Popular Tags: [View All]
Björn Fink
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...finished with 15 points VS. the Alliance winning with 30, cats 28 and Vagabound 26. I know its the first game but i saw no chance for me to do something, especially the turmoil part, its so easy for other players to mess with you and force you to go to turmoil. Any tips? Strategys?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xbjoernx wrote:
...finished with 15 points VS. the Alliance winning with 30, cats 28 and Vagabound 26. I know its the first game but i saw no chance for me to do something, especially the turmoil part, its so easy for other players to mess with you and force you to go to turmoil. Any tips? Strategys?

Birds only in Build. Recruit can have other suits (if you have bases). At least one bird in Move (to get you into a clearing that you can move out of). Non-bird Move cards matching a Recruit card works well (you can always move the one you just recruited to get it to the front). Try to have at least one bird in each action and well protect at least one of each clearing type that you have non-bird recruit cards in.

As you expand, keep a decent amount of forces in a "wall" around your territory. Don't forget that you win ties for rule, which helps you build (you don't have to kill all enemies to build, just rule the clearing).

Plan to make "non-optimum" moves to meet your decree. For example, you may have to use a bird move to reinforce a clearing enough to rule and move out of.

Marching around with a large force lets you burn extra move actions (since you rule each clearing once you move into it). You can also move back and forth between clearings or move forces one at a time (to take "two" moves from clearing A to clearing B). This is a bit less helpful with the Alliance around, but the Eyrie don't really need cards that much.

Likewise, if you have a non-bird suit in Battle, you can always send a single warrior into a matching enemy-ruled clearing as a sacrifice to meet your Decree. If they kill an enemy, good for them. If they die, you have less to worry about not having warriors to recruit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyp Ganner
Belgium
flag msg tools
I'd say you may have played correctly, but it seems someone tried a bit too hard to stop you when they should have focused on someone else.

One of the things I find very difficult in this game is to know who to attack and when to change targets. I guess it becomes easier when you get more familiar with the different factions and what makes them tick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Fink
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think i concentrated to much on the cats...and i had very bad luck...about 4 times i attacked, the cat player had an ambush card that i couldnt cancel. And very early in the game i made a planing mistake which lead to a to soon turmoil. Next time i have to play more concentrated. I joust found its so hard to plan ahead and to resolve the decree...the other players can just play ahead and the eyrie has to play some sort of Roborally. As Player of the other factions i can react to changing situations on the board better...as eyrie i have to fullfill my decree...thats i think way harder then just react to a changing board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Heitzinger
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Basically, you need to get somewhat lucky and get some bird cards. Put only bird cards in battle and build, unless you have a situation on the board where you can guarantee your 'rabbit/fox/mouse attack' can happen every single turn. I would never put a second card under build unless the game is very close to ending.

You can only afford to have so many troops get recruited each turn, maybe four at best. If you grow too quickly, you may turmoil from not having enough guys left to recuit, which would mean you lose your entire turn, basically game losing.

As such, the only spot you can put cards 'safely' is under move, and that's what you should do. Waste actions moving units back and forth in order to satisfy your decree (seems fitting for a militia meeting pointless quotas in order to satisfy a dictator).

Ideally, you don't want to turmoil at all, but depending on some things out of your control, it may happen anyways. Eyrie are probably the most vulnerable to getting ganged up on because of how much is lost when they turmoil (other factions at worst lose a turn. Eyrie lose vps, a turn, and their engine). As such, the eyrie need to really talk with the table and keep attacks off of them for as long as possible.

I really haven't played the game in its full wargame glory yet. All games so far have felt more like a euro due to players still getting the hang of their character. Any imbalances should fix themselves with table talk bringing good ol' alliances and betrayals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Fink
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played another 3 player game yesterday (Eyrie, WA, Cats)...again with the Eyrie and lost again with 15 Points. I think its so hard to get points with the Eyrie. The Cats can easy make 4+ Points in a single round with buildings and when the WA gets the engine rolin with commanders they can make also easy 4-8 Points in a single round, even when the Eyrie builds a roost every round they still get just 3 points at the end of round three, meaning they got 7 Points in three Rounds...and that just with the luck nobody destroys their roost. I still dont see how you can win with the Eyrie. Also you are constantly running out of cards, you draw one maybe two cards in the beginning...i drawed 3 mouse cards in a row...meaning i couldnt do something usefull with my decree. I really dont see where the "strength" of this faction is...they just have penaltys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xbjoernx wrote:
Played another 3 player game yesterday (Eyrie, WA, Cats)...again with the Eyrie and lost again with 15 Points. I think its so hard to get points with the Eyrie. The Cats can easy make 4+ Points in a single round with buildings and when the WA gets the engine rolin with commanders they can make also easy 4-8 Points in a single round,
If the Cats or WA are making 4+ points in a round, you aren't being aggressive enough. Cats earning 4+ points per turn requires 4+ wood per turn. Disrupt Cat supply lines (if they cannot connect wood to a building space through ruled clearings, they cannot build with it). Also, destroy sawmills.
For WA, don't let them spawn a bunch of warriors. Earning large amounts of VP without warriors at the end is difficult since Sympathy costs so many supporters. Either destroy bases or sit on them with a large group (so warriors can't move off the base).

Quote:
even when the Eyrie builds a roost every round they still get just 3 points at the end of round three, meaning they got 7 Points in three Rounds...and that just with the luck nobody destroys their roost.
Cats and WA probably don't earn more than 7 points in the first 3 rounds either. Cats are limited by wood, and WA are limited by supporters.
On their 4th turn onward, Eyrie can earn a steady 3-5 VP per turn (typically 4 on average). If you aren't able to get (and keep) 4+ roosts out, you aren't defending them well enough.

Quote:
I still dont see how you can win with the Eyrie. Also you are constantly running out of cards, you draw one maybe two cards in the beginning...i drawed 3 mouse cards in a row...meaning i couldnt do something usefull with my decree.
The Eyrie don't really need many cards. Just 1 per turn for their decree. More cards just give you more options. Throw non-birds into move, recruit, or battle.

Quote:
I really dont see where the "strength" of this faction is...they just have penaltys.
The Eyrie strength is the number of actions they get. As they're decree grows, they can do more per turn. After a few turns, you are getting 6-8 actions per turn. The Cats are much more limited (can only do 3 actions without spending bird cards), and WA rely on supporters (reliant on others and diminishing returns) or officers (too many officers limit available warriors).

They also don't have to do anything to earn VP (they earn VP for just having roosts). With a decent number of roosts out, they earn 4 VP/turn, just by being there. At that point all they have to do is defend their buildings and prevent others from scoring points, and can use all their actions to do so. Cats have to choose build vs attack. WA has to decide whether to battle with warriors or use them to spread sympathy...spreading 1 sympathy via warriors requires 3 officer actions...1) recruit, 2) move, 3) organize.

Eyrie are the timekeepers of the game. They automatically earn VP each turn, so a longer game benefits them. Once they have roosts out, they mainly try to disrupt others and keep them from out-earning points.

Cats are engine builders. If you let them get their engine going, they can earn a lot of points per turn, so don't let them build.

WA earn VP slowly (and slow down) until they get a base out. Bases let them earn large amounts of points via Organize (especially at the end of the game when Sympathy is expensive to earn otherwise), so contain the bases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zi Ray
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Hey man!

There are a few insightful strategy threads going around surrounding the Eyrie:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2053786/lets-discuss-eyrie
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2038582/eyrie-opening-strat...
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2051366/cat-starting-positi...

There's also this post by deadmarlowe that is extremely insightful to the political and meta strategies of the game:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/29949365#29949365

If you don't have time to read them, I can briefly summarize what I have learned from my experiences so far:

* Building 1 Roost per turn uninterrupted will net you 19 VP before you are forced to turmoil with no more Roosts to build, this means Eyrie requires another way to score points to win without turmoil;

* The common intuitive strategy is to pick the Despot leader(Move and Build Viziers, 2VP for destroying opponent piece) and attempt to manage an ever growing decree while simultaneously destroying enough opponent cardboard to win the game without Turmoil. However, this strategy is risky as experienced opponents will attempt to manipulate you into turmoil. In this instance, your troops are probably spread thin with many bird cards in your decree, turmoiling here deals you a huge penalty that is hard to recover from. However,

* Turmoil is not always so bad. In-fact, a planned turmoil is an extremely viable strategy - I give a detailed example down below in italics.

* Strongly consider your opening hand when you are choosing your leader, and understand the strategy behind the leader you are choosing.

Let me give you an example of one of my favourite openings and strategy as the Eyrie:

If I pick up 2-3 cards same suited to my starting clearing, I'm likely to pick the Charismatic leader(Recruit and Battle viziers; 2 warriors added in 1 Recruit action). I would put down two of those in cards in my first round in recruit and move. This allows me to Recruit 4 warriors and be able to move and battle straight away. I will attempt to build up an extremely large force and not put any bird cards into my decree before I am forced to Turmoil and pick a new leader. Now here my decision will boil down to:

Despot: I am the largest force on the map and I need to get points via destroy and build.

Commander: I have an opponent(likely the cats) who also has a very large presence on the map fighting me for map control.

Builder: I have many high scoring crafting cards in my hand and I have enough defended Roosts to start crafting them.

However, Root is not just a simple game of following through preset strategies, it is in fact a highly political game:

* Going by the strategy I just shown, you probably will look like "the biggest threat" and may have the other factions ally against you. You need to always negotiate and address your position with the other factions.

* Although the starting presence of the Cats may be the most threatening, they are in fact your biggest allies in games with the Vagabond and/or WA who are able to have huge turns to win the game in the end. (I personally find that the Vagabond and/or WA will outpace you in scoring if you run the growing decree Despot strategy without dealing with either of them.)

* The Vagabond is an extremely helpful Ally at the beginning of the game because he could really help you with the cards you need for your decree. However, a Vagabond with a handful of items becomes extremely threatening so ideally the Cats may still be the better ally to have agreements with. E.g You destroy my Roosts here so I can rebuild them and I'll destroy your building here so you can rebuild them.

* Or you could ally with the Vagabond and strive for a coalition win. You will need the other factions to beat up the Vagabond enough that he actually needs you.

As you can see, all games of Root is probably going to play out differently by the starting positions, table talk and actions of the players, this is a major part what makes this game so incredible.

I hope this helped! Happy playing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Fink
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think iam just to stupid to play the Eyrie...the decree is just to punishing, i already stated, all other players can just play along and can react to chaning situations, the Eyrie cant really do it, they have to plan way ahead and are very easy to mess with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xbjoernx wrote:
I think iam just to stupid to play the Eyrie...the decree is just to punishing, i already stated, all other players can just play along and can react to chaning situations, the Eyrie cant really do it, they have to plan way ahead and are very easy to mess with.

Don't forget that you can do "inefficient" moves to meet your decree. Sending a lone warrior off to a losing battle, moving back and forth between clearings, moving half your force from clearing A to clearing B (then doing it again with the rest to make it take 2 moves). As long as you maintain a roost in each of the three clearing types, you won't Turmoil due to recruit (unless you've already recruited ALL your warriors). Only put birds in build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.