Adrenaline: Team Play DLC» Forums » General

Subject: Development notes #1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Caslava
Czech Republic
Kolin
flag msg tools
This is the first article in my planned series about developing the Adrenaline: Team Play DLC expansion. I took so many notes during the last two years and I’m very afraid some of them will bore people to death, but maybe some of them will not. Let’s see.

First of all, I would like to introduce myself a little bit. I’ve been working for Czech Games Edition for approximately three years now and one of the first projects in which I was fully involved was Adrenaline from Croatian designer Filip Neduk. I was one of the development guys helping Filip tighten the screws. I also created the official Turret Mode, which you can find in the original rulebook. Go try it, it’s fun to play :-)

When did we (as CGE) decide that Adrenaline was a very solid title and it would be nice to have an expansion? Eh… most likely before it actually hit the shelves. It was designated as very open system from the very beginning and we were completely sure we would like to continue with that story if players would let us. I had some original ideas about Capture the Flag mode and how to handle the team play dating back to early 2016.

But I don’t want to dive that deep, it was just sketching, some raw ideas. Development of Team Play DLC expansion was very dynamic and I was part of the team more or less the entire time. During the last year I was the main developer and it was my decision where we wanted to go with the expansion. If you have a project, where many people are involved and it’s a game which everyone loves - you can imagine how many ideas you need to handle. As the person in charge for Team Play DLC, I decided we needed to have some clear focus first.

Our first idea was to add the 6th player. Obviously, the second idea was allowing the team play with 3vs3 teams. Adrenaline was already quite long with five players for my personal taste, so I put some streamlining on the to-do list. Sure, you can just open the door and let Echo walk in, but I was very afraid the game would be too long.

The first solution, and in these days the most important one, was developing the Adrenaline Rush system. It allows us to build some awesome weapons, give players some spectacular moves and also cut something from the time length. After all, it’s one of the core changes that Team Play DLC brings into your game of Adrenaline and you can use it very easily in regular Deathmatch.

Each character has a little tile on their player’s boards. This tile duplicates the killshot and overkill slots from the damage track and at the start of the game, it lies in exactly the same space, so you can hardly see any difference. However, now players have an interesting choice. Is there a chance to do something really nasty? How about punch someone in the face with the Sledgehammer? That weapon is so awesome but it requires to be in the same spot as your target. It’s easy to achieve that, with adrenaline in your blood and with adrenaline actions, but that was before. Now you don’t need to wait for your opponents to be generous to you and you will have taken enough damage. Now you can use anything you want - but there is a price.

Players can unlock adrenaline actions anytime, but it means going to the edge of possibilities, pushing themselves to the limits. When a player decides to unlock an adrenaline action in the moment they don’t have enough damage on their player board, they need to move Adrenaline Rush tile one space to the left. It didn’t affect anything. Ok, they will die sooner, that’s true, but they will have an awesome turn and they can wield the Sledgehammer like Thor and that’s worth it.

What we are basically doing there is allowing players to play more freely, which speeds up the game itself. Of course, you can use Adrenaline Rush also for some devastating new effects with shiny new weapons, but you won’t need to search for them...you will have them from the very beginning.

That was our next decision on how to speed up the game. We knew there should be new weapons in the expansion - for sure. The key was to give them to the players during the setup and yes, they are fully loaded...ready to rumble.

Some really powerful effects that you can find on these weapons require to pay Adrenaline Rush as well. So during the game you will move the tile on your players board probably more then once, depending on how far you want to go and what you are prepared to pay for your carnage or in collecting points…it depends how you look at it.

The Adrenaline Rush system and the new weapons which are available to the players from the beginning allows us to speed up the game significantly. It’s not just the game length…it can change the feel of the game as well. Now it’s like jumping into the mayhem and the action starts immediately. Adrenaline now feels like a furious battle, which was just paused, but when we say go, it’s there. You can pick some other weapons and it’s good idea to do it, but you will need to do it on the run.

If you will have the Team Play DLC and you will play the regular Deatchmatch game with it, you will probably be able to finish the game with six players in one hour. Of course, there is even more… did I mentioned each character has a special power? Let’s talk about that later. I’ll show you some very interesting twists. You can find my second note here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryle Cuff
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard you talk about this expansion on the boards alive podcast Peter. I've got team play on pre-order and can't wait to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m already drooling...zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Schmid
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds super exciting.
I was a little afraid that the game could go much longer with players but I'm really happy to hear that you were aware of this potetial issue.
I'm eager to read more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
msg tools
mbmbmb
Love this - thanks for sharing!

Really neat to see the behind-the-scenes work that went into making Adrenaline seem so obvious and simple.

The 3-5 player count kept me away initially, but now I can't wait.

Cheers!

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Mrosek
Germany
Hessdorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for the insight! I love the way you present it.
And for sure as heck you didn't bother me the slightest 😊
Keep em coming! 😎
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McCullough
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh.. played this at GenCon, didn't realize you could use the adrenaline ability multiple times! Nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Killops
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait to get my hands on a copy of this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
I REALLY like this idea. Anything to make the game run faster and give more options at the same time is a welcome addition in my book!

Question though: does the Adrenaline Rush tile get in the way of the death tracker on your sheet? In your second picture it looks like it would.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Caslava
Czech Republic
Kolin
flag msg tools
The picture with Adrenaline Rush tile is kind a extreme situation, someone let Sprog running around and do nasty stuff for a long time. It can happen, but as you can see, one more damage and he is gone. After respawn the Adrenaline Rush token is reset to the original position at the end of the track. Collision between Adrenaline Rush token and skulls on the death tracker is unlikely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
Zhan_Shi wrote:
The picture with Adrenaline Rush tile is kind a extreme situation, someone let Sprog running around and do nasty stuff for a long time. It can happen, but as you can see, one more damage and he is gone. After respawn the Adrenaline Rush token is reset to the original position at the end of the track. Collision between Adrenaline Rush token and skulls on the death tracker is unlikely.

Awesome, thanks for clarifying!

And so umm...when is this hitting retail?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Caslava
Czech Republic
Kolin
flag msg tools
We are in print right now and first copies will be available at Spiel Essen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Zhan_Shi wrote:
We are in print right now and first copies will be available at Spiel Essen.

Apart from the name of the weapons the game is still language independent, I assume?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Caslava
Czech Republic
Kolin
flag msg tools
Correct, it’s still language independent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KB13 KB13
msg tools
Sounds great.
Thanks for sharing and please do write more updates.
The game itself is already a big hit with several friends I game with (and myself) and any well thought out variation to it is welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Pires
Portugal
Viana do Castelo
flag msg tools
badge
This is a must have expansion!
 Thumb up
 tip