GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,141 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Middle-earth» Forums » General

Subject: Please tell me I bought the right thing to start rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
john m
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought two unopened starter decks MeTW. and 10 Middle-Earth The Wizards Unlimited CCG Booster Packs. Does it matter if the starter decks are limited instead of unlimited?

Is this right to start for two players?

I also bought some used starter deck with 76 cards and 15 location cards, whatever that means.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Challenge decks are a better starting place, but you did OK. What's really important are getting all of the "fixed sets" which were groups of cards, (grouped with a Wizard), which make a playable cohesive unit. So you should be able to make a couple of decks with those. But if you tire of what you have, and want to make new decks, you will find that you don't have the "supporting cards" that will work with the random cards you have.

Also, learning how to make a deck AND play the game is a bit difficult. The Challenge decks are complete, so you can just start playing them, and get a feel for how the game actually plays, and then you can start thinking about how you would like to build a deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john m
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
Challenge decks are a better starting place, but you did OK. What's really important are getting all of the "fixed sets" which were groups of cards, (grouped with a Wizard), which make a playable cohesive unit. So you should be able to make a couple of decks with those. But if you tire of what you have, and want to make new decks, you will find that you don't have the "supporting cards" that will work with the random cards you have.

Also, learning how to make a deck AND play the game is a bit difficult. The Challenge decks are complete, so you can just start playing them, and get a feel for how the game actually plays, and then you can start thinking about how you would like to build a deck.

Do they just say "Challenge Decks" or are there variations of them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coen Duckman
Netherlands
Groenlo
GLD
flag msg tools
mbmb
johnnyLikesGames wrote:

Do they just say "Challenge Decks" or are there variations of them?

There are 10 challenge decks, all fixed sets. They are sold (all 10 decks) for 30-50$ on ebay mostly, pretty cheap for 1100 cards. The decks contain cards from all sets from Middle-Earth, except The Balrog.

Otherwise, The Wizards (basic set) and the boostersets The Dragons and Dark Minions are the best way to start your collection IMHO, unless you want to play the bad guys, in which case you'll need the later sets.
The Challenge Decks give you both options, for little money.

Limited has a black border, unlimited a blue one and has some errata'd rules, but otherwise they are the same. Limited cards are a little more expensive (because of the limited print run). Ltd fits in a little better with the other sets colorwise, because the other sets are all black-bordered. The CD are grey-bordered by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john m
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the Saruman and Gandalf Challenge decks. Can I integrate those with the wizard starter decks? I don't have to buy all the challenge decks do I?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, did you already have Sauraman and Gandalf in your starters/boosters? Then that was the wrong buy. If not, then you should be good. No, you don't need them all. Certainly the Ringwraith decks are very different, and I'm not sure when, if ever, I will get around to those. Play those against each other for a bit, to get the game mechanics down. Then start looking at the cards you have, specifically the resources and factions you have in your other cards. Look at the sites you have to see what things you might be able to acquire at said sites, Then start looking at the other stuff you have to see which of those would compliment your deck's goals.

Then build an appropriate hazard portion. Then play that deck against one of your Challenge decks. See how it plays. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I bought all 10 Challenge decks, so I have five Wizard decks that are instantly playable. Once I've gotten a better feel for the game, I will use all of my other cards to make another, much as I have described above. The one's I made prior to the challenge decks buys are not too good I fear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.