Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Campbell
United States
Excelsior
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not claiming "expert status" here, but I've played Colosseum about a half dozen times and I think I'm beginning to get the feel for some strategies for this game. Unfortunately, I think my family is zeroing-in on some strategies, too. Our games are getting much tighter (which is not a bad thing). Feel free to comment or add your thoughts.

Here are a few of my thoughts on the game:

Use Nobles to collect Emperor Medals - This is why I think it's a good idea to buy the Loge in Turn 1 (there is another thread dedicated to this in the strategy section). With two dice you have the potential to get two medals in a turn. In the first few turns I concentrate on Medals and I don't worry about scooting the Emperor's hiney into my stadium. Medals give you a lot of flexibility for the end game, including bringing the Nobles into your stadium in the last turn.

Plan for Turn 5 in Turn 1 - This is the real key to winning the game. You need to be shaping your cast of assets for one of the third tier Event Programs. You need to be expanding your stadium right away. Keep an eye on what others are collecting. If you have your eye on a particular Big Event Program, you may need to scoop it up before others get it. This may be financially difficult in turns 1 - 3. Keep your eye on the prize.

Stay Out of the Lead (until Turn 5, of course) - In the first few turns you need to stay out of the lead. Sure, you get those nice little +3 podiums, but the ability to have your assets nibbled away can be devasting to your end game. In fact, I suggest sandbagging it a couple of times so you come in last (not by much, mind you...you still need to bring in the cash) and can exercise that cherry-picking ability.

Star Performers - Try to get at least 1, preferably 2, for your final event. Don't be afraid to make a trade that loses you the Star Performer for an older event (one that you no longer need).

Asset Attrition - In the trading phase, always look for ways to get 1 additional asset beyond the event's required number (i.e. if the event calls for 2 Gladiators, try to secure a third). This way you can absorb the end of turn attrition and be ready to re-use the event, if necessary.

Don't get distracted by the Season Tickets - They're expensive and take three turns to get a monetary ROI. I think it's okay to pick up one or two toward the end, if you are already set for your big finale (i.e. stadium expansions, event programs etc.) You won't get an ROI, but since money doesn't really matter (other than tie-breakers) it may give you a boost over the top in spectators.

That's all for now. Probably nothing too earth-shattering here. I hope it helps anyone new to the game.

Discuss among yourselves...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eleon Forsht
United States
College Park
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with most of this except the "Don't get distracted by the Season Tickets -"

While the lodge is powerful, it is a bit of luck if it works for you, or is useless in the game.

The Season Tickets are a powerful force to get extra money for the rest of the game. I view it as investments, as I spend 10 now, and in 2 turns I made the money back and in 5 turns I have 15 cash advantage. Now I would not do it, if you do not have the metals to take extra turn one actions to make sure you can buy events and upgrade you stadium, but if you have a bit of extra cash around, it pays for itself in two turn (the current and the next), and that 5 extra points can win you the game if it is close in the end.

Just my 2 copper,
-Eleon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Campbell
United States
Excelsior
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played a game where I counted too much on the medals. It was the fourth turn and I was hoping to bring a noble onto one of the medal spaces so I could make two investments in the Fifth turn. My extra investment would have been a Season Ticket.

I rolled the dice and not one noble could get me a medal. I ended up with only one investment, which was the final 4-piece stadium expansion.

I finished with 75 points. Another player tied me, but I had more cash...but in the end the last player to count their points won the game with 77 points.

Lesson learned: Lady luck is a season ticket holder.

But I stand by my advice of buying Season Tickets sparingly and preferably only when you have an extra investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryant Forsgren
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the last round, it's not a good idea to use two medals for an extra investment in season tickets. Two medals are worth 6 spectators, and the season tickets are only worth 5. However, if you have the "extra investment" token it's obviously a good move to turn it in to get season tickets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Campbell
United States
Excelsior
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh true. Good point, I had forgotten about the spectator value of the medals. Even so, the extra medal would have put me over the top in either form during that particular game. Come to think of it, I believe I ended up using the one medal I had for the +3 spectator value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Rowswell
United States
knob noster
US Armed Forces - Americas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have only played like two games of this but my thought is that you must get a four size Colosseum or you are out of the running for the game. Doing one of the huge spectacles is a very big deal. I like to use the double build with the emperor medals to expand and buy a new events each turn. Also staying in front seems to be a good idea those plus three podiums help alot. and I usually can offset my loss thru trades.

just my thoughts on the subject
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabrio Secco
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can use a medal to let the imperator enter in your arena (moving him back for example) , a medal is worth 7. Even if you need to use 2 medals for the emperor, 7 is better than the standard 6 for 2 medals (and of course better than 5 if you use the medals for the extra investiment + ticket) :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
England
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Azorius Senate
mbmbmbmbmb
Major Sholto wrote:

Stay Out of the Lead (until Turn 5, of course) -...

That's strange, I have only played this a few times and I think every game the person with the most +3 Podiums has won. I suppose we have done alot of trading, and if we didn't trade wtih the guy who has the most podiums he would probably not win due to losing that extra asset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holmstrom
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
That's strange, I have only played this a few times and I think every game the person with the most +3 Podiums has won.

I've won a couple of times with 0 +3 Podiums. Last time I won, I was in 5th place the first 4 rounds, and those extra assets won me the game in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
japhmi wrote:
Quote:
That's strange, I have only played this a few times and I think every game the person with the most +3 Podiums has won.

I've won a couple of times with 0 +3 Podiums. Last time I won, I was in 5th place the first 4 rounds, and those extra assets won me the game in the end.

I've seen the guy with 4 podia be in last place after turn 5.

it varies a lot by luck of the draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.