Popular Tags: [View All]
Pavils Jurjans
Latvia
Riga
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I've found the 'official' TSoC variants "Jungle" and "Volcaon" on the Mayfair Games site. They come from Klaus Teuber himself.

I was wondering if you guys/gals have played them and have some insights. While reading them, some questions have popped up, so I thought I'd ask them here:

The Jungle variant:
1. It is not specified wether it is allowed to build the initial two settlements by the jungle hex. I'd think it is not allowed in order not to give unfair advantage of first turn makers. Yet, it's not stipulated there.
2. It is said there "Up to three Discovery Counters may be used on each card purchase". Though the "card" is in sigular here, still it's a bit unclear, wether I could buy, say, *two* cards, using 5 discovery tokens, plus one ore (or sheep, or wheat).
3. It does not explicitly say, whether robber can be put on the jungle hex during the later game

The Volcano Variant:
1. It refers to "Gold variant" as to an optional rule. But, without that rule, its somewhat too plain, that having the settlement/city by the volcano does not bring any benefit. Why is this "gold variant" optional?
3. It does not explicitly say, wether robber can be put on the volcano hex during the later game
4. What's that "Krakatoa" variant?

Ok, that's it. I hope someone could answer this with enough "officialness"

Cheers,

Passiday

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Evett
United States
Dallas
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:The
Our group only plays Settlers with the Jungle variant now. It speeds up game time significantly, adds more cards to the game (which is fun), and in a 4 player game keeps the start player from being in such a bad spot. First, the rules state that the Robber begins on the Jungle and states no rule change to the original rule that you can build next to the desert. The rules also state that "up to three discovery counters may be used on each card purchase" -- a purchase is defined in the original rules as a single item. These tokens are very powerful if you follow the rules and don't make them part of hand size or stealable. We make them part of handsize and use 4 or 10 for the resource number. That seems about right. If we made them not part of handsize (as per the rules) we might want to change the resource number to 3 or 11. -- PAE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Zogat
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our games we play with a Volcano Tile. All my tiles I use are 3D and hand made by myself so it looks like a volcano.

I never thought of not allowing settlements to be placed on the tile at the start. Since our volcano tiles always get a 2 or 12 it doesn't usually provide enough of an advantage to any player, so some prefer to go for tiles with 8's on them instead.

Haven't used a Jungle tile as of yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Baumer
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jungle variant:
1. It is not specified wether it is allowed to build the initial two settlements by the jungle hex. I'd think it is not allowed in order not to give unfair advantage of first turn makers. Yet, it's not stipulated there.
2. It is said there "Up to three Discovery Counters may be used on each card purchase". Though the "card" is in sigular here, still it's a bit unclear, wether I could buy, say, *two* cards, using 5 discovery tokens, plus one ore (or sheep, or wheat).
3. It does not explicitly say, whether robber can be put on the jungle hex during the later game

You can start next to the jungle, use more than 3 tokens for multiple cards, and put the robber on the jungle.

The Volcano Variant:
1. It refers to "Gold variant" as to an optional rule. But, without that rule, its somewhat too plain, that having the settlement/city by the volcano does not bring any benefit. Why is this "gold variant" optional?
3. It does not explicitly say, wether robber can be put on the volcano hex during the later game
4. What's that "Krakatoa" variant?

Having the vulcano errupt WITHOUT gold production was actually the first (and IMHO better) variant. Depending on the vulcano number, its often still worthwhile to build next to a vulcano if the other two hexas have good values. A 2/12 vulcano kills your cities once every 216 turns (i.e. most likely never in a game), even an extreme 6/8 vulcano "only" once every 43 turns.
You can put the robber to block gold production, but you don't prevent the eruption itself.
Krakatoa is a Seafarers variant: Make an island of 3 vulcano hexes. Obviously with gold production.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dickinson
United States
Mineral Ridge
Ohio
flag msg tools
We use the jungle to produce the jungle tokens (with The Book), except that it takes SIX to trade in for one Victory Point, not 3 (this balances the fact that you don't need to transport it ala the "colonies" scenario). The Volcano also produces TWO of anything instead of one, but you can't start on it, and if it erupts, it also completely destroys a city rather than downgrade it into a settlement. A city produces THREE cards on a Volcano. We've been playtesting it the past few games, and it's worked out pretty well. Many cities and settlements have fallen, but people still build there.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.