Zombies!!!» Forums » Variants

Subject: Quicker game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A Sheik
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
This game is fun, but goes on for far too long, and can be incredibly frustrating if you only need one zombie to win but then die and lose half of them.

An easy fix to shorten the game length is to only lose a third of your zombies (rounded up) if you die.

It should be noted that our group only considers this game to be a "filler", so the above variant works well for us. We also haven't tried the 2d6 rule for movement yet.

/\dam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Sheik
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I forgot, we also play that we only need 20 zombies to win. I think the original rules say 25.

Note that this makes winning via the helipad less likely.

/\dam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I mix the helipad into the last 1/3 of the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option is to remove the random movement and just make your move Health +2.

Speeds up play and is less annoying when you keep rolling 1 or 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick(er) play rules are very very good. Thumbs up! I really like the bidding system for placing the helipad. It feels weird at first but is a very good game mechanic. The helipad placement has always been an issue for me, as it's a huge advantage placing it. With the bidding system, it's a great motivation to go out there and whoop zombie arses as soon as possible.

Only problem with Quick(er) rules is that they sometimes contradict eachother… The standard move rule is still there. But Health +2 is so much better. I mean, it doesn't improve the game that moving is so arbitrary.

If you want to keep the move rule, there is another option: Roll 2 dice, choose one. That still makes it possible for a 2-move or even a 1, but it's much less common. We usually play with that rule or the health +2 rule. The double dice rule do less to change the original rules, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, but when I downloaded the Quick(er) Play Rules, I found both moving rules after each other.:

Quick(er) Play Rules wrote:

1. Draw a map tile & place it.
2. Combat a zombie on your current space if there is one there.
3. Draw back up to 3 event cards if you have less than 3.
4. Roll a die for movement.
5. Move. The number of spaces that a player may move is determined by how much life that player has plus two.
It says both roll a die for movement and then afterwards that movement is health +2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls