Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Abner
United States
Johnstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was able to place an order last night for C&C on the Ho9 website. My Paypal acct shows a payment as well as a PP tracking # so I can only assume that the game is now back in stock. A few weeks ago it said they had none left so let's hope it's ready for more customers. Just an FYI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Moros
South Korea
Gwangju
Gwangju
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the tip,

I have sent them an email asking if is back in stock, just in case..

regards
fer
sk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Abner
United States
Johnstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my copy today! Get 'em while they're hot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah man! Mine just arrived today! I opened it up and started looking through all the stuff. i am very impressed and look foward to getting into this intriguiging game!
Lucky us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Moros
South Korea
Gwangju
Gwangju
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
congrats! i wrote to them , but they told me they run out

I have a question: when you ordered it was this line on ?
(Temporarily out of stock. Awaiting shipment from the publisher.)

Because the link to paypal payment still works, so i am thinking to risk it and click on... what you think?

fer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
Don't risk it man! The line was not on when I ordered mine, so I'm pretty sure they're not lying to you. That said, it's about TIME they got some back in stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Abner
United States
Johnstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fmoros wrote:
congrats! i wrote to them , but they told me they run out

I have a question: when you ordered it was this line on ?
(Temporarily out of stock. Awaiting shipment from the publisher.)

Because the link to paypal payment still works, so i am thinking to risk it and click on... what you think?

fer

I say no. I don't recall seeing that when I placed my order, either. I think they get like 5 copies in stock at a time or something because they seem to go out of stock very fast. I just got lucky. I'd write them back and ask them if you can pre-order it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Abner
United States
Johnstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalidor wrote:
Yeah man! Mine just arrived today! I opened it up and started looking through all the stuff. i am very impressed and look foward to getting into this intriguiging game!
Lucky us!

Very lucky indeed. Intriguing is a good word for it, too. I skimmed over the rules and this looks right up my group's alley whereas Marvel Heroes is a bit too abstract for a few of my players. This one looks like pure unadultered Superhero combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Estes
United States
La Vergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to pick up yet another copy for a friend but was too slow on the draw. According to Eunice at House of Nine, their latest shipment (a large one, she said) was "gone within four days."

I'm going to be hitting a couple of game and comic shops this weekend, though, so wish me luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I suppose that is good news. A large shipment gone within 4 days. I would hope it would induce them to do a larger run next time. It is a great game and it will sell. We have a blast with it.

But, if a "large" shipment recently sold out in 4 days, I would expect that we should see a bump up in the number of ratings (at 19 presently). Just 11 more before CnC makes the listings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Estes
United States
La Vergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rating games, apparently, isn't something that everyone thinks important. Almost half the BoardGameGeeks who claim ownership of Capes & Cowls haven't seen fit to rate it. I would assume, too, as someone else already said, that a great many Geeks probably don't even bother listing the games they own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right.

In fact, truth be told, the session reports and game reviews (and the responses to them made by others) are much more helpful than the ratings themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far the game is doing incredibly well in the ratings. So far, everyone who has played the standard 2-player game with the correct rules has given it at least a 7. The one person who gave it a 4 says they played it incorrectly, and the person who gave it a 5 only played a 4-player version. (We played it correctly with 4 players, but as much as I like this game I think it loses a lot with more than 2 players.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla Harper
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the most fun sessions I've had were three and four players. Granted, it's a lot harder to dominate in a game with more than two players, because you can't focus all of your attention on trouncing just one opponent, but I think that can sometimes be a plus, particularly when one player is a lot more skillful than the others. Extra players, in other words, can help keep the dominant player in check. At least, that's been my experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That might be part of what I didn't like about it. The game was no longer about playing well - it was just about staying out of people's way and hoping they beat each other up. There was no real incentive to attack if you left yourself even a little more vulnerable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla Harper
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your group must be a lot more tentative than mine. We're a real bloodthirsty lot.

I think that games with three and four players are still very much about playing well. They just require you to adapt your approach and do a lot more accounting for the unexpected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It wasn't that there wasn't any attacking - it's just that the winner was the one who effectively stayed out of the fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla Harper
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you tried that approach in my group, you'd be trounced in four or five rounds.devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We really liked four player team play. We thought it every bit as good as two player, with some added nuance. Cooperation between allied teams is a different ballgame because your ally's heroes do not move when your heroes do (We alternated turns - Red team 1 - Blue team 1 - Red Team 2 - Blue Team 2). There is (or can be) still a great degree of cooperation and coordination between allies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jwquinn wrote:
Right.

In fact, truth be told, the session reports and game reviews (and the responses to them made by others) are much more helpful than the ratings themselves.

Absolutely. The ratings are so arbitrary as to be utterly useless. I rate games I own for the sake of my own amusement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
jwquinn wrote:
Right.

Absolutely. The ratings are so arbitrary as to be utterly useless. I rate games I own for the sake of my own amusement.

I don't think they're at all useless. It's hard for a bad game to be in the top 100 and it's hard for a good game to be ranked below 3500. Without the ratings, it would be harder to decide which reviews are even worth reading. With two conflicting reviews, one positive and one negative, without the ratings you would not know which one is the outlier, or if the opinion on the game is pretty evenly split.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow wrote:
I don't think they're at all useless. It's hard for a bad game to be in the top 100 and it's hard for a good game to be ranked below 3500. Without the ratings, it would be harder to decide which reviews are even worth reading. With two conflicting reviews, one positive and one negative, without the ratings you would not know which one is the outlier, or if the opinion on the game is pretty evenly split.

When I read reviews, I have no idea what the reviewer rated a game, other than they liked or disliked it. It's not important. What's important is WHY. I don't like El Grande, although it's quite popular with many. Once I read that a game is compared as very similar to El Grande... I'm gone. I don't need to know what their rating was. On another site, I posted a favorable review of an auction game. Someone else posted a negative review. When you read his comments, you discover that he simply doesn't like auction games, so who cares what his rating was? I don't even see why he bothered speaking up. If someone shared his point of view ("I don't like auction games"), then all they needed to do was discover that it was an auction game from reading my review. No numerical rating in the world would sway such an opinion. I have no interest in boardgames that simulate professional sports. Does it do any good to go around bad-mouthing such games one by one? Of course not, but people are doing it here. And don't get me started on the hyped ratings here. It's amazing how many games here have been given a 10 rating by at least one person.

If you're determined to get some value out of the ratings, I'd consider picking some games you liked and disliked and trying to find some other people with similar opinions. Then you might be able to put some value in what THEY rated other games... at least as it applies to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clarence Chambers
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
I find ratings useful, but I do try to keep them in perspective and consider the source.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Monster
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fmoros wrote:
...the link to paypal payment still works, so i am thinking to risk it and click on... what you think?

You shouldn't pre-order the game via the House of Nine website as they are not the publisher. Here is a copy of an email sent to me when I inquired:

Quote:
Dear John:

Evidently, someone on BGG has mistakenly listed the House of Nine as the publisher of Cape & Cowls. This error has led to our receiving an enormous amount of e-mail intended for the publisher (Wyrd House).

The House of Nine is primarily a fan-maintained (though officially sanctioned) site dedicated to the work of Robin Spriggs. As such, it is only occasionally provided with sales items from Mr. Spriggs's various publishers. The publisher of Capes & Cowls has indeed provided us with copies of the game in the past and promises to do so in the future; unfortunately, however, we have no way of knowing exactly when that might be. All these factors considered, we do not accept preorders for the title
in question. If you're unable to track down a copy of the title elsewhere before our stock has been replenished by the publisher, please try us again.

Many thanks for your interest.

All best,
Eunice Kemp
House of Nine

Of course now the question is how to get in touch with the publisher - Jazz Lieberman of Wyrd House????? I sent an email to Mr. Kemp. I will post more if he replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoops - that may have been me. I may have made two faulty assumptions. I guess House of Nine has the endorsement of Robin Spriggs - I took that to mean it was his official site. And based on the fact that Wyrd House has published exactly one game, I assumed that meant he was publishing it himself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.