Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Burns
United States
Troy
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Figured the fans would appreciate a session report. This was my first three player game of CE ever, and it was quite good. True, CE is not as good with three but definitely is still a fine option.

NOTE: My set is an AH set that I've expanded myself to be a full boat Eon version, plus with 25 of the best homebrewed powers out there. One of those homebrews made it into this game, Scavenger, developed in the '80s by CE fans James Beach and James Rasfeld and published in the old Encounter magazine.

As we had a newbie, we played single-power, no Flares, no Lucre, no moons. Actually, I've still never played a game with moons.

Powers at the table: Sorceror, Scavenger, and Skeptic (me). The Skeptic in my set is a slightly beefed-up version, thanks to Patrick Riley -- Skeptic loses 2 extra tokens if he doubts the other guy and loses; Skeptic's opponent loses 4 extra tokens if he double doubts and loses. After a brief run-through of the rules and the deck
distribution, we got to playing.

It was a great game because people were managing their hands and judiciously asking for allies. External bases were established steadily, and never easily. With one newbie and one guy who had only played one time before, I wasn't expecting such a good "flow" of the game, so it was nice to find myself in a real contest.

Scavenger is an extremely well-designed power. The newbie who had it was starting to wonder when he'd get to use it, as it clearly states Scavenger can only go into the discard pile when he's entitled to consolation or defensive rewards. I told him to be patient; when Scavenger does go in, it's a doozy. Sure enough, he got his opportunity when he and I were both at 3 external bases, Sorceror at 4, and he made it count, sifting through the pile and pulling out a 30 we all knew had gone in there, plus a X3 Kicker.

Scavenger's turn, first challenge. He slaps down a Kicker and then a Compromise, "just knowing" that Sorceror's going to switch. Sure enough, Sorceror does, and Scavenger is passed some low Attack card or other (I think a 4 or a 6, something that X3 would not equal 30 for sure). Sorceror, though, is now entitled to consolation for his two ships
lost, though, and Scavenger's got three cards left -- he plucks two cards from Scavenger's hand and unwittingly makes an "oh baby" sound. Somehow I forget he's got the 30, though, later.

Scavenger then faces me, now at 4 external bases. One card, and I know it's got to be a challenge card, because his turn isn't over. He comes at me with four tokens, I've got 3 tokens (I think) on the planet, both of us ask Sorceror to ally (I explained to Scavenger the prestige of a solo win over a shared win, but he didn't care), but
wanting the solo win for himself, Sorceror allies with me with 4 tokens. I've got an 8, a Comp, and a Cosmic Zap in my hand. I'm pretty sure that the one card Scavenger has is not the 30, but hey, he's going for the win, time to pull out all the stops -- I DOUBT he's going to win. That makes him pause for a second (which gave me even more confidence), but he presses on, hoping for the win. I play the 8, his card is shown to be a 6. Big hurt on him - 8 tokens to the Warp, and no win. The token difference is enough that had Sorceror allied with him, they would have won, but hey.

Sorceror's turn now, and he flips my color. Scavenger rallies to my defense with four tokens. By this time, I've forgotten that Sorceror has the 30, but I know all I have is the Comp, so now I start hoping I can get him to switch. Sorceror really hoses Skeptic because Skeptic has to doubt BEFORE cards are played, and if I doubt Sorceror at this point, it'll be too obvious a bluff and Sorceror won't switch. After all, we all know Sorceror can switch, so let's keep it uncertain. I decide to try another way to bluff him, though. I Cosmic Zap him.

My thinking with Cosmic Zap on Sorceror (and now he'll see I have ONE card left, the card I'm playing in the challenge) is that he'll think that by Zapping him, I'm ensuring he won't switch my 40 or 20 or whatever big huge Attack card I have. Sorceror throws down the Un-Zap, and I say, "rats". Doesn't matter, though, the bluff is still on.

I throw down the Comp, Sorceror plays a card. He won't switch. Now, I really think "rats". Sure enough, it's the 30, and he's creamed me for the win. Good game; well played.

I love CE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Burns
United States
Troy
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Session Report
Oops... as was pointed out to me by uber-fan Gerald Katz, I made a play error, that wouldn't have happened if I'd followed my own advice to the other guys ("the card will tell you when you can play it"). You can't Zap someone until they try to use their power. Ah well, it had no effect on the outcome or any part of the rest of the game, as it ended then. Playing close to the rules would have meant I would have held the Cosmic Zap, and Sorceror the Un-Zap; if the game hadn't ended then, that might have made a difference.

I've heard some like to play with "pre-emptive" Zaps; this game illustrates that playing that way is quite unfair to holders of an Un-Zap, who should only have to play that card if he gets Zapped trying to use his power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiny Epic Trickster
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Down along the creek, I remember something
mbmbmbmbmb
rjburns3 (#35290),

Thanks for the great SR! I don't get to play my favorite game very often, so your report gave me a vicarious CE fix.

Especially the "oh, baby" part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Collins
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rjburns3 (#35290),
I am looking for the Mayfair Version of Cosmic Encounter, I already have Mayfairs Simply Cosmic, and More Cosmic Encounter, I need the basic set which I understand is out of print, but I would like to find a used copy of it, or at least the Alians and Flares from the game, if you know of any store that might sell it or a person that has it and is willing to sell it to me, please let me know, please foreward this email to anyone that might be able to help me,

Also, I wouldnt mind getting my hands on an EON version with all nine expansions, but I know this will be nearly impossible. or please put me on your want/wish list if you have one.

please email me as I am not sure how to find your resonce on here

THanks,
Ed Collins
Shred121569@aol.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.