Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

more dude» Forums » General

Subject: Some notes about Dude and More Dude from someone who helped develop the game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Voge III
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen some chatter on the internet about Dude and More Dude and I thought I would cover some of the decisions we made, visual design, and try to address some of the most popular questions about the games, and let you in on some of the hidden jokes and features of the game.

First, it is not a big Lebowski game, our cover “dude” looks a lot like Jeff Bridges after our graphic designer Ben was noodling around with cover ideas and came onto it. We tried some things after, but just loved the idea of this guy making the game with his own hands.

Next, the whole visual design is created to feel like one dude (the kind of dude that makes a bong the size of a room) REALLY wanted to make a card game. He grabbed everything he could for months and just sat with blank cards and a sharpie and banged this thing out for a day or two. This dude is on a quest to show the world how great the word dude is: “its so versatile, it means so many things to so many people”.

If you look at the word “dude” in dude, all the writing is different, but from the same hand. Like one person sat obesessed, trying to bring this game into the world.

Also, if you look on the box, we hid some jokes on there. All the stuff we have to put on the box (like the barcode, the 0-3 sad onions mark, the “don’t worry Europeans this game won’t kill you” mark are all in an area marked “corporate nonsense” since we feel like our dude would not be cool with all our that stuff, but would understand it HAS to be there, for him to get his message out to the masses.

He has also jotted down some notes; like “go to target, get pants and eggs” and drew a pizza guy and the word “pizza” just hoping one would materialize, that if his wish for pizza came with doodles, it would come true.

The playing card backs are the same backs used in Most Wanted, this a very hidden Easter egg, but the playing cards used in Most Wanted are in the same universe as our dude. This was a joke almost just for me, I pushed hard for this, but I feel like the 11 people who figured it out, were probably REALLY amused.

Next, the movie the game is based on is “Dude, Where’s My Car”, the first version of the game was called “Dude, Where’s My Card”, its why you say “dude” and “sweet”...no “and then”.

Yes, there is a promo pack called “One More Dude” and it add EXACTLY that, it adds one more player to dude, and more dude. The card back looks like this cover, part brown bag, part color swirl. You can get it on our website, or at shows from us.

(No image for this, image coming soon....probably)

You can combine Dude and More Dude, the same way you can combine Happy Salmon and Blue Happy Salmon, make the game you want, pick the punctuation you want, and add the ghost and the robot, the colors all work together.

(Go look at the image at the top)

Dude and More Dude are TWO DIFFERENT GAMES (neither is JUST an expansion), and in both you say dude. One uses punctuation to make us look at how we use language, the other lets us say dude like a robot. I personally thing dude is the harder of the two games, but I have heard folks say they have problems with the characters, so its up to you. The easiest way to deal with this is to just buy both (I had to).

The rule “do whatever your morals allow, man” REALLY is there for a reason, and not just a joke. After tons of playtests, especially of More Dude, we realized that different groups seemed to want different amounts of line crossing as far as body posture goes. Some groups think any change of body is bad, others think stiffening up your posture for the robot is fine, others think holding your hand out like you are holding a pizza is fine for the pizza guy. We felt like it’s really not OUR place to tell YOUR game group how to handle this, so do what’s fun, and what you can agree to. Also you can ONLY say the word “dude”, we DO feel THAT is important.

I hope you enjoyed this every complicated explanation of a very simple couple of games. I have cross posted this on both Dude and More Dude, so if you have read it in one place, there are not different things revealed in the other place.

Thanks for reading,

Bruce
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Voge III
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cliffy73 wrote:
Dude!

Sweet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
NorthStarGamesBruce wrote:
Cliffy73 wrote:
Dude!

Sweet

Chill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide