9 Posts

Fallout» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules, rules, rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Kreker
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi. During our first game a few Questions were left unanswered.

1. Can one sell the starting gear? For example the power armor for 5 caps?

2. Can the BoS outcast character unwear his power armor at any time to travel faster? And equip it before combat again?

3. Do enemies respawn somehow during game on already explored terrain?

4. Can one take 2 actions to double rest and so to regenerate 6 HP?

5. Do activated enemies travel through unexplored terrain? And my they travel through blocked spaces (red borders)?

6. What happens if the encounter deck is depleted? Reshuffle the basic cards and form a new deck? Or is just encountering not possible then until new cards from the library come into play?

7. Do agenda cards effects stack? If have two cards of the same kind? Made me winning the game yesterday quite fast.

That's it so far. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Cameron
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ck1dot1 wrote:
Hi. During our first game a few Questions were left unanswered.

1. Can one sell the starting gear? For example the power armor for 5 caps?

2. Can the BoS outcast character unwear his power armor at any time to travel faster? And equip it before combat again?

3. Do enemies respawn somehow during game on already explored terrain?

4. Can one take 2 actions to double rest and so to regenerate 6 HP?

5. Do activated enemies travel through unexplored terrain? And my they travel through blocked spaces (red borders)?

6. What happens if the encounter deck is depleted? Reshuffle the basic cards and form a new deck? Or is just encountering not possible then until new cards from the library come into play?

7. Do agenda cards effects stack? If have two cards of the same kind? Made me winning the game yesterday quite fast.

That's it so far. Thanks!

1. Yes, you can sell your starting gear (don't forget selling at shops usually nets you 1 less cap).

2. Yes, you can unequip the power armour to move, but you're out of luck if you encounter an agressive opponent or if you already have 3 items in your inventory. I honestly didn't realise what that entailed until you mentioned it.

3. Yes, for normal (non-faction) enemies that already are on the map, once they are killed, a new one spawns (face-down) on the nearest place on the map that has the matching icon (i.e. where one of the same type spawned when the map tile was first turned over).

4. Yes, you can camp twice as both actions of your turn. One of my game mates loves to do this.

5. Yes, enemies travel through unexplored terrain (red borders actually indicate difficult terrain, not blocked terrain - and the enemies move normally through them). Unexplored terrain counts as a single space, so enemies end up moving faster on it. If you explore terrain that has an enemy on it, the player exploring the terrain chooses which space in the terrain the enemy gets moved to.

6. I have a feeling you're using those decks wrong. Unless a card specifically says "trash", it doesn't go into the discard pile. There are special piles for used cards that aren't trashed (e.g. a shop card is used). Once the regular cards are depleated, then you shuffle that pile to form the new deck. Of course item decks, such as the shop items, all work the way you would expect.

7. You can only have one agenda card active at any one time. You can only activate or deactivate one at the very beginning of your turn. The other agenda cards just count as a single point. Mostly this means you're rooting for the stars or shields (and thus you will be going after those particular quests eventually), however there are some that are different.

I remember it took us ages to learn the game by simply the rules, and I think we had at least some of the rules wrong for our first 4 games. I've found YouTube is your friend in learning how to play such games, but of course this forum is really good for specific questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kreker
Germany
flag msg tools
Let me thank you first for your taken time and the detailed reply. Helped a lot so far but I'm still confused about some points.

About 6) at the beginning of the game there are two encounter decks. One for citys/camps/bunkers and one for ruins. Those cards in these decks have this special star icon in the top left corner instead of a number. Let's say each of the four players is going to do a lot of searching in ruins and cards are drawn from this encounter deck. Where are these cards going to then if not to some sort of discard pile? I know one can only search once per round at one location, but in yesterday's game we were close to deplete one of the encounter decks. Maybe i missed something in the rules. Can one search the same location once each round?

About 7) as far as I got the rules one can only have 4 agenda cards at the same time. So, if I have one card activated saying 1 reputation + 2 because I fulfilled the perquisites, then I have 3 other cards in hand, makes a total of 6 reputation points. But i need 8 to win in a four player game. Seems like I can't get 8 reputation with only 4 cards if only one can be activated? Confusing... Wondering how to get 11 points for winning the game if I play in single player mode regarding what the rules say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the encounter decks you either discard the card after resolved and then reshuffle the discards once depleted, or you shuffle the card back into it. I don't remember which. But I do know that new cards can be added to those decks by completing certain quests and those get shuffled in.

For agenda cards there are non faction related agenda cards that can earn 3 or more points on them. You can declare loyalty to a faction by revealing one of your faction related cards, but that doesn't have any bearing on the points earned on your other agenda cards. I think the person who responded might be mixing up original rules with various scoring variants that have appeared on here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamel Rha
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
6. In fact, there is no discard piles for encounters (ruins and settlements). A card goes back at the bottom of the pile unless it is indicated trash (in that last case, you put the card back in the box). Hope this clarifies things.

7. About the agenda cards: activating a card is only useful to declare allegiance, which makes you avoid fights with Star of Shield ennemies. As for counting points, all cards count, even duplicate. All agenda cards count for 1 point each (the big thumb on the card) + any points you got from fulfilling any conditions on a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamel is right. I just reread the Resolving Encounter section on pg. 9 of the Learn to Play booklet. It says
Quote:
After completing an ecounter, place that card on the bottom of its deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Cameron
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sorry for the misleading answers I wrote before. I think we had our house rules in there and forgot the original ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian OpaƂacz
Poland
flag msg tools
2. You can't unwear and equip armor at any time. "You can change out what cards you have equipped when you acquire a new card, at the start of your turn, or when you perform a camp action." - "Learn to play" page 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K H
United States
California
flag msg tools
darkranex wrote:
Jamel is right. I just reread the Resolving Encounter section on pg. 9 of the Learn to Play booklet. It says
Quote:
After completing an ecounter, place that card on the bottom of its deck.

Isn't it shuffled into the amount of players pull that many cards from the the deck? So in a two player game, pull two cards and the card just used, and shuffle those three cards and place them back on top of the deck?

I don't know where I read this but it's explained in the Rules reference Pg.5. You are correct.

Found my confusion. Adding a card after a quest completed will have the encounter card shuffled in with the amount of players on top of that specific deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls