Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben P.
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the discussion thread for the no shipping math trade for visitors of the Internationale Spieltage SPIEL'18 (25.10.2018 - 28.10.2018) in Essen.

Please use this thread for all non item-specific discussions as well as for general questions, suggestions, comments and chit-chat.

The trade list including all the rules can be found here:
Essen SPIEL 2018 no shipping math trade

There is a request list where you can add games that you would like to see offered in this trade:
Essen SPIEL 2018 no shipping math trade request list

If you don't want to keep up with this discussion thread, please subscribe to the announcement thread in order not to miss any important information:
Essen SPIEL 2018 no shipping math trade announcement thread

Quick overview for returning traders:

- What changed compared to last year?
Nothing except the dates.

- Will there be a leftovers trade?
Possibly but not run by me. There is enough time however, so if someone is up for it, feel free to go ahead :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben P.
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reserved

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Keja
Netherlands
Leusden
flag msg tools
badge
I won this overtext in the Rummage-o-rama! Thanks Cate!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Benjamin for starting the party again!!

cuazzel wrote:
- Will there be a leftovers trade?
Possibly but not run by me. There is enough time however, so if someone is up for it, feel free to go ahead
No commitment yet, but I think I can handle the leftovers trade like last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji Leroy-Beaulieu
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yepeee !
This Math Trade is one of the best things about Essen !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Željko Kumer
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
Life is like a photo, if you smile it turns out better!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
finally
although i'm still left with a bit of a sour taste from the last year when for the first time it happened to me that someone broke the Math-Trade-Chain ie. I didn't get the game i was supposed to get - i'm still looking forward to it
see you in Essen all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Götz Gunther
Germany
Bünde
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't heard about that... what happened?

Just asking, because that's something that should be avoided to happen this year again...

_Kex_ wrote:
finally
although i'm still left with a bit of a sour taste from the last year when for the first time it happened to me that someone broke the Math-Trade-Chain ie. I didn't get the game i was supposed to get - i'm still looking forward to it
see you in Essen all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Željko Kumer
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
Life is like a photo, if you smile it turns out better!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
waulmurf wrote:
Haven't heard about that... what happened?

Just asking, because that's something that should be avoided to happen this year again...
not much to tell. I got my trades and managed to do them all but in one case i was left short
i was supposed to give 30€ to someone, so I did, and for that I was supposed to get "X-COM the boardgame" from the user "Steye"
however he was a no-show. someone else who was supposed to do a trade with him asked me if I managed to find him so I guess wasn't the only one.

after the show i tried to send geekmails, SMS messages etc. at first i got some info back saying he had some problems and that he was admitted to a hospital or something like that.
then someone came out using his BGG account saying that he will finish Steye's trades and I gave him my address but the package never arrived and it all went silent. his last login is on 24/11/2017. i've tried asking if anyone knows what happened to him and there was this one guy (humske) who tried asking but couldn't find any info.
after that I was ready to accept that it's all over so i gave up

i don't think you can do anything specific to prevent this kind of things. i'm convinced it wasn't a deliberate scam but that something really happened to him. and that's always a possibility. real life can sometimes create problems with your future plans

i don't have any info what happened to him. hopefully he's ok. but in the immortal words of Freddie Mercury - "Trades must go on"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piet Lavens
Belgium
Deerlijk
West-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question: why do you allow cash value trades if sellers can post in a Spiel no-shipping auction list?

Note: I didn't see an auction list this year, but I suppose it comes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karthik Setty
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pietlavens wrote:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/243137/essen-2018-no-...

Only has 136 pages
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piet Lavens
Belgium
Deerlijk
West-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karthiksetty wrote:
pietlavens wrote:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/243137/essen-2018-no-...

Only has 136 pages
Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete & SO
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pietlavens wrote:
Question: why do you allow cash value trades if sellers can post in a Spiel no-shipping auction list?
If I remember correctly, I have read on BGG that money offers work like some kind of "wild card" or "joker" within the trade chains and, therefore, allow for more trades in total.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bluepirate77 wrote:
pietlavens wrote:
If I remember correctly, I have read on BGG that money offers work like some kind of "wild card" or "joker" within the trade chains and, therefore, allow for more trades in total.
They act just like any other item, but because they are more "easily" wanted (many people will want €25; fewer people will want a copy of Monopoly valued at €25 ) they feature in many more wantlists and are more likely to trade.

There's nothing "special" about them: they are just wanted by more people, and so they tend to form* or extend more trade loops than any specific game of similar value.

* however the important criterion is what these items themselves want - an offer of €150 is likely to want only one thing, or maybe none, and so no matter how many people want the €150 it won't make a difference. An offer of €25 however might itself want ten or a dozen items, and so it is very likely to trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben P.
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pietlavens wrote:
Simply because that's how I want it to be :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Götz Gunther
Germany
Bünde
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe next year we could think about an additional money trading list, in which games are allowed…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bloobik Cyperius
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is geekgold alowed as entry ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yorick Heijink
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bloobik wrote:
You think people will actually place that much value in GeekGold?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yorickh wrote:
Bloobik wrote:
You think people will actually place that much value in GeekGold?
I think it's about 110 GG = 1 USD and also given that there are several cheap games, I don't think it's that weird that people offer 1000-5000 GG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben P.
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I copied this from item comments to share the knowledge over here

BlackSheeper wrote:
cuazzel wrote:
BlackSheeper wrote:
cuazzel wrote:
benjilb wrote:
How do you get the images to be next to each-other instead of beeing below each-other ?
Just add inline to the image links like this (without the space before the equal sign):

[imageid =2235343 inline] [imageid =2235342 inline]
Then, if you know how, you can write the copy and paste version:
[imageid=2235343inline][imageid=2235342inline]
Nice trick, didn't know that
I started to show it around since when I've learned it. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
Country side area north of Rome
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a feder-allergic and I blame the Klingon for not having smashed the Federation in time to save us from Star Trek serials.
mbmbmbmbmb
cuazzel wrote:
I copied this from item comments to share the knowledge over here

BlackSheeper wrote:
cuazzel wrote:
BlackSheeper wrote:
cuazzel wrote:
benjilb wrote:
How do you get the images to be next to each-other instead of beeing below each-other ?
Just add inline to the image links like this (without the space before the equal sign):

[imageid =2235343 inline] [imageid =2235342 inline]
Then, if you know how, you can write the copy and paste version:
[imageid=2235343inline][imageid=2235342inline]
Nice trick, didn't know that
I started to show it around since when I've learned it. cool
Thanks for quoting me. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van Tiel
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm.. added a bunch of games using the 'Add item' in the Geeklist itself. Remembered after adding that everything should resolve through OLWLG so checked there and found the 'add items to geeklist section'.

After a day wait (probably lists only syncs at night) my games still don't appear in the Geeklist stats, so I'm left wondering:

a) Did I do something wrong adding my games this time and should I always use OLWLG to add them?
b) Or am I just impatient and has the list simply not been resynced to OLWLG since last night?

Hopefully its B, but should it be A I'd like to know so I can do it 'proper'. Wouldn't want to miss out on this yearly Essen highlight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben P.
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sucrates wrote:
Hmm.. added a bunch of games using the 'Add item' in the Geeklist itself. Remembered after adding that everything should resolve through OLWLG so checked there and found the 'add items to geeklist section'.

After a day wait (probably lists only syncs at night) my games still don't appear in the Geeklist stats, so I'm left wondering:

a) Did I do something wrong adding my games this time and should I always use OLWLG to add them?
b) Or am I just impatient and has the list simply not been resynced to OLWLG since last night?

Hopefully its B, but should it be A I'd like to know so I can do it 'proper'. Wouldn't want to miss out on this yearly Essen highlight. :)
It's B - OLWLG only re-syncs when I press a button which usually happens once per day random time. But with the current Intermittent Downtime This Week it sometimes doesn't go through but ends with a timeout. I'll try again right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
Country side area north of Rome
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a feder-allergic and I blame the Klingon for not having smashed the Federation in time to save us from Star Trek serials.
mbmbmbmbmb
sucrates wrote:

After a day wait (probably lists only syncs at night) my games still don't appear in the Geeklist stats, [...]
On the OLWLG, the mouse over the math trade line tells you the time of the last resync, if it has been made before your additions you are sure it was B without asking. Have a look at the image, it is a snap shoot of such mouse over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christiaan Meijer
Netherlands
Amstelveen
Other (Non U.S.)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a "want in trade" list?