Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Simpson
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is my honor to nominate Tristan Hall. Always very involved in the over all board game community, he also shows a ton of attention to us solo gamers.

1 A short bio.

Thank you so much to the very kind and generous Matthew for nominating me as sock puppet, I'm honoured to be here amongst such esteemed company.

As for me, I just turned 40, I'm married to the woman of my dreams, and have one 8 y/o boy who rules my life and rocks my world, and who I let play far too many games. I spent most of the last decade heading up a corporate film team before packing it all in to go freelance last year.

Some time ago I desperately wanted to recapture my childhood D&D days as an adult, so I spent ten years designing a game to scratch that itch, which funded on Kickstarter back in 2015 after 27 days of a 30 day campaign. Since then I'm delighted to say it's done pretty well, so I'm currently trying to do less and less video work so I can concentrate more and more on the gaming side of things.

When I joined BGG in 2005 I was the annoying guy asking everyone where the solo rules were for every game that I was interested in (playing once a week with my group isn't nearly enough gaming for my liking) - and if solo rules didn't exist I would try to design them myself. Back then solo players were almost universally sneered at, so imagine my surprise a few years ago when I stumbled open this gigantic guild of thousands of like-minded and lovely individuals with the same passion for solitaire gaming as me: it was like coming home...

Favourite Game: Mage Knight. No, Kingdom Death. No, Warfighter. No. Mage Knight.
Game I last played: Everdell.
Hardest Game to learn: Magic Realm.
Philosophy: If you're lonely when you're alone, you're in bad company.

Poll
Two truths and a lie
I worked on the TV shows Life on Mars and Shameless.
I can only breathe through one nostril at a time because of injuries.
Mistaken for a rugby player I once signed an autograph at a match.
      43 answers
Poll created by simpsonps121

Questions from me:
I'm a sucker for art in games - what's the most elegant and beautiful euro you've ever played?
What's your favourite board game group outside of the 1PG (any platform)?
What do you listen to when you play board games?
What should I add to my list on Netflix/Amazon Prime?
What's your favourite PlayStation 4 game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Winning
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Tristan!!! I’m excited to get to know more about you (and very excited to get my copy of GoK once the KS fulfills).

1) Who is your favorite Star Wars character?

2) What’s your favorite party game?

3) Do you enjoy cooking? If so, what do you like to make?

4) Is cereal soup?

Thanks and have an amazing week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usual questions 1&2:

What have you done that you are most proud of?

What's the supidest thing you've done that you are willing to admit to doing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Baer
China
Suzhou
flag msg tools
badge
Nothing to see here, move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Tristan! Have a great week. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryn
msg tools
badge
A rising tide lifts all ships.
mbmbmbmbmb
simpsonps121 wrote:

I really like this quote. I think being comfortable with yourself is a pretty important thing.

Congratulations on being the new Sock Puppet of the Week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Tristan!

As long as I've been out here, you have always been a great addition to conversations.

And now to the questions...

1. What's one of the best shows yoi filmed?

2. Describe the MOST exciting part of running your KS campaign.

3. What's the game you most ebjoy playing with your son?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few people I'm amazed haven't already been nominated for this - you were one. Congratulations, Tristan, well deserved.

So, my first question - will you ever play Kilforth with me?

Second, where the hell were you when Moreton bought us all drinks at UKGE this year?

Third, what comes after Agincourt? Poitiers or Waterloo?

Fourth, is it true you hate French people?

Fifth, is it true that 1066: Tears to Many Mothers was nearly called 2016: Tears of Many Mothers?

Sixth, are you the seventh son of a seventh son?

Seventh, what is 'Manchester'?

Eighth, how does Francesca put up with you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Redheaded Pharmacist
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Tristan! Enjoy your week. I always enjoy your contributions.

One question: any theme for a solo game you’d like to see made that isn’t already available?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Roll for Initiative!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Tristan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
Calw
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Tristan! Enjoy your week in the spotlight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Tristan! Enjoy your week! My oldest son is also 8! What’s your favorite game to play with him?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Shadows of Kilforth - March 2019 Kickstarter
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woo hoo, thanks so much for having me here guys, and I look forward to replying to you all in due course!

Donutz McGoo wrote:
Congrats Tristan!!! I’m excited to get to know more about you (and very excited to get my copy of GoK once the KS fulfills).

1) Who is your favorite Star Wars character?

2) What’s your favorite party game?

3) Do you enjoy cooking? If so, what do you like to make?

4) Is cereal soup?

Thanks and have an amazing week!

Firstly, thanks for supporting Gloom of Kilforth - we appreciate and love every backer!
Next to your questions:

1) My favourite Star Wars character was Han Solo, until the ‘Solo’ Star Wars movie, so I’ll have to go with Vader instead.

2) Resistance Avalon has been the most fun so far.

3) I don’t enjoy the prospect of cooking, but once I get into it I take pride in it - and I can do a passable roast pork dinner with the trimmings.

4) I’d never considered this before, but since soup is basically a lumpy drink, I’m going to say... yes.

MadMihi wrote:
Congratulations Tristan! Have a great week. meeple

de_la_poer wrote:
Congratulations Tristan!

Zakoholic wrote:
Congratulations, Tristan! Enjoy your week in the spotlight.

Thanks guys!
Be back again shortly...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mb
Congrats, Tristan! Well deserved. Enjoy your week. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slaybalj wrote:
Usual questions 1&2:

What have you done that you are most proud of?

What's the supidest thing you've done that you are willing to admit to doing?

Getting married and raising an heir are my best moments, but are probably the most common responses to your first question too, so let’s go with: aligning my number 1 hobby to my career and publishing my first game.

To your second question, at school I once spent ten minutes convincing my friend he should let me try out his brand new mountain bike. When he finally begrudgingly let me I cycled to top speed and whacked on the front brake instead of the rear brake. In front of my entire school I went straight over the handlebars and split my side open. It took me three weeks of paper round money to pay him back for that busted gearbox, and twice as many weeks to recover from the pointing and laughing!

Dubious Bryn wrote:
simpsonps121 wrote:

I really like this quote. I think being comfortable with yourself is a pretty important thing.

Congratulations on being the new Sock Puppet of the Week!

Thank you friend - and the quote is from Jean-Paul Sartre whose work helped me enormously as a kid growing up.

The Professor wrote:
Congrats, Tristan!

As long as I've been out here, you have always been a great addition to conversations.

And now to the questions...

1. What's one of the best shows yoi filmed?

2. Describe the MOST exciting part of running your KS campaign.

3. What's the game you most enjoy playing with your son?

Likewise Joe, always interested to read your posts.

1. My favourite TV series to work on was Life On Mars - the first time I Met John Simm in the ADR room he came straight in from set dressed in his leather jacket and clothes from the show and as a huge fan I was like “You’re breaking my fourth wall!”

2. The most exciting part of running my own KS campaign, hmm. It has to be from the first campaign for Gloom of Kilforth. Not quite the moment we actually funded, which was fantastically exciting of course, nor when the campaign finished well above funding, but maybe a week before all of that, when it went from being ‘oh well, at least you can’t say I didn’t try’ to ‘oh crap, this might actually happen after all’. Ah, who am I kidding, the whole 30 days was insanely good fun - and each Kickstarter since then has been enormously exciting (and exhausting) too. Bring on the next one!

3. Brilliant question, we play a lot of games now, and he’s often picking me up on rules I miss. We also play lots of PS4 games (like Trine - fantastic) together. But on cardboard we’ve had tons of fun recently with Charterstone, Zombicide: Black Plague, Gloomhaven, Legacy of Dragonholt, and Everdell. He just came into the office so I asked him this very question for you - his reply? “Gloom of Kilforth!” laugh Well trained, that boy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mo7189 wrote:
Congrats, Tristan! Well deserved. Enjoy your week. meeple

Thanks Mo!

Redheaded Pharmacist wrote:
Congrats Tristan! Enjoy your week. I always enjoy your contributions.

One question: any theme for a solo game you’d like to see made that isn’t already available?

A proper horror game. Look out for Sublime Dark next year...

davekuhns wrote:
Congrats Tristan! Enjoy your week! My oldest son is also 8! What’s your favorite game to play with him?

Thanks Dave - to be honest I love playing any game with him. I listed a bunch of them above, but I also really enjoy it when we can convince Mrs NinjaDorg to join in on a game of Near and Far or 7 Wonders too. Family gaming for the lighter stuff, and solo gaming for when I want to tackle the big games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Attention! Chat lunatique!
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gratz on the promotion to SPOTW! Two questions, one silly, one serious:

* What would a real sock puppet of you look like?

* When people look back on life, they can usually pick out times when the choice they made would have led to a dramatically different life. What time(s) would that have been for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cornishlee wrote:
There are a few people I'm amazed haven't already been nominated for this - you were one. Congratulations, Tristan, well deserved.

Second, where the hell were you when Moreton bought us all drinks at UKGE this year?

Fifth, is it true that 1066: Tears to Many Mothers was nearly called 2016: Tears of Many Mothers?

Thanks for your kind words Lee - and for the other words too!

In a heartbeat!

Gutted I missed this - I did pop over for two minutes to say hello, but Francesca and I had been without food for about 12 hours at that point and had to go and regroup. Next year!

Next in the series is 1565, St Elmo's Pay - you've just reminded me that I need to add a BGG entry for it, cheers.

Modern day French people are very lovely - but you really can't trust their plundering Norman ancestors of 1,000 years ago...

If we hadn't funded, maybe.

Second son of a first son. Malkin would make short work of me.

It's the embodiment of some of the best music the world has ever produced, the birth place of the computer and a miracle substance called Graphite, and it's my adopted home.

She has the patience of a saint. And the one inch punch of Bruce Lee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Roll for Initiative!
mbmbmbmbmb
- Favorite HeroQuest character?
- Favorite Magic Realm character?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SailinDude wrote:
Gratz on the promotion to SPOTW!

Cheers - delighted to be here!

SailinDude wrote:
* What would a real sock puppet of you look like?

Cookie Monster!

SailinDude wrote:
* When people look back on life, they can usually pick out times when the choice they made would have led to a dramatically different life. What time(s) would that have been for you?

I was recovering in a bar in Manchester (spoiler: I didn’t live there at the time) with friends the day after my birthday. I noticed this insanely beautiful girl whom I recognised from the year above me at school but hadn’t spoken to for 5 years. We’d actually written to each other - remember writing letters to stay in touch? - but then we’d lost contact after my parents moved house.

My friends said to go and say hello to her but couldn’t understand when I refused to. They were used to me being the gobby loudmouth, but finally I’d lost my bottle. And not just because she was sitting in a group with about a dozen rugby players. I was an awkward teenager all over again. We were supposed to be meeting people in town, so the lads were telling me to hurry up because we needed to leave. Sliding Doors Tristan bows to peer pressure and leaves.

Instead, just as they got up to leave, I bought us all more drinks and made sure we switched tables so that we were directly in her eye-line, where I pointedly looked everywhere but at her. Eventually, she spotted me and ran over to us, really excited, happy and chatty to see me after all these years, and wasn't it a coincidence that we'd met of all places in a city where neither of us lived? I sat there and struggled to say a word. For years afterwards she thought I was just being cool, rather than actually being paralysed with fear.

Notwithstanding my inability to articulate myself, I somehow convinced her to exchange telephone numbers. Then I wooed her in the coming months with poetry of varying quality - but even in spite of this we still fell madly in love.

And one day I'll tell my wife about her. Just kidding, of course she became my wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
de_la_poer wrote:
- Favorite HeroQuest character?

Barbarian - so I can wield the Broadswoad!

de_la_poer wrote:
- Favorite Magic Realm character?

Swordsman - so I can die three times in one month, like I did the last time I played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is your favourite puppet?

How long is it going to take to convince you that the Normans weren't French & they were right (although not as right as the Norwegians)? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toc13 wrote:
What is your favourite puppet?

Théoden.

Toc13 wrote:
How long is it going to take to convince you that the Normans weren't French & they were right (although not as right as the Norwegians)? devil

About 1,066 years ought to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
1 Player Guild
badge
Breaker of Wallets
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Tristan! Somehow this thread got eaten up with the site's recent downtime and I missed it... I was wondering what had happened to the newest sock puppet. Ha! Enjoy your week in the spotlight, and thank you for everything you continue to do for solo gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
Calw
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Albia wrote:
Congratulations, Tristan! Somehow this thread got eaten up with the site's recent downtime and I missed it... I was wondering what had happened to the newest sock puppet. Ha! Enjoy your week in the spotlight, and thank you for everything you continue to do for solo gaming!

You're right, Jessica. I only learned about it when Tristan posted about it on Twitter. I posted about this thread in the subscription thread just now, because this likely was forgotten because of the downtime too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Perez
United States
Meriden
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Tristan! Never has a fellow been more deserving of a hand being jammed up their... uh, well, yeah. Congrats again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.