GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,374 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Sid Meier's Civilization: The Boardgame» Forums » Rules

Subject: Fertile Productive rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Brown
United States
Orcutt
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The new rules state: Settlements built in these fertile regions produce more than average. Place a size 2
settlement (town) in the region. If a settlement already exists there, increase its
size by 1.

How would a settlement already exist there? You explore with your settler, find the fertile token, build a town instead of a village, right? I don't understand how an unexplored civ token could be in a region with a settlement. Anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Stewart
United States
Anoka
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
We shall drink to our partnership. Do you like gin? It is my only weakness.
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, this came up on the old Eagle game forums. If I remember right, they said that you don't have to explore the region before you place a city down (essentially giving you a blank city).

Because of the change of recieving really great resource, IMHO, it would be stupid not to explore a region, so I don't see the point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kuhn

Indianapolis
Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your memory of the explanation is correct.

Some players wanted to construct settlements without exploration because of the fear of getting some bad result (e.g. plague, or poor terrain). The rules didn't prevent it. So that's the explanation of "why".

From a rules standpoint, we should never have allowed settlements without exploration, as it adds complexity without a good justification. (How can you construct a settlement without exploring the area?)

Next life...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Guy
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I can tell a literal interpretation of the rules means one can build a settlement without exploring, precisely to avoid plagues and poor terrains. This is obviously broken, so the rule should be that when a settlement is built the marker must be revealed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.