Subject: What about the track? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
john m
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The tracks that go around some of the boards, like Ticket to Ride. I know I seen them in other games. Is that unique to a specific company or is that something that is "borrowed" a lot between game makers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I'm guessing you're pretty new to boardgaming, eh?

I'll answer your question with a similar question:

The cards that have pictures and information in some games, like Ticket to Ride. I know I have seen them in other games. Is that unique to a specific company or is that something that is "borrowed" a lot between game makers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't get me started about those dice with those pips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john m
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I guess I am still pretty new. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
johnnyLikesGames wrote:
Yeah, I guess I am still pretty new. laugh

I envy your new sense of wonder. I'm all old and jaded about boardgames. (OK, not really, but still, there's nothing like the sense of discovery of an exciting new hobby.) Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh... you mean the Kramerleiste. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zopper Alf
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The track is called the "Kramerleiste" named after it's inventor, game designer W. Kramer. He never claimed it or protected the rights to it and so a lot of new games uses this way to keep track of the score.
See also here: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kramerleiste (in german) or do a google search for "Kramerleiste".

Oh and btw: this also shows that the original question isn't "stupid" or unnecessary. I am pretty sure other companies would've tried to "protect" their ideas.

Ciao,
Simon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zopper-Alf wrote:
Oh and btw: this also shows that the original question isn't "stupid" or unnecessary. I am pretty sure other companies would've tried to "protect" their ideas.

You mean certain large software monopolies, perhaps. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zopper Alf
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesbook wrote:
Zopper-Alf wrote:

You mean certain large software monopolies, perhaps. goo

Why do you assume that Derek? For example: there has been a pretty huge battle between daVinci games and another german publisher (can't remember the name ). The result was that daVinci is named "dvgames" in germany now and that the game is called Maestro Leonardo and not Leonardo DaVinci. (btw. another example is the ongoing Age of Steam battle).

Why should the boardgaming industry be any 'better' than anything else...

Ciao,
Simon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been a boardgamer for like 3 years now and I didn't know that a VP track was Kramer's invention. By the time I got into games, it was a pretty common thing, so I never thought much of it. I'm glad you asked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zopper Alf
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's exactly my point Matt
I found the answer good as well and it seems like not all know about the track - and indeed it isn't "just another part of every game".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Alan Henning
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to write an English version of the Wikipedia article, but Google only has 35 mentions of the word, so it is not a common term at all.

35 - Kramerleist
86 - victory point track
848 - VP track*

*Only including pages mentioning "game", as without it there were a lot of false hits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken K
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
The track is called the "Kramerleiste" named after it's inventor, game designer W. Kramer. He never claimed it or protected the rights to it and so a lot of new games uses this way to keep track of the score.
See also here: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kramerleiste (in german) or do a google search for "Kramerleiste".

Ciao,
Simon

Wow, I thought sure this was some sort of noob-bait BS, so I looked it up. It really IS called a Kramerleiste!

I have a freind who has had limited success at parties telling people that "gullible" was a figure of speech not actually found in the dictionary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.