GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,419 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Mare Nostrum: Mythology Expansion» Forums » Rules

Subject: After Battle Scenarios? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moisés Solé
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. I know the consensus here seems to be that when you win a battle you can only do one of sacking, occupying and converting. Philip Thomas seems to be the biggest defender of this position.

However, and I'm not saying that's wrong, it could be that my non-nativeness to English language is tricking me, or it could be yet another slight mistranslation, the rules say: "The invader must choose to allocate the remaining invading legions in one of the following three ways:"

To me, "allocate" indicates that different legions can choose different options, so you could, in fact, occupy and convert and start getting the resources one turn earlier, if you win with at least two legions/creatures surviving.

Am I understanding it wrong? As I said, my native language is not English, so maybe I'm really understanding it wrong. Or then again, it could be clearer in French (which I don't speak). So which is the right interpretation?

Thanks again for your time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DK Kemler
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As written in English, all legions must perform one of the three choices. For your position, the text would need to say: "The invader must choose to allocate each of the remaining invading legions in one of the following three ways:". Without that key piece of text, your choosing fo the group, not each individual legion. However, as the game is originally French, I could see it as an easy mis-translation. You would need a native French speaker to go over the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Welc
Poland
Wrocław (Vratislavia)
Lower Silesia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No doubt about it. All of remaining invading units perform one and the same action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
referee wrote:
Hi. I know the consensus here seems to be that when you win a battle you can only do one of sacking, occupying and converting. Philip Thomas seems to be the biggest defender of this position.

Not only Philip, but also me, and a host of others including the designer himself . Sacking you can do only once, you can occupy to your heart's content, and you can convert only once. If you chose sacking or converting, the rest of your legions may not do anything else in that province. If you were into occupation, and were still occupying the next round unchallenged, you are allowed to 'switch' from occupation to for example sacking, but you'd have to give up every occupied position in that province.

Unfortunately Eurogames dosn't produce good translations, but the above is most definitely the 'right' way of doing things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clark
United States
Holyoke
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. If a player invades a "loaded" province and is successful, being able to do more than one post-battle action would cripple the loser. The game would be far less fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moisés Solé
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not saying that you should be able to do more than one thing, I just expressed my feelings about the English rules based on my knowledge of English. Degamer explained it very well, thanks. Thanks to the rest, too.

Cymric: I couldn't mention everyone that agreed with the "do only one of these things" position. I just mentioned Philip as an example. Note that I didn't say he was the only defender of that.

OK, it's now clear. Thanks everyone.

PS: Just out of curiosity, is someone able to show what the French rules say?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Welc
Poland
Wrocław (Vratislavia)
Lower Silesia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
referee wrote:
PS: Just out of curiosity, is someone able to show what the French rules say?

I've inserted link to French rule book into links section (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/17099#links).

It says:
Quote:
2. Il reste des unités appartenant à un seul envahisseur : le joueur actif.
Il a trois options :

A. ...
B. ...
C. ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis mishler
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Although the rules say one thing...

when my friends and I play we always play that you can do one action per soldier (one pillage max) but you can do one pillage, two occupies, and one conversion (for example).

The reason for this is that otherwise pillage is utterly useless and pieces never come off the board.

-Zen Blade

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Welc
Poland
Wrocław (Vratislavia)
Lower Silesia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No comments, you live in a free country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Shopin
Russia
flag msg tools
Could you explain - what should I do to sack the same province one more time after the first sacking? Reenter my legions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Welc
Poland
Wrocław (Vratislavia)
Lower Silesia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dvs79 wrote:
Could you explain - what should I do to sack the same province one more time after the first sacking? Reenter my legions?

I think it could be like this:
1) invade the province, win the battle and sack the province,
2) move another legion into the province that has just been sacked, win the battle automatically and sack the province again,
3) repeat step 2) until there are spare legions or buildings to be sacked.

However IMHO if one performs steps 2) & 3) the additional legions perform exactly the same action as the ones that survived the battle - sacking one and the same building (unless invaders have Achilles on their side).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

My interpretation stands.

On sacking: you sack in order to rebuild elsewhere. Which you means you have to be Political Leader next turn, otherwise the thing will be gone, which is all part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.