badge
mbmbmbmbmb

CRYSTALLO
By Liberty Kifer

1 Player
20-30 min
Ages 8+

COMPONENTS:

54 Cards (45 Cavern Cards, 6 Creature Cards, 2 Black Dragon Cards, 1 Key Card)
18 gems, cubes, or tokens(3 each of 6 different colors)

BACKSTORY:

The wicked Black Dragon has captured six magical creatures from all over the countryside, imprisoning them in his lair with his powerful crystal magic. Your mission is to free these creatures, using the Black Dragon's own crystal magic against him. Should you succeed in freeing them all, you can then attempt to trap the dragon in his own lair. Collect treasures along the way to aid you in your quest, and you may emerge a wealthy champion!

2018 Solitaire Print and Play Contest Awards for CRYSTALLO:

Best Overall Game: 1st
Best Original Artwork: 1st
Best Graphic Design: 1st
Volunteer Prize: 1st
Best New Artist: 1st
Best New Designer: 1st
Best Puzzle/Abstract: 1st
Best Regular PNP Build: 2nd
Best Game Designed in Contest Timeframe: 2nd
Best New Solitaire Designer: 2nd
Best Artist Overall: 2nd

HUGE VERSION 2 UPDATE!

WHAT’S NEW:

ART, DESIGN & GAMEPLAY

- Added icons to all orbs to make them colorblind-friendly (and easier tell apart in general)

- Changed crystal colors to be colorblind-friendly (red, yellow, and lilac as opposed to teal, yellow, and purple) based on feedback from two actual colorblind people (thanks Aleksander & Maverick!)
- Cleaned up some of the artwork, aligned cavern cards better
- Fixed the dragon so the two halves of his body should line up better.
- Added backs! Dark for cavern cards and light for creatures, so it’s easier to tell the cards apart
- Fixed unbalanced number of unusable red orbs
- Added TREASURE! 9 unique treasure illustrations added to cavern cards. These can be collected during the course of the game and add a nice additional strategic element!

- Updated key card with treasure bonuses on the back for handy reference

- Massively updated full-color rulebook with new score table and tons of helpful diagrams

PNP UPDATE

- All new PNP files put together by the wonderful Rachel Bruner (lovemyfire.) There is now an 8-card AND a 9-card layout and both of them are infinitely better than what I had thrown together myself!
- Tokens are included in both versions of the PNP, these can be cut square or circle-punched and used in place of gems if you prefer.
- Rulebook is available in a regular PDF but also as a 16-page, 3.5” x 5 booklet that can be printed and put together. Again, Rachel’s awesome

FILES

8 CARD LAYOUT:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/116Sn8s5YIfLliv9DNSv94Utiywu...

9 CARD LAYOUT:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PQkAXTopzozRypCps3X0e5Ya9lT...

RULEBOOK (BOOKLET FORM):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wEdmrAZFD1dmD34d4WxNVtrnGKG...

RULEBOOK (PDF):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tZLn9tVPHLqBvF69hL1qxauZ1Db...

WHAT'S NEXT:

I plan to take CRYSTALLO to Kickstarter (eek) so I've submitted it for addition to the database. Once that's hopefully approved I will make further updates there! Meantime I'm looking for testers, and maybe especially testers who want to mess around with multiplayer variants, as I'm pondering including one or more multiplayer modes in my rules. PLease let me know if you'd like to see a TTS or Tabletopia version as I could probably make that happen.

Huge thanks to everyone who has helped me get this far with this game! I'm really proud of it and I hope lots of you will enjoy it for a long time!

• [+] Dice rolls
Sammyo Roychowdhury
United States
Danville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP-- CRYSTALLO (Solo PNP Contest-- Components coming soon)
FYI, the rulebook isn't public. My access is getting denied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liberty Kifer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GoldfishPandaGames wrote:

JUST noticed! And fixed! Thank you, and you should be able to view it with the new link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sammyo Roychowdhury
United States
Danville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liberty Kifer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP-- CRYSTALLO (Solo PNP Contest-- TTS version test & an issue)
Well I have all but TWO of the cards illustrated, and those are for the extra "boss" level, so I pulled what I had done into TTS and tried a couple of games. I have been using pretty acrylic gems for my prototype, but the pawns that are available in TTS worked just fine actually, except for one problem I'll mention later.

All the pretty little creatures in a row, waiting to be liberated.

It's not *quite* as annoying to play this way as I thought it might be. It definitely took a bit longer than with cards though, and I'd *by far* prefer to play it that way. Still, it might work okay for testing purposes. I played two games, here's the first, which I lost by one. (You can see I freed all of the creatures except the Faerie (purple) which had one pawn left to remove.

And my second game, which was probably my best win yet out of all the games I have played (4 cards leftover.) Was wishing I could play the boss fight as those 4 extra cards would have probably meant a nice win on that as well.

There is one REALLY annoying problem, which I'm hoping someone can help me with. The game is pretty dependent on being able to overlap cards and still place the pawns on them. But in the Simulator, the cards behave as if they're half an inch thick! If I had one card laying on two others, it was practically a teeter totter. Very difficult to get the pawn to stay upright and not topple over. Any way to fix this in the settings??

Areas like this got pretty intense.

Anyway, I'm trying to finish up those last two illustrations today, then I'll work on making the TTS version available and the PNP version available as well for anyone who wants to give it a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP-- CRYSTALLO (Solo PNP Contest-- TTS Version Testing & An Issue!)
WOW, Liberty, your art is outstanding! heart I'm drooling with admiration and jealousy!

I'd love to pnp this when ready.

I did some poking around in TableTop Simulator but am not sure how to fix the issue. Some ideas to try:
-Lower the Height (icon at top of screen)
-Lower physics (Menu -> Configuration -> Physics at bottom)

I tried testing some of these and not sure it would help but might. Sorry, wish I knew for sure!

Oh, and I didn't see a link to this WIP thread from the Solo contest thread, unless I missed it. So you'll want to link to it on there so others know about your game. I found this thread from the GDCR. The link should be the one at the very top:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2056677/wip-crystallo-solo-...

Super excited to playtest your gorgeous game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liberty Kifer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally finished the Black Dragon (on two cards) which means the deck is now complete! Woohoo! (I really suck at drawing dragons, as it turns out, but he'll do.)

In other news, I'm adding the PNP links above and I'll also add them here. I included a lighter version of the PDF because a) slightly less ink and b) I haven't test printed the full ink version yet-- will do that tomorrow-- and I'm not sure if it will print overly dark or not.

FULL INK VERSION PDF: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E_xG3U-Wmwbmy2LdHdJLQ3ExXna...

LESS INK/LIGHTER VERSION: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oYEVyS4VTLC-du2Tv8KtyfzE1kj...

Tomorrow after I print (probably both versions) I will try to take some pictures or do a quick video to demonstrate how to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liberty Kifer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lovemyfire wrote:
WOW, Liberty, your art is outstanding! heart I'm drooling with admiration and jealousy!

I'd love to pnp this when ready.

I did some poking around in TableTop Simulator but am not sure how to fix the issue. Some ideas to try:
-Lower the Height (icon at top of screen)
-Lower physics (Menu -> Configuration -> Physics at bottom)

I tried testing some of these and not sure it would help but might. Sorry, wish I knew for sure!

Oh, and I didn't see a link to this WIP thread from the Solo contest thread, unless I missed it. So you'll want to link to it on there so others know about your game. I found this thread from the GDCR. The link should be the one at the very top:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2056677/wip-crystallo-solo-...

Super excited to playtest your gorgeous game!

Ohhh, yay! You posted this right as i was typing a new update-- the files are ready to print! EEK. I'm so excited you are planning to give it a try and blushing big time thanks to the lovely compliments I really designed this one for my girls and me so I went all out with the fantasy and rainbows! It was so fun!

As I mentioned, I haven't tried printing the original version yet so the lighter version (while not as pretty to my eyes) might be a safer bet, unless you are confident you can get a good result from your printer. I just know some dark stuff I printed at Staples before came out darker than I wanted.

And should I just post the WIP thread link in the Contest thread? I wasn't sure what the protocol was there, didn't want to be a pain I know I'm super late submitting.

Thanks again Rachel, and I'm really excited to hear how it goes for you!

OH--and PS--I will totally look into the settings you mentioned, I hope to have the TTS version up and running by Wednesday. Thank you for looking into that for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP-- CRYSTALLO (Solo PNP Contest-- Components Available!)
Excellent!! Yes, I love the rainbow colors and fantasy creatures. Two things I've always loved since I was a young girl too. I used to color pictures of unicorns in rainbow colors.

TableForFive wrote:
And should I just post the WIP thread link in the Contest thread? I wasn't sure what the protocol was there, didn't want to be a pain I know I'm super late submitting.
Yes, just post the link in the WIP with the name of your game, and I'd suggest an image or two of the cards you've made, because DANG, GILR, they really are outstanding!

PS Your dragon looks fantastic to me!! I heart Dragons!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liberty Kifer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lovemyfire wrote:
Excellent!! Yes, I love the rainbow colors and fantasy creatures. Two things I've always loved since I was a young girl too. I used to color pictures of unicorns in rainbow colors.

TableForFive wrote:
Yes, just post the link in the WIP with the name of your game, and I'd suggest an image or two of the cards you've made, because DANG, GILR, they really are outstanding!

PS Your dragon looks fantastic to me!! I heart Dragons!

Done! And thank you so much! I actually like him fine now I guess, but man was there a lot of hair-pulling in the process lol... It took me... A LOT OF TRIES, to get something I was happy with, so I think I'm stuck in critical mode I love what a learning process all of this has been, though. Learning something new every day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I printed a test of both files and they look great! My camera lightens them up, so they are darker/more colorful than the photo shows.

The two creatures that were clearer and easier to see in the brighter version was the dragon and sea-horse. So I printed the rest of the cards from the brighter file.

Super excited to read the rules and playtest this! But not tonight. Off to bed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liberty Kifer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lovemyfire wrote:
I printed a test of both files and they look great! My camera lightens them up, so they are darker/more colorful than the photo shows.

The two creatures that were clearer and easier to see in the brighter version was the dragon and sea-horse. So I printed the rest of the cards from the brighter file.

Super excited to read the rules and playtest this! But not tonight. Off to bed.

Oh, awesome!!! Thanks so much for testing both! That's really helpful to know and I'm glad that they're printing well I just finished cutting out Sask. Watch myself so I'm going to give that a try before I head to bed. Have a great night and I look forward to hearing about your playthrough whenever you get to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
If you can't beat the heat... You're not Jack Sly.
mbmbmbmbmb
TableForFive wrote:

JUST noticed! And fixed! Thank you, and you should be able to view it with the new link.

Same problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cut out cards, read the rules, and played a game this morning!

My 7 year old is enamored with the creature cards (her and I both)! Her favorites are the unicorn and faerie. She wanted to keep them.

I was thrilled to get to use my stash of crystal components that I have in 8 colors. Sadly, no orange or yellow, but the pink worked well enough as a substitute.

I set aside some black crystals as I thought I'd use them to attempt to trap the dragon (instead of placing colored crystals on the dragon's card) just for thematic purposes and because I have a HUGE stash of black ones (anyone want black crystals? Haha)

Question: In photo below is it legal to...

I didn't think so, from looking at your photos of your gameplay on TTS, so I didn't play that you could.

Here's game end where I lost by not being able to free the poor sea-horse. I didn't play several cards well (mostly at the top) and figure I'll do better next game:

You already know I think the artwork is gorgeous! So here are some thoughts/comments on components and gameplay. Any suggestions are just that, suggestions.

Overall your rules were very easy to understand and follow. I have not played Set (that I know of) and don't know how it is played, so I did not have that knowledge as a reference.

1. First, the theme and backstory are unique and clever! I really like how the magic from the creatures is used by the dragon to make the crystals glow.

2. I'd eventually like to have the card back image added to the pdf files so I can create backs when I make a more permanent copy of this game.

3. The dark blue color orbs were hard to see on the cards. It was sometimes hard to differentiate between the dark blue and purple too. Also, for those who are colorblind, I wonder if you put a symbol representing the creature in each orb it would make it easier?

4. You might want to number the pages in your rulebook, although with only 3 pages it's not that big of a deal.

5. Page 1, Components: Says 15 gems (3 each of 5...) however this should be 18 because there are six colors. I figure you started with 5 then changed it to 6 later.

6. Page 1, To Play: Question about this line, "Draw another card and play it adjacent to the first card so that one of the crystals on the second card lines up with one of the crystals on the first card." Does it have to be a crystal or can you play an orb down instead? A few times I may have wanted to place an orb instead of a crystal, but wasn't sure if this was allowed as the rule say crystal.

7. The valid crystal combinations was clear and felt well balanced. The reference card was vital to my gameplay. I just had to keep wrapping my mind around the other less-obvious options. After a few more gameplays I'm sure it will be easier.

8. Page 3, TO Trap the Dragon: "You may change the position of a card after placing it, but ONLY IF doing so does not affect any of your previously made sets." I assume this can only be done during this stage of the game, as this is where the rule is posted, but just clarifying that you can't change the position of a card during the first phase of freeing the magical creatures.

9. The second part of attempting to trap the dragon sounds fun! I didn't get there in this game but will hopefully do so in a future playtest. I envisioned the dragon was asleep while I was quietly freeing the trapped creatures and that while trying to free the last one I (or the sea-horse) made too much noise, waking the dragon who promptly ate me.

Crystallo is a fun puzzle game with a bit of a brain burn but not too much. It felt like just the right amount of puzzle solving needed while I played the game without becoming frustrating.

Also, the number of cards felt right for the game, although I'll need more playtests if this stays the same.

I'll have to teach this to my daughter and see if she "gets it". However, I would really like to see all the creature cards created in a future 2+ player game that I can play with her! I don't know what but would love to brainstorm ideas with you if you're interested. Not for this contest of course and probably not until after, but just a thought, no pressure.

I really look forward to playing it again! Great job on everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liberty Kifer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lovemyfire wrote:
Cut out cards, read the rules, and played a game this morning!

My 7 year old is enamored with the creature cards (her and I both)! Her favorites are the unicorn and faerie. She wanted to keep them.

I was thrilled to get to use my stash of crystal components that I have in 8 colors. Sadly, no orange or yellow, but the pink worked well enough as a substitute.

Ahhh so cool to see it on someone else's table! And I'm so glad your daughter was taken with the creatures as well!

lovemyfire wrote:

Question: In photo below is it legal to...

I didn't think so, from looking at your photos of your gameplay on TTS, so I didn't play that you could.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding perfectly, hehe, but if you mean making an all blue crystal set with a single/double/triple on the spread out corners of that card, then no, not legal. Has to be a square, not a rectangle I may be able to find a way to clarify that, so thank you for bringing it up!

lovemyfire wrote:

2. I'd eventually like to have the card back image added to the pdf files so I can create backs when I make a more permanent copy of this game.

I can easily do that! For sure! I can add it today The image I was using for the TTS version is actually what I designed for the eventual tuck box, but I hadn't yet decided if I should take the name of the game off and just have the symbol (that's what I'm leaning toward.) What do you think?

lovemyfire wrote:

3. The dark blue color orbs were hard to see on the cards. It was sometimes hard to differentiate between the dark blue and purple too. Also, for those who are colorblind, I wonder if you put a symbol representing the creature in each orb it would make it easier?

I was worried about that! A symbol would be a GREAT solution, and one that honestly hadn't crossed my mind! I will see what I can come up with. I might make some adjustments to the blue and purple orbs too, maybe just surrounding them with a brighter (lighter) glow to set them apart or something. I figured that might be a case where it works great on screen and not as great in print, so I really appreciate the feedback.

lovemyfire wrote:

4. You might want to number the pages in your rulebook, although with only 3 pages it's not that big of a deal.

5. Page 1, Components: Says 15 gems (3 each of 5...) however this should be 18 because there are six colors. I figure you started with 5 then changed it to 6 later.

4 is an easy fix, so why not! Will do. And 5. Oh my gosh haha....there were always 6 so I'm not sure how I got that wrong Thank you, will fix!

lovemyfire wrote:

6. Page 1, To Play: Question about this line, "Draw another card and play it adjacent to the first card so that one of the crystals on the second card lines up with one of the crystals on the first card." Does it have to be a crystal or can you play an orb down instead? A few times I may have wanted to place an orb instead of a crystal, but wasn't sure if this was allowed as the rule say crystal.

This, this is a GREAT question. I honestly have debated it a lot with myself. There are definitely times when I want to play an orb to complete a set. But I wondered if this would give too much flexibility and make the game too easy. One thing I've noticed over many plays is that I started to plan ahead a bit more, in terms of where I placed things, creating openings for later, etc. And I feel like that strategic element would be stronger if I keep it to crystals only in terms of moves. However I'm willing to be argued with on that point if you feel strongly that it would improve the game to be able to play the orbs!

lovemyfire wrote:

7. The valid crystal combinations was clear and felt well balanced. The reference card was vital to my gameplay. I just had to keep wrapping my mind around the other less-obvious options. After a few more gameplays I'm sure it will be easier.

It definitely gets easier, I promise! And I feel like the less-obvious options become more obvious as you're forced into them over repeated plays (I feel I often end up using them on the first few turns because that's what's available, though I probably still favor the "all one color" or "all one shape" matches.) I'm glad the Key card helped! I am thinking for the final version I may use the other side to list the ranks you can achieve.

lovemyfire wrote:

8. Page 3, TO Trap the Dragon: "You may change the position of a card after placing it, but ONLY IF doing so does not affect any of your previously made sets." I assume this can only be done during this stage of the game, as this is where the rule is posted, but just clarifying that you can't change the position of a card during the first phase of freeing the magical creatures.

YES. Great point. I should really say so in the earlier part of the rules just so there is no room for doubt. I feel like not being able to change cards in the first part of the game makes it just right in terms of difficulty, but not being able to in the Black Dragon phase would just make it too hard. I'm not great at planning several moves at a time (I suck at chess! haha) so the boss level is definitely a challenge for me. But that feels right, since you already have the satisfaction of winning the first part, the second part is tougher. Of course, the better you do with the first part, the more help you have with the second as you get to add any extra cards to the 9 you set aside. Gives you that extra motivation to do well on the first part, I feel.

lovemyfire wrote:

9. The second part of attempting to trap the dragon sounds fun! I didn't get there in this game but will hopefully do so in a future playtest. I envisioned the dragon was asleep while I was quietly freeing the trapped creatures and that while trying to free the last one I (or the sea-horse) made too much noise, waking the dragon who promptly ate me.

I love that! I totally thought of it as he's sleeping too, and then he wakes when they all run out, and you have to trap him to save yourself. But that totally works too!

lovemyfire wrote:

Crystallo is a fun puzzle game with a bit of a brain burn but not too much. It felt like just the right amount of puzzle solving needed while I played the game without becoming frustrating.

EXACTLY what I wanted to hear! I took quite a bit of flack in an earlier post asking about solo games when I was working on the idea for this, for saying I wanted a game that would be a relaxing puzzle (the 1PG doesn't mess around!) so it's nice to hear that someone else found it enjoyable despite it not being extremely brain-taxing or stressful Maybe there's something about being a mom that makes a person want a little peace and calm when they're doing a solo game?

lovemyfire wrote:

I'll have to teach this to my daughter and see if she "gets it". However, I would really like to see all the creature cards created in a future 2+ player game that I can play with her! I don't know what but would love to brainstorm ideas with you if you're interested. Not for this contest of course and probably not until after, but just a thought, no pressure.

I really look forward to playing it again! Great job on everything.

I taught all three of my girls, and the 9 and 11-year-olds had no trouble at all picking it up on the first try. The 5 year old needed a lot of help remembering what sets were legal but after 3 or 4 plays she *mostly* gets it right. So I would suspect for a 7-year-old it's definitely doable if she's not the extremely impatient type. My girls actually loved playing with me, taking turns placing cards as kind of a cooperative thing, so that might be a good way to teach her? I find it's actually pretty fun to watch, and I had an audience every time I played We did actually try a 2-player game where we each picked 3 creatures and took turns playing cards trying to free more of our creatures than the other person.

Which was fun! But feels thematically a little evil somehow? Like I'm actively trying to keep the unicorn trapped? lol... I do, however, feel like this same set of cards could be used to make a great 2-player version, and I would absolutely love to talk more with you about that! I want to come up with something that makes up for less moves per person by lasting longer, and something that doesn't seem cruel as far as pitting the creatures against each other would be ideal!

Thank you so much for your awesome feedback, it's so appreciated!

ETA: Actually, although I hadn't thought of it, I'd be open to using the creatures for a different, separate 2-player game too! Open to all ideas for sure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liberty Kifer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XendoBreckett wrote:
TableForFive wrote:

Same problem.

You're still not able to access the rulebook?? That's weird! It looks like Rachel was able to, and I'm able to open it while in an incognito browser so I'm not sure what the problem might be! I'd be happy to email it you or send paste it into a geek mail or something if you'd like to take a look!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TableForFive wrote:
Ahhh so cool to see it on someone else's table!
This is always a highlight for my games and never gets old!

Quote:
I'm not sure if I'm understanding perfectly, hehe, but if you mean making an all blue crystal set with a single/double/triple on the spread out corners of that card, then no, not legal. Has to be a square, not a rectangle I may be able to find a way to clarify that, so thank you for bringing it up!
You understood me right! thumbsup Good to know.

Quote:
I can easily do that! For sure! I can add it today The image I was using for the TTS version is actually what I designed for the eventual tuck box, but I hadn't yet decided if I should take the name of the game off and just have the symbol (that's what I'm leaning toward.) What do you think?
With or without the game's name is fine with me. I like either look. Maybe someone else will have an opinion about it, but whatever you go with is probably fine.

Quote:
I was worried about that! A symbol would be a GREAT solution, and one that honestly hadn't crossed my mind! I will see what I can come up with. I might make some adjustments to the blue and purple orbs too, maybe just surrounding them with a brighter (lighter) glow to set them apart or something. I figured that might be a case where it works great on screen and not as great in print, so I really appreciate the feedback.
I think the two colors aren't too much of an issue, more the dark blue blends in too much with the background color. But adding a symbol to the orbs would be awesome and clarify any color issues.

Quote:
This, this is a GREAT question. I honestly have debated it a lot with myself. There are definitely times when I want to play an orb to complete a set. But I wondered if this would give too much flexibility and make the game too easy. One thing I've noticed over many plays is that I started to plan ahead a bit more, in terms of where I placed things, creating openings for later, etc. And I feel like that strategic element would be stronger if I keep it to crystals only in terms of moves. However I'm willing to be argued with on that point if you feel strongly that it would improve the game to be able to play the orbs!
Not being allowed to play orbs sounds good, as you don't want the game too easy. So I suggest keeping as is.

Quote:
I'm glad the Key card helped! I am thinking for the final version I may use the other side to list the ranks you can achieve.
Good idea!

Quote:
YES. Great point. I should really say so in the earlier part of the rules just so there is no room for doubt. I feel like not being able to change cards in the first part of the game makes it just right in terms of difficulty, but not being able to in the Black Dragon phase would just make it too hard.
Agreed! Just clarifying it in the rules would be good.

Quote:
EXACTLY what I wanted to hear! I took quite a bit of flack in an earlier post asking about solo games when I was working on the idea for this, for saying I wanted a game that would be a relaxing puzzle (the 1PG doesn't mess around!) so it's nice to hear that someone else found it enjoyable despite it not being extremely brain-taxing or stressful
Haha! Well, there are all levels of gameplayers and if you want to create and play a puzzle game that's fun, relaxing, yet still challenging without burning out your brain- go for it! I'm sure there are more than just you and I who prefer this type of puzzle game.

Quote:
I do, however, feel like this same set of cards could be used to make a great 2-player version, and I would absolutely love to talk more with you about that! I want to come up with something that makes up for less moves per person by lasting longer, and something that doesn't seem cruel as far as pitting the creatures against each other would be ideal!

Thank you so much for your awesome feedback, it's so appreciated!

ETA: Actually, although I hadn't thought of it, I'd be open to using the creatures for a different, separate 2-player game too! Open to all ideas for sure
Yes, I was thinking of a separate game, maybe a sequel. Maybe once the creatures have been freed they have to make it back home. This could be a cooperative game, so you wouldn't pit the creatures against each other but work to protect them from dangers (the land, other creatures/people) as they travel home. Their home could be in a magical forest, and each character has their own location, like the sea-horse lives in the lake/ocean along the edge of the forest, the unicorn is at the center of the forest, the phoenix is in the rocks/mountain part of the land, etc. Just an idea, and you don't have to do it at all or even with me, I just thought it would be fun to play other games with the same characters.

Anyway, thanks for answering my questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TableForFive wrote:
XendoBreckett wrote:
TableForFive wrote:

Same problem.

You're still not able to access the rulebook?? That's weird! It looks like Rachel was able to, and I'm able to open it while in an incognito browser so I'm not sure what the problem might be! I'd be happy to email it you or send paste it into a geek mail or something if you'd like to take a look!
Maybe make it a pdf file that can be downloaded?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Skevington-Carter
United Kingdom
Bridgnorth
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lovemyfire wrote:
TableForFive wrote:
XendoBreckett wrote:
TableForFive wrote:

Same problem.

Maybe make it a pdf file that can be downloaded?

The rule book works for me, but the cards dont open from the link in the first post; however I can open them from the link in the post with the image of the dragon cards.

The rules read well and seem straightforward. The cards, especially the magical creatures, are truly stunning. Hope to get this printed and played tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liberty Kifer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lovemyfire wrote:

Yes, I was thinking of a separate game, maybe a sequel. Maybe once the creatures have been freed they have to make it back home. This could be a cooperative game, so you wouldn't pit the creatures against each other but work to protect them from dangers (the land, other creatures/people) as they travel home. Their home could be in a magical forest, and each character has their own location, like the sea-horse lives in the lake/ocean along the edge of the forest, the unicorn is at the center of the forest, the phoenix is in the rocks/mountain part of the land, etc. Just an idea, and you don't have to do it at all or even with me, I just thought it would be fun to play other games with the same characters.

Anyway, thanks for answering my questions.

That sounds so fun! I would love to work on something like that (and I'd love to work with you!) I love the idea of giving the creatures a bit more control over their own fates and making THEM the heroes of the next one Let's stay in touch on that. I'm sure I'll have lots of downtime this fall and winter to play with more ideas. My first game (Feed The Humans) is basically done, so I'll be doing playtests but mostly getting ready for our planned Kickstarter in Feb/March/April (somewhere in there.) And then I have my second game Curiosity which I will be devoting some time to after the contest is over and Crystallo is more or less done. But I'll definitely be in the mood to do some more artwork down the line and I think where you're going with that multiplayer version sounds like it could be a wonderful artistic challenge!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TableForFive wrote:
That sounds so fun! I would love to work on something like that (and I'd love to work with you!) I love the idea of giving the creatures a bit more control over their own fates and making THEM the heroes of the next one Let's stay in touch on that. I'm sure I'll have lots of downtime this fall and winter to play with more ideas. My first game (Feed The Humans) is basically done, so I'll be doing playtests but mostly getting ready for our planned Kickstarter in Feb/March/April (somewhere in there.) And then I have my second game Curiosity which I will be devoting some time to after the contest is over and Crystallo is more or less done. But I'll definitely be in the mood to do some more artwork down the line and I think where you're going with that multiplayer version sounds like it could be a wonderful artistic challenge!
Sounds good to me!

I'd be happy to playtest Feed The Humans when you're ready. I think you were still working on typing up the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liberty Kifer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cattarn wrote:

The rule book works for me, but the cards dont open from the link in the first post; however I can open them from the link in the post with the image of the dragon cards.

The rules read well and seem straightforward. The cards, especially the magical creatures, are truly stunning. Hope to get this printed and played tomorrow.

Ah, strange! I will take a look and see if there is something off about the links up top. Thank you! And thanks so much for the kind words and your interest. Do you have a game in the contest? My PNP abilities are limited but I'd love to return the favor if I can!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liberty Kifer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lovemyfire wrote:

I'd be happy to playtest Feed The Humans when you're ready. I think you were still working on typing up the rules.

That would be AMAZING. And yes, I have the rulebook up BUT I have several edits to make after I got feedback from people. I will let you know when that's done though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liberty Kifer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PNP file links up top are fixed! Sorry about that! I copied from the other post so I got the ellipses instead of the full version. All better now. And I'll try to get the rules up as a PDF next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Skevington-Carter
United Kingdom
Bridgnorth
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TableForFive wrote:
cattarn wrote:

Ah, strange! I will take a look and see if there is something off about the links up top. Thank you! And thanks so much for the kind words and your interest. Do you have a game in the contest? My PNP abilities are limited but I'd love to return the favor if I can!

I'm just a person who loves playing games, not in the design my own group (yet - never say never, I may wake up one day and have an awesome idea but I think it'll be a long time coming!) I'll let you know how the game goes tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] |