Popular Tags: [View All]
Shane Avery
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Grandpa Vader
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first 5 games and finally defeated the Martians with the traditional rules. I believe that this should be a game that we win only 10-20% of the time. This would be a difficult hurdle in real life. Of course, with enough time, the germ would wipe out the invaders ANYWAYS.

The first 2 cylinders dropped in Wales and the boys began to prepare a hearty defense in Southampton, to block the obvious advancement on London. A few regiments deployed explosives in Bristol and Birmingham, while another marched on the 2nd cylinder in Wales, but were rapidly dispatched by the assembling machine. With the addition of a 5th machine to the first wave, all eyes turned to Southampton as the defensive line. A fortuitous turn of events gave us an extra generous production and we were able to eventually place a field gun with 3 cannons and a cavalry in the region. Without the benefit of the cover of hills, we did not hold much hope. But the explosives in the previous regions took out 3 machines of the 9 in the two advancing waves. The first wave to take on our boys in Southampton were then reduced to nothing more than metal wreckage. During the battle, a lucky event occurred when a machine walked onto one of the cannons, and ignited loose gunpowder, reducing both to more wreckage.

That night, a 3rd wave landed in Scotland and rapidly advanced down the west side of the country, destroying everything in its path. The 2nd wave advanced on Southampton, to utterly destroy the defenses there. Only 2 damaged fighting machines survived to move on London. They harassed the citizens there for days, with many refugees luckily escaping through the port there, but causing little damage. The martians did manage to repair both their machines and began assembly of what appeared to be a great flying machine. But the resistance in Southampton remained fierce, despite their earlier defeat, and 2 additional cannon and an infantry unit were able to lay a trap for the invaders in London itself, and eventually damage and defeat the 2nd wave.

This occurred as the full 3rd wave finally reduced Birmingham to waste. A 4th and 5th cylinder landed in Wales and Scotland again, but no additional waves came from those cylinders. Perhaps the metal-heads decided to remain inside, after the thrashing we gave their brothers in Southampton and London. We will never know, because as the Martian destruction and colonization of England appeared to closing, with 85 points on the board, and near completion of their great flying machine, the germ ravaged the invaders, reducing them to rotting corpses.

One more Martian activation phase and it would have been over for England.

I got the discolored assembly machines and the purple (instead of blue) circles on the Battle Cards. My only complaints to an otherwise very enjoyable game. It would be nice to have an errata sheet we could print with the modified flying machine rules. I have played with them and they still leave the game tough, but it is winnable. The current rules make completion of the machine an almost near certainty. That change is a great addition to a game where you are always uncertain of victory. Just like the book. Thanks!

“By the toll of a billion deaths man has bought his birthright of the earth, and it is his against all comers; it would still be his were the Martians ten times as mighty as they are. For neither do men live nor die in vain.”
― H.G. Wells, The War of the Worlds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel G

Washington
msg tools
Shane,

Wonderful review, felt like I was there! Glad to hear the humans can win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Clarke
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PyroDoctor wrote:
I believe that this should be a game that we win only 10-20% of the time.
No worries there with this game - LOL!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Should be a session report, not a review, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Verssen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your AAR! I feel like a multi-page story could be written about this game based on the paragraphs you just wrote up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls