Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Scythe» Forums » Variants

Subject: Elder Scythe - A Lovecraftian Unofficial Mini Campaign. Now in Version 2.0! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Cthulhu [+] Scythe [+] Lovecraftian [+] [View All]
Mark Caro
msg tools
To commemorate H.P. Lovecraft's 128th Birthday, here is a very unofficial Mythos inspired mini campaign for Scythe. Hope you all enjoy![geekurl=https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HFsRIQtPnILmnSaReZdWfth40VXAVran]Elder Scythe[/geekurl]

UPDATED to 2.0!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Elder Scythe - A Lovecraftian Unofficial Mini Campaign.
This is awesome, Mark! I read through the campaign, and I like that you used the general format in The Rise of Fenris, but with a very Cthulhu twist to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HerikeriJoe wrote:
To commemorate H.P. Lovecraft's 128th Birthday, here is a very unofficial Mythos inspired mini campaign for Scythe. Hope you all enjoy!Elder Scythe
Ftfy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you need Fenris for this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Caro
msg tools
Nope, RoF is not a hard requirement, as
I made an shortened version of the Campaign Rule from RoF so that this supplement can be either run before RoF or on its own.

@Mr. Stegmaier: Thanks for the high praise! It means quite a bit to hear that my work is admired by the ACTUAL creator of Scythe. I feel in love with Scythe playing it both against the automa and using the multiplayer automa rules!

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sudlow
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds interesting. Are there any spoilers for Fenris in there, in terms of variations on surprises, new mechanics and the like?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Caro
msg tools
Thanks Dirk for fixing the link. Much appreciated mate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Caro
msg tools
Nope, no Rise of Fenris spoilers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cins Cins
msg tools
mbmb
Great!

Are you interested in an italian traduction?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Caro
msg tools
Sure, why not!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
victor magana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awsome! Do you have a print friendly version of the Cthulhu playmat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Caro
msg tools
Sure, I can do that, thanks for the interest in possibly wanting to use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
Belgium
LLN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome work !

For those who don't own a 3D printer, the Reaper Miniatures "Bones" line has some cool minis at affordable price :

- The Bathalian centurions would make nice faction mechs
http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/bones%20sci-fi/latest/8...
- Cthulhu
http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/bones%20pulp/latest/775...
- Cultists
http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/bones%20cultist/latest/...
- Lovecraft
http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Bones/latest/80065

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Caro
msg tools
Thanks for that addition! Kodos for finding these!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W

Arizona
msg tools
Two guys walk into a bar, the third one ducks!
badge
That's it, that's the whole joke.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this cool setting, I'm looking to play it with some friends, after we finish ROF. I'm looking playing around with making custom campaign logs for this as well. I was wondering, is there any in campaign purpose for wealth, or only to carry over for ROF? And if one is running this after ROF do you see any issue with allowing the perks?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Caro
msg tools
I am very interested to see how your play through goes! I didn't want the wealth or perks because I didn't want to give anything away about RoF, but I see no harm in including the perks system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Caro
msg tools
As per custom campaign logs, I didn't see the need to include anything of such nature as RoF's campaign log is more than adequate.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TheJsmaster
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I can't wait to try this mini-campaign.
I have just one question... How many of every figures should I print? I don't want to look everywhere in the text book so i won't spoil myself to much.

Thank!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian James
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
I have some questions about the mechanics of the scenario. Would this be the right place to ask questions like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Caro
msg tools
In general, I would say for the cultists about 8 figs, 4 Cthulhu mechs, and 1 Cthulhu. As for playing the Cthulhu faction, use whatever goes unused for faction tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Caro
msg tools
@zombienikuchan, sure, ask away! I would love to hear any and all comments, complaints, and questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian James
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
Ok! So before I start, I have many questions about the mechanics of the module. Obviously, this would lead to spoilers for the campaign and modules if people want to be surprised. Also, there may be some spoilers for Rise Of Fenris, as I make reference to how some mechanics work in that.

This all started when I saw the module, printed it, then sat down with a friend to play the first episode. But then we ran into some problems.

******SPOILERS*********

When setting up for the first episode, it states to "place 8 unused faction workers each on one random woods not adjacent to a players starting peninsula." Later in special rules, it states that "no more than one cultist may be on a territory at a time." By my count there are only 7 woods areas in the game. And 2 are actually within starting player areas. So my question is where exactly do I place the 8 cultists?

As a fix, I tried placing them the same way the Fenris meeples are placed in Episode 4 of ROF, but with how they move it looked like they would soon come into someone's home base in a few turns and wreck house, in addition to only being able to use 7 so that there weren't 2 on the factory. Long story short, I couldnt come up with much of a work around for this.

To offer constructive criticism, I hope you don't mind me sharing some thoughts on what I would do for this. I felt inspired by Episode 4 of ROF, as mentioned earlier, so I would probably copy some mechanics from that and Desolation. I would say to have them each start on the 6 spaces surrounding the factory, and only to start with 6 cultists. For movement, I would have them move individually as they do in Desolation, such that you roll a die and that would determine their direction of movement, but keep the idea that you can only have one on each space. This would help reflect the random and chaotic nature of cultists. To keep from having someone get totally mobbed by cultists, I would say that they can't cross into the 3 starting hexes of any playing faction.

Also, I'm not exactly clear on how combat with the cultists works. In the PDF, it states "when one of your combat units moves into a territory containing a cultist, initiate combat normally. How exactly does that work? It stated in setup that you place a popularity token on 8 on the power track, so I'm assuming that means that they are each at a static value of 8 for combat. This seemed to be a little too simplistic. These are the cultists of cthulhu and should be powerful, but also chaotic and unpredictable.

What I would do for combat is to have the power of the cult be tied to the number of it's members. This would have the cult start with a power of 6. When a cultist comes into contact with a worker, all but 1 worker would retreat. The worker left behind would be converted, replaced with a cultist, and then the cult's power would go up. This cultist would move in a different direction of the other on the next turn. If the cult's power ever reaches 13, then they have the power to summon Cthulhu, ending the game in a "bad end."

If a combat unit encounters a cultist, then they fight similarly to how it works in desolation: either roll a die and add it to their power or draw one combat card to add to their power. This makes the cultists a force to be reckoned with, but not too over the top if you use multiple units.

As an alternate idea, once there are less than 3 cultists, then their movement turn would automatically be to head to the sanctuary of the factory (since players can't occupy that tile) and force the players to finish the game with 6 stars instead.

And that's my thoughts for the first Episode. What do you think? Am I totally off base and skipped reading a section?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Scherhaufer
msg tools
Hi!
quickly asking - the link doesn´t work for me, can you help me with that? I´m really interested in this very unofficial expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Holmgren
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Good observations Ian, I was planning on trying this out during the holidays, but also ran into a snag immediately.

Normally, there will only be 5-7 Woods to place the 8 Cultists on.
Am I to assume that Cultists can share the same territory at the start, but may not move into a cultist-occupied territory later on? (Contradicting "No more than one cultist may be on a territory at a time.") Or should only 5-7 Cultists be placed?

I also don't understand how they move?
First of all, do they really move after each player turn? So player 1 acts, Cultists move, Player 2 acts, cultists move, player 3 acts, cultists move and so on?

It says: "Move each cultist one territory in the neighborhood of the closest faction occupied territory without any combats."

Should this be "Move each cultist one territory in the [direction] of the closest non-Cultist occupied territory without any combat [units]"?

Also, as said, how to initiate combat "normally" if they have 8 Power which is never used? Do they get a Combat card for losing with their 0 Power Dial? Can they use that Combat Card later on? Or are they simply removed by a combat unit, with no combat taking place? I assume you always have to beat 8 Power, while the Cultists spend no Combat cards and receive none when losing, and that's it?

In Episode 2, the problem with the cultists remain. It also says "Place one Cthulhu mech on any territory adjacent to a cultist, but not [near any adjacent territory with] an Encounter token."

Should "near any adjacent territory with" be "on any territory adjacent to"?
And if so, this leaves us with exactly one valid territory, the lake southeast of the factory. Is this the intent?
And again, if the 8 Power is not spent in combat, how are they supposed to win? Or do they always have 8 Power in combat?

As Cultists move "after each player", the Cthulhu mech will also move after each player, meaning the game will always be over in like turn 3-4, which I assume is not the intent?

And again, in episode 3ab, the mechs will move to the nearest occupied territory. Lets say it's just a 3-player game (so 1 player uses the Cthulhu mechs). This means that after player 1 does his turn 1, 2 Cthulhu mechs will move and send player 2s two workers home, and the other two Cthulhu mechs will do the same to player 3. Seems a bit rough?

Or are they supposed to move "towards" the nearest occupied territory? Can they enter peninsulas? Or as they are actually under the control of a player, should that player control them entirely, and they don't follow any automatic rules at all?
I assume the "place popularity token on 8 on the power track" ties on with the faction ability of using workers to attack, and they need to spend 2 of their 'special power' to attack (so can do that 4x times)?
Or do they need to spend their normal popularity, and the "8 special power" is just a reminder that the cultists and mechs never spend more or less than 8 power in combat?
However, it also seems like the Cthulhu faction functions as a standard faction. So can the cultists produce like normal? Or is the player supposed to have their player mat with 6 workers and 2 on his/her home territory, while having 5-7(8) special extra workers out in the woods representing cultists? Does the Cthulhu faction have a character (the icon is on the faction mat)?
If they don't have either their own 'normal' mechs and no character, can they use their Power for anything other than Produce? Can they use their combat cards?

It also seems like Lovecraft has his own Power score (of 7) in addition to the score of the controlling player? How does that work? The first time he is attacked by a Cthulhu mech, he will then be defeated I assume (7 vs 8)?
If you can use your faction combat cards to bolster Lovecraft, he will still face a pretty crazy onslaught of Cthulhu mechs, which means either he will be dead long before he has had a chance to remain on the Factory for 6 turns (specially since the Cthulhu mechs will retreat to nearby lakes).

What does the +2 Power part of Flying Terror do, as the mechs always have 8 Power anyway? Is it just to make producing easier (i.e. no need to do Bolster)?

In general, it seems like the rules are a bit confused as to if a player is controlling the Cthulhu faction, or if they are run by an automa?

Or are the cultists and Cthulhu mechs supposed to run around willy-nilly, and then once per round the controlling player can shift them about a bit? The Cthulhu factions starts with 4 Power, yet the mechs and cultists have 8? How does that work?

Dunno, I really like the idea (as I have written before), but the rules require a bit more fine-tuning to be playable I think...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Caro
msg tools
I have read your suggestions, and after play testing this campaign myself with a friend of mine, I agree that the cultist are a bit on the wonky side. I like how you handle them, and will take your suggest and use them in an updated version.

Thanks for the PEACH! Ia, Ia and all that jazz!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |