GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,203 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
55 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: BGG 2007 Rugby World Cup Comp-Entrants, Prize Pool & Updates rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: sports [+] [View All]
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Entries have now closed for this comp.

We have 24 contestants who put up a total of 70 GG.

The contestants (all entered all categories):

1. Spielfreak
2. nnf1
3. antiussentiment
4. Innocent Bystander
5. Paul Mackie
6. Ahiksking
7. Scalner
8. oi_you_nutter
9. Blademaster777
10. rooboomr
11. RichardV
12. dougadamsau
13. garyj
14. bestbandis
15. Ombwiri
16. ZirkvandenBerg
17. alisonj
18. bikini
19. jamesdavis
20. liga
21. Ferg
22. FezAZ
23. sevorges
24. Moviebuffs

The GeekGold per category:

Category 1: 35 GG
Category 2: 35 GG

Our first prize winner of 5GG for random entry is...Ombwiri! Congrats.

Also I would like to announce that our own tipping guru Andrew Muhling will be donating a prize of his game Go Forward Rugby to the overall winner of both categories. That will be the person who has got the highest number of points from both categories combined. Thanks Andrew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great start.

Les Blues crack once again. Makes a Briton proud!

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well an interesting first batch of games with most of the games being very exciting, although I fell asleep in the first half of the Irleand v Namibia game.

And what about those French? Boy oh boy, I hate a spoiling game but the Argentinians proved to be expert at it and it was exciting! And for the first time in a long time the forwards looked like they could go the whole 80 minutes, which does not bode well for other teams in that pool.

The aussies and kiwis looked on song with the later looking really dangerous. But the northern hemisphere teams looked very shaky-but plenty of time to get it right-I think.

So with the first batch of games over, and for a bit of fun, the standings are as follows

1 sevorges 22
2 bestbandis 21
3 rooboomr 21
4 Ferg 20
5 ZirkvandenBerg 20
6 Scalner 19
7 RichardV 19
8 dougadamsau 19
9 liga 17
10 Blademaster777 17
11 bikini 17
12 Ombwiri 15
13 Innocent Bysta 14
14 Paul Mackie 13
15 Spielfreak 12
16 FezAZ 12
17 oi_you_nutter 11
18 Ahiksking 10
19 alisonj 10
20 garyj 10
21 Moviebuffs 9
22 nnf1 8
23 jamesdavis 6
24 antiussentimen 6

Also please note I have created Microbadges for the Rugby world cup playing teams so you can now show your support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Brooks
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why thank you, I'm beginning to get the feeling that this will be the only thing I'll be winning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well every team has played at least one game and we are getting a feel for the 2nd tier nations capability. Tonga really played well and although I feel sorry for the Eagles the Tongans at last showed their mettle but how much drop ball was there!

If the Fiji/Japan game gave you heart palpatations-feel for the coaches. I don't know about you but I woke the family up by shouting "KICK IT OUT" after the whistle had blown to the Fijian players yet they kept going and going and they nearly lost! I think there was an extra 5 minutes played.

Italy looked disappointing against Romania and the Argentinians continue on their merry way although they met, at least in the first half, a wall of Georgians with nothing to lose and the heart as big as the Black Sea.

So interesting movement in the table with our kiwi loving Spielfriek and Innocent Bystander as well as our very own nutter shooting through the middle to the top of the table. And whereas everyone else has moved around the table my aussie compatriots at the bottom are stuck in the first gear.

1 Innocent Bysta 28
2 oi_you_nutter 24
3 Spielfreak 24
4 ZirkvandenBerg 24
5 rooboomr 23
6 sevorges 22
7 bestbandis 22
8 Ahiksking 21
9 Ferg 21
10 garyj 20
11 FezAZ 19
12 alisonj 18
13 Paul Mackie 17
14 bikini 14
15 liga 14
16 Ombwiri 12
17 Scalner 12
18 nnf1 12
19 dougadamsau 12
20 Blademaster777 10
21 RichardV 8
22 Moviebuffs 7
23 antiussentimen 6
24 jamesdavis 6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An interesting round of games and a lot of emotion and wonderful battles. I probably would never cheer for South Africa or England but seeing Jason Robinson leave the ground with a hammy really upset the mrs and I. He gave his all and really tried to lift England to achieve what they could have, but South Africa clearly dominated and look in good nick.

The less said about the All Blacks the better but I will say they let 13 points get by from a rugby minnow whereas SA shutout a powerhouse rugby country. I'd be worried if I was a kiwi fan right now.

Everyone is hailing Barnes as the saviour for Australia. Poor kid, he'll screw it for us against Fiji and we'll end up second in the group. Wales were so dissappointing and have got a way to go I think to ensuring second spot.

As I have mentioned previously, those Georgians are some Rugby country. They gave it to those Irish and if it wasn't for a tired forward having a kip they could have won. Who would have thought? I am a firm believer in having the minnow countries in the World Cup and this game assures me of my convictions.

Tonga surprised Samoa, although I never knew you could go into the ruck with your elbow first. France at last got into 3rd gear and with a backline beefier than a 24 hour abattoir they really can go far. Oh and Scotland the nation must be in total bliss over the month of September. Good luck to them.

Half way through the round robins and at this stage we have no idea except for our two consistent leaders. Also our bottom four punters, 3 of them aussies have moved up and must know something we don't. Longer term vision? Rugby experts? Who knows and to be frank by the look of them who cares but let's see how they pan out in the business end of the round robin.

Innocent By 20
oi_you_nutter 18
Ferg 18
alisonj 18
Spielfreak 18
rooboomr 17
RichardV 16
FezAZ 16
sevorges 16
bestbandis 16
garyj 16
Moviebuffs 14
ZirkvandenBerg 14
jamesdavis 10
Paul Mackie 9
Ahiksking 9
antiussentime 8
Scalner 8
dougadamsau 8
Ombwiri 7
nnf1 7
bikini 6
Blademaster777 6
liga 6
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All the best to all for the final games. We have a day off work tomorrow and since all my files are at work I will update the results Tuesday morning Australian EST.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was a very interesting round robin this world cup with some wonderful games. The 2nd and 3rd tier nations are really lifting their games with some very close matches that you would never expect. Can you say Georgia v Ireland? The highlights for me over these last few matches

Tonga coming oh so close to qualifying. They gave their all against the Boks and England
Japan tying with Canada at the death to register their first ever non loss and in doing so overtook them on the table.
Georgia registering their first win of the world cup. Look out for this team in the future. They will cause an upset or two along the way
Seeing Nicki Little lying on the ground, twisted, in pain, but with a peaceful contentment and a cheeky spark in his eye, knowing that he was out for the world cup but had helped his country qualify for the quarter finals.
Argentina playing to their full potential. There is a talk about destiny in the camp and Scotland better look out.
Ngwenya burning Habana, that's right you heard correctly someone gave Brian a three meter start, burned him and ran away from him to score

Since the lesser nations really fired up this year the amount of tries during the round robin, being 270, were much less than previous years. And therefore the order of merit is rumroll:

Innocent By 21
alisonj 21
oi_you_nutter 19
Ferg 19
sevorges 19
bestbandis 19
rooboomr 18
Spielfreak 18
RichardV 17
garyj 17
ZirkvandenBerg 17
FezAZ 16
Moviebuffs 15
Scalner 11
jamesdavis 11
dougadamsau 11
Paul Mackie 10
Ahiksking 10
bikini 9
antiussentime 9
liga 9
nnf1 8
Ombwiri 7
Blademaster777 7

Congrats to Stephen as the winner and to Alison, the only female AFAIK, who beat out nearly all the boys. GG will be handed out at the end of the tourney.

So with a few upsets, the points for the next category will be very interesting with no one a real clear favourite but with the high probabilty that the semis will be all Southern Hemisphere countries

Watch England down Australia now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John G
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BGG 2007 Rugby World Cup Comp-Entrants, Prize Pool & Upd
I feel pretty good about my first round picks considering the fact I'd never watched international rugby before (newcomer to RSA). I wish I could change my picks now though!

There are five of us with exactly the same picks, all destroyed by ARG's first night win over FRA. There are four (Ferg, sevorges, ZirkvandenBerg, Ahiksking) with the exact same picks that I think will likely win:

RSA, NZL, AUS, FRA
NZL, RSA
NZL

Their perfect set was also messed up on opening night, but have a good chance of going 6 for 7.

I wish I had Moviebuff's picks, then I could at least feel good about picking the Boks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
oh what a surprise, being beaten by the aussies

Quote:

1. Innocent By 21
2. alisonj 21
3. oi_you_nutter 19
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Tim you did real well. Although NZ could have been the 7th state of Australia if they voted the right way during the constitutional conventions, Stephen is actually a kiwi.

Why don't we just all agree on "oh what a surprise, being beaten by the antipodeans"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew
Australia
bayswater
western australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
he he.. my plan to not win my own prize seems to be comming along nicely. given hwo well som of the minows have played i think it's sad the woeld cup does not include a 7s style final for the 3rd team in each pool. portugal and georgia really impressed me with their effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew
Australia
bayswater
western australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nnf1 wrote:

Watch England down Australia now

i hate you needle..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
i was gob smacked when England beat the Aussies shake and then doubly so when Les Bleus beat the All Blacks surprise

England can still win this !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It still feels like a knife is stuck in my heart. We were outplyaed, outpsyched and outdone by a very well executed gameplan. Our front row needs to nude up and get in front of those mirrors and take a long hard look at themselves. And what is with the slow recycling of the ball? I thought we had a backline that could destroy other teams? Maybe not. And when can we get a consistant kicker? I have seen Mortlock do this before.

Enough BGG cathartic ranting. Well done to England. They deserved the win and played very well. I enjoyed the scrums, even though we were chewed up, stirred and spat out like a baseballers tobaccy. But I was slightly appeased by the passionate French (passion! Do you remember what that is Australia?) win over the all blacks. I mean England are our boggy team in the world cup but at least we are not chockers

Fiji were great against the Boks and I hope they continue to play the sort of rugby, what I call controlled flair, for a long time to come. And although we should hang our heads in shame as a group for not one of us picking Argentina, they comfortably go through against a brave Scottish side.

So the current table in category 2 is

1 FezAZ 3
2 rooboomr 2
3 bikini 2
4 Paul Mackie 2
5 antiussentime 2
6 Ombwiri 2
7 RichardV 2
8 Ahiksking 2
9 Scalner 2
10 Innocent Byst 2
11 jamesdavis 2
12 Moviebuffs 2
13 Ferg 2
14 nnf1 2
15 sevorges 2
16 dougadamsau 2
17 bestbandis 2
18 garyj 2
19 ZirkvandenBerg 2
20 oi_you_nutter 1
21 Blademaster777 1
22 liga 1
23 alisonj 1
24 Spielfreak 1

So FezAz has a one point lead which is heaps in this part of the comp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John G
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nnf1 wrote:
So FezAz has a one point lead which is heaps in this part of the comp.

Didn't FezAz also have AUS and NZL winning? Perhaps he changed his picks? I think we're pretty much all in the same sorry boat at this point, though I'm really liking jamesdavis' picks now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nnf1 wrote:
And when can we get a consistant kicker? I have seen Mortlock do this before.

I wouldn't beat up on Mortlock too much (for one he looks a big bugger) as I think there must have been poor kicking conditions - Johnny Wilkinson missed a hatfull as well. The scrum was your main problem. It was so poor it didn't allow Greegan to play, didn't give Barnes confidence. Giteau was anonymous. I hope the papers are giving your boys a hard time after all the big talk before the game.

Oh and a big thank you to Loti Tuqiri for saying we only had one world-class player. That must have fired up a lot of the England team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
I wouldn't beat up on Mortlock too much (for one he looks a big bugger) as I think there must have been poor kicking conditions - Johnny Wilkinson missed a hatfull as well.

Maybe Andy-but Johnny's kicking form (in the couple of international games back from injury) was not up to scratch understandably so I pleasantly gave him the benefit of the doubt

Quote:
The scrum was your main problem. It was so poor it didn't allow Greegan to play, didn't give Barnes confidence. Giteau was anonymous. I hope the papers are giving your boys a hard time after all the big talk before the game.

This is too true. I am going to give a call to some rugby coaches I know and see if they believe in game plans b, c, and d. I find that the ineffectiveness of teams to adapt and change plans by the so called great rugby minds on the field very frustrating.

Oh and I'm not ready to read the papers yet.

Quote:
Oh and a big thank you to Loti Tuqiri for saying we only had one world-class player. That must have fired up a lot of the England team.

I still think he's right we just have 15 school-class players. One thing is I don't understand the whole bagging teams before a game business. Let your Rugby do the talking. Between him and O'Neill mouthing off that's at least 5 points there and a couple of shiners.

Well Andy-enjoy the win. I remember when we went all the way to the final contrary to what the pundits thought and we got beat by a lone drop goal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nnf1 wrote:
andyl wrote:
I wouldn't beat up on Mortlock too much (for one he looks a big bugger) as I think there must have been poor kicking conditions - Johnny Wilkinson missed a hatfull as well.

Maybe Andy-but Johnny's kicking form (in the couple of international games back from injury) was not up to scratch understandably so I pleasantly gave him the benefit of the doubt

Considering he is just back from injury it has been reasonable although not up to top level kicking. However some of the misses from both of them were kicks that were reasonably easy even for a second-choice kicker.

Quote:
Well Andy-enjoy the win. I remember when we went all the way to the final contrary to what the pundits thought and we got beat by a lone drop goal.

Well no-one in England expects the rugby team to do well at the moment. England has been in a shambles for the past two years as far as international rugby is concerned. I guess the French game is a toss-up at the moment - with maybe the home advantage pushing it a bit to the French. Even if we get through it looks as though we face the Saffers and I can't see how we can completely forget the drubbing we took in the pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
Well no-one in England expects the rugby team to do well at the moment. England has been in a shambles for the past two years as far as international rugby is concerned. I guess the French game is a toss-up at the moment - with maybe the home advantage pushing it a bit to the French. Even if we get through it looks as though we face the Saffers and I can't see how we can completely forget the drubbing we took in the pool.

Have you, we, not learned our lecon? How can you, we, right off the Pumas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nnf1 wrote:
I remember when we went all the way to the final contrary to what the pundits thought and we got beat by a lone drop goal.

One drop goal and despite 6 scrum related penalties awarded to the Wallabies which four years on the referee has been unable (and unwilling) to justify. Mercifully the score eventually went the right way to make that game the most exciting rugby I've ever seen.

Until last Saturday. Yes Jonny's kicking was poor but that just emphasises how well the rest of the team performed considering the jibes that we only have 1 world class player

Australia must learn not to wind the England team up pre-match. It just makes them play like men possessed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it's 2003 all over again, although this time the English will feel what it's like for Australia to be pipped at the post.

A team lambasted, ridiculed and nearly put to an early death by Tonga are now in the final. Well done England.

And brave oh brave Pumas, why did you change your game plan. For a minute there I thought they might just come back but then WOOSHKA the Boks smash them in a scoreline that I do not think reflects the game. And bully for the boys that after a game of niggle and Umanga slaps they shake hands and hug each other. My son was asking why the players were cuddling each other after the game. Why indeed son, never happened in my day.

So England and South Africa hey. Not many people tipped England getting to the final. So the current standings are

1 FezAZ 4
2 bikini 3
3 Ahiksking 3
4 jamesdavis 3
5 Moviebuffs 3
6 Ferg 3
7 sevorges 3
8 ZirkvandenBerg 3
9 rooboomr 2
10 Paul Mackie 2
11 antiussentimen 2
12 Ombwiri 2
13 RichardV 2
14 oi_you_nutter 2
15 Scalner 2
16 Innocent Bysta 2
17 nnf1 2
18 liga 2
19 dougadamsau 2
20 bestbandis 2
21 Spielfreak 2
22 garyj 2
23 Blademaster777 1
24 alisonj 1

Well FezAZ has peeked like the Argentinians and would be hoping for an English win to get a taste of that sweet sweet geekgold. But a Boks win will put bikini
into 1st place and James in third. But an English win will see the sole England tipper oi_you_nutter leap frog (pun intended) straight into third.

Enjoy the final.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
nnf1 wrote:

....But an English win will see the sole England tipper oi_you_nutter leap frog (pun intended) straight into third.

Enjoy the final.

i wanted an England v Pumas final, the Argies have done so well that a trip to the final would do a game a world of good (bad pun), and also England would be in with a better chance of winning than against the Boks surprise

after looking back over the other contestants choices, there are a lot of Springbok fans, the funny thing is that only place i could watch the match live is in a South African pub, called the Springbok !

that must be a GOOD omen devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolute respect to Tim for keeping the faith. I have had to drown my sorrows far too often in the Scrum bar in Twickenham over the last 4 years and never dreamed we could have got this far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oi_you_nutter wrote:
the funny thing is that only place i could watch the match live is in a South African pub, called the Springbok !

that must be a GOOD omen devil

So are you a man or a mouse?-let me suggest you go with a few mates

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.