GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,144 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game» Forums » General

Subject: LNoE vs Dead of Night rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Li'l Ronnie Post
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Both Last Night on Earth and Dead of Night have been well-received (the former a bit more enthusiastically, perhaps); has anyone played both?

We have Zombies (fun with the game-shortening variations) and Zombie Plague, as well as a copy of All Flesh Must Be Eaten, (which we haven't had time to explore yet), and it would be harder to justify two more zombie games rather than one.

Can anyone discuss how these games compare and differ? I'm guessing they are more similar to each other than they are to something like Mall of Horror (another zombie-themed game I've considered).

In the interest of fairness, I'll ask this same question in the Dead of Night forum as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Dead of Night.

My copy of LNOE is on its way. I only know what I read about it.

I am thinking that if I had to choose between these two, I would choose LNOE for the following reasons:

It looks to be as fun or perhaps even more fun to play.

Its gamelength is more suitable. If more time needs to be filled, play 2 or 3 games.

I believe it will be more accessible. I know several people I will try to get to play LNOE that I won't even attempt to try to convince to play Dead of Night.

More manageable - The one thing that bogs Dead of Night down for me is the massive numbers of zombies that appear. I am talking literally hundreds. They all need to be moved when zombies move. There can be up to 4 in a space, and can take some time to move them all in the later turns.

Now, please do not misunderstand me. I really like to play Dead of Night. If I could only take 2 zombie games, Dead of Night and LNOE would be the two. Also, if you happen to like longer games (2-3 hours), and have enough people to play where accesability is not the factor it is with me, and if the concept of hundreds of zombies busting through the windows and doors grabs you much more than a paltry 14 zombies, then your prefeence might be different.

That's my 2 cents worth, and is purely a matter of individual taste and based on playing DON a few times but only on what I have read concerning LNOE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Li'l Ronnie Post
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Thanks for your comments, Jon. I look forward to seeing if others have a similar take.

One other question I'd like to put out there that's a little more specific. Is one of these significantly "darker" than the other? Are either unsuitable for younger teens? I ask because I've read many comparisons to the zombie b-movie genre, which can be extremely gory (Joe Bob says "Yeah, baby!").

I'm fine with that, but some elements of my main gaming group (read: family) might be ok with zombies, but not so comfortable with more explicit graphics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read the rules for Dead of Night and Zombie Plague but haven't played them yet. Mostly becuase I was too lazy to actually build a copy to play! One good thing is this game already comes with great bits. But from the rules reading I'd say LNoE is far faster to play and far more flexible. Though I think Zombie Plague looks like fun, it's a longer game and it's pretty much the same game each time. LNoE is scenario driven and has a changable board.

I was at a con last weekend and played LNoE with a group that included a 10 year old and 7 year old (both fathers played too) and no one had any issues with the theme. Think of it as a PG version 80's horror movie. Or one heavily edited for TV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm free-basing midichloriens and the force is, like, an energy that connects and penetrates us all, man.
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
them wrote:
...All Flesh Must Be Eaten, ...

Whatsdatnow?

...is that one not in the database?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Frank
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dreadpirate wrote:
them wrote:
...All Flesh Must Be Eaten, ...

Whatsdatnow?

...is that one not in the database?

It is an RPG not a board game, which is why it is not in the DB. Great game, good system but fun theme and one, if not the only all zombie themed RPGs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
mbourgeois wrote:
I don't have LNOE so I can't really comment on it... but I've played a couple of games of Zombie Plague and I really have to disagree with you that every game will be the same. We've played games with the zombie horde already on the map, we've played ones with the zombies shambling in from only one direction. We've played on different maps as well. Heroclix maps are great for Zombie Plague and the ones in the ZP entry are wonderful. I'll know in a while if the two are comparable but for now I'd say what they have in common is that they're both about Zombies and that you can have tons of fun with both if you're in the right frame of mind.

I stand corrected!

You are right, since the game is pretty open ended rules-wise you could pretty much do whatever you want though the basic game is about collecting keys and escaping in the car/boat/truck. But since it's a freeware game lots of people have made some wonderful add-ons to it. And those maps on the Zombie Plague page are amazing. At first I was thinking they'd work great for LNoE. But LNoE zombies bypass walls and since the object of those maps is to block off entrances it wouldn't work well. Those maps are mostly buildings. Though maybe you could just make zombies obey walls and give them 2 square moves to compensate. Might be some interesting variants there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Worm
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
MoonSylver wrote:
The closest it comes to offencive is the "This May Be Our Last Night On Earth" card which forces a male/female hero in the same space to lose a turn whilst they engage in little "Bow-chicka-bow-wow!", but it's IMPLIED, not explicit.
---MS

Someone needs to upload a pic of that card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.