Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2  | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Midwest

Subject: Looking for stores/great deals in Minneapolis, Madison and Milwaukee rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laladien wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
There aren't great stores in the Milwaukee area at all. There are a few "good, and getting better" stores - notably TK Games and Games Universe. They were both horrible under their previous owner (also the owner of Minion Games), but when he sold them off, the new owners of both entities have taken many strides to improve.

As for deals, nothing cheaper than MSRP, and if you want any chance of deals, you need to avoid Board Game Barrister at all costs - the owner of those stores likes marking things above MSRP.

I do agree with Ryan that I'm Board is a very nice store. Still wouldn't call it "great", but better than anything in the Milwaukee area (unless you want to call Fond du Lac part of the Milwaukee area).

A not great update to this - Games Universe has taken a page from Barrister and is now charging more than MSRP for many games. Several times I've gone in and found something I wanted and was willing to pay significantly more than online to get it then (in one case, online was $25 below MSRP) and then I saw that the price at Games Universe was $5-10 MORE than MSRP. Sorry, not doing that.

I've also observed this. Last time I was in, every game I looked at was marked up. Ended up browsing and buying on Amazon instead. It's sad - these local stores tend to lament the loss of revenue from board games (relying on Magic to carry them), but then mark games up so much that it's smarter to buy them on Amazon or other online stores...

For a local store, I'm even willing to pay MSRP (which is almost always more than Amazon or other online stores), because I support good local stores and want to see them make it. However, a retailer, going above MSRP for something they got at wholesale prices from a distributor is a big no-no to me. And if they had to go outside normal distribution channels to find something specificallyfor a customer, then more than MSRP is quite possibly okay as well.

To me, the worst part is I've brought it up to his employees, telling them that it's cost him multiple sales now, and every time they've said they'd bring it up to him (including one that had my name and a way for him to contact me - it was on FB), but I've seen no change and gotten no response from anyone about it. I would say it's close to $500 in sales specifically lost from me because of this (since I first noticed it this summer), along with probably even more since I've stopped bothering to look there most of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Sellers
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Try again later!
mbmbmbmbmb
MSRP is fine and I'm always willing to support local stores, but going over without any real reason is enough to turn me away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
Not sure if you've made it to Minneapolis yet but there is a newer shop called All Systems Go that has a nice section of used games. I've gotten some great deals there and it's right across the street from Young Joni, a James Beard Award winning restaurant with a fun bar menu.
As well as Dangerous Man, if you'd rather just have a beer.

I stopped in there last winter when I was up visiting my parents, as it's the closest game shop to their house, and had a nice chat with the owners. They've had an eBay store for many years and only opened this storefront recently. I wouldn't say they have a huge selection of used games, but there was some good variety and prices were reasonable.

One thing they do that I thought was cool is renting games to take home for a week. Much as I don't mind checking out a demo copy at the FLGS, being able to try something out at home with friends (or have an epic TI4 day without anyone being out $150) has a lot of appeal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |