GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,899 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
252 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: If you Could Change One Thing About The Hobby: What Would It Be? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: oh_boy [+] [View All]
Andrew Birkett
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello BGG,

I normally like to look at the positives. The board game community is truly outstanding. I am incredibly proud to be a part of it. Though, I am curious.

If you could change one thing about the hobby, what would it be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Shannon
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
Spread Joy
mb
I would make designing/publishing (and the many pieces that go into that) a more sustainable career for more people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
abirkett2 wrote:
Hello BGG,

I normally like to look at the positives. The board game community is truly outstanding. I am incredibly proud to be a part of it. Though, I am curious.

If you could change one thing about the hobby, what would it be?

Have Kickstarter game creators understand the value of a game developer (a role that is part of the traditional publishing process that is often left out in Kickstarters) and hire one as part of all their Kicksterter campaigns ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have more board game clubs / stores / meetups, etc., and more people into playing, so it would be easier to find players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lesco
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish it was less expensive but that is largely my fault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know...

...I'm really quite happy with it the way it is.

Pete (might ask for digital interactive rulebooks that are updated in realtime, but that's really not necessary)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Wolgast
Sweden
Lund
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll generalise all the different small things I would change as: Be more inclusive.

I'd like to see more diverse designers, developers and artists of games and personalities such as reviewers and bloggers.

I'd like gamers to be more mindful about how intimidating the hobby can be for someone new.

I'd like all rulebooks to be as good as e.g. the CGE rulebooks.

And more selfishly, I'd like cheaper shipping for specialty stuff (such as promos, metal coins, inserts, board game tables and tokens) to Europe, or alternatively these being more available in Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Harris
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make game designers/publishers understand that THEME IS IMPORTANT!

That being said, I understand there is certainly a market for dry euros. It's just not for me. There a ton of games that have a rabid fan base, but I just cant get based the lack of theme. Why am I moving this cube here again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
That I would get all my games for $5. I’d say free, but I’m feeling generous today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric P
United States
Collinsville
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More games that support player counts above 4.
6 seems like a good number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deehizzle wrote:

Make game designers understand that THEME IS IRRELEVANT! I play games for mechanics, not theme, so concentrate on those...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Fewer people who think rape jokes and homosexual slurs are appropriate in-game commentary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would change the retail pricing for boardgames to be more on par with retail for the bulk of my other regular purchases.

That is to say if i buy a videogame in a retail brick and mortar store vs downloading or buying it online the price is nearly always very much the same and inline, same goes for my jeans, or protein powder or light bulbs. Yea, in some instances amazon may be cheaper on some products but it's always been odd to me that the price difference between for boardgames retail price vs online pricing.

A quick example is terra mystica, retail price on $79.99, coolstuff price, $60.86, nearly $20 difference.

While I don't want games to be more expensive, I think for the hobby to grow and thrive there needs to be alternative way to buy and shop for games other than online.

We all tend to be board game evangelizers, and I love seeing the positive reaction when i introduce non-gamers to a boardgames and when the game is over they are like, that was great, that was so much fun and then where do you 'even' get these games? Of course i tell them online, and they are like ok, they go on amazon buy the one game and that's typically the end of the story. It would be great if I could tell them to go down to the local Gamesmart and ask for Tammy, she'll totally hook you up.

So, in closing, the pricing of boardgames would be what i would change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell McKinney
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
I wish it was Halloween
badge
The grumpiest Christmas grump
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
deehizzle wrote:

Make game designers understand that THEME IS IRRELEVANT! I play games for mechanics, not theme, so concentrate on those...

Make people in the hobby realize that theme is something that can vary in importance from game to game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea....honestly, I'm okay with how it's going so far so long as I'm not forced to purchase anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Harris
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
deehizzle wrote:

Too funny!

My issue with theme is that for a game to click in my head I need to be able to rationalize WHY I'm doing something. I really struggle with Feld games in particular because I dont understand what moving a cube or selecting a tile is really signifying. What does it represent? Any explanation that helps me rationalize what's happening helps me understand a game.

That being said, I appreciate the difference of opinion. I dont understand your viewpoint, but I dont need to in order for me to respect it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
fullbloodlion wrote:
Kelanen wrote:
deehizzle wrote:

Make people in the hobby realize that theme is something that can vary in importance from game to game.

And from person to person whistle
And some people actually like games all along the spectrum - I enjoy a good abstract, a good lightly-themed Euro, and a good Ameritrash full of thematic chrome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter G
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmb
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
Have more board game clubs / stores / meetups, etc., and more people into playing, so it would be easier to find players.

In the same vein...

That the hobby would more generally accepted as a plausible and even ideal pastime for EVERYONE...not just reserved for a certain group.

I think that if people knew how much it has evolved and how many more games (and types of games/experiences) are available now, this may change.

I also think it is changing gradually...slowly but surely...I just wish it wasn't so hard to get people to the table because of cultural misconceptions about gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

That boardgamers could achieve the same fame, repect and reward as enjoyed by elite athletes in other sports.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had a magic wand and could make any one change, I'd make it so that publishers paid more attention to user interface design... specifically I'm referring to iconography (both consistency and clarity), rulebooks (clarity, removing ambiguity, formatting for readability and reference), text size, keeping art from overpowering functionality, etc.

All too often good games stumble when poor design choices make the experience harder for players to learn and understand. Boardgamers tend to be smart and can overcome this obstacle, but it puts more onus on us to overcome obstacles that shouldn't be there in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoare
United Kingdom
Chippenham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Have a universally accepted technical terminology in German.

[We use latin in science, Italian in music, French in cooking.]

Then we can distinguish lay terms from precise usage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Harris
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fullbloodlion wrote:
Kelanen wrote:
deehizzle wrote:

If I had a second board game wish, it would be that others could not un-wish my initial board game wish

Seriously though, I get that everyone likes different things about board gaming. Lucky for us there are enough good things about board games to keep us all entertained.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The idea that there is a singular identifiable hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just have everyone be nice and respectful to each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert Peinlich
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reducing the set-up-time would be nice, as i don't have the space to leave the games on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.