Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Panamax» Forums » General

Subject: 3D Printed Panamax Ships rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Burgess
United States
Cedar Hills
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I took some inspiration from some 3D Printed ships I saw online and finally created my own versions. These are printed in two colors (some of them 3 - the cruise ships). They hold the dice nicely and prevent accidentally knocking them off the cardboard versions.







16 
 Thumb up
2.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How much? arrrh
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Burgess
United States
Cedar Hills
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I put them in my shop here (https://www.etsy.com/listing/643955323/panamax-ships-24-ship...) for $19.43
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan P
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Woooo nice! Just when I completed my own 3d prints and finished painting them (to be announced soon on bgg). Mine aren't as professional so will be as free access to my 3d files.

But excellent work here and much more affordable!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Lavender
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
Klaatu barada nikto.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect! I placed an order this morning. Thanks for making these available.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan P
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I didn't want to create another thread about 3d printed boats but let me know if I should separate it.

So, here are the scad/stl files for my much simpler die holders for Panamax: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3102122



Anyone with access to a 3d printer can customize them or print them. Let me know what you think!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Burgess
United States
Cedar Hills
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Those will work too. For a minute I thought the cardboard slid into them. But these will hold those pesky dice in place as well. Good job!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Outstanding!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Wiese
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered a set of these and just got them in the mail. These things are great. They fit the dice well, have nice details, and seem very sturdy. Now I have to get this game back to the table so I can push these around.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh EC

Naperville
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This might be crazy, but you could sell the STLs as well. That actually would be better for me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Burgess
United States
Cedar Hills
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
derim wrote:
This might be crazy, but you could sell the STLs as well. That actually would be better for me.

That would be equivalent to The Broken Token releasing their laser cutting files. I'm not sure how that would make sense.

That being said, I would love to have the ability to directly print to someone's 3D Printer over the internet. No files are stored, the cost is drastically reduced (since there are no shipping/filament/energy costs). It would print on the remote machine and be done. It could be monitored through a webcam.

If there was a way to do that... wow! That would be awesome!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh EC

Naperville
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cdburgess wrote:
That would be equivalent to The Broken Token releasing their laser cutting files. I'm not sure how that would make sense.

You're not wrong, but it's actually a standard practice in parts of the 3D printing world. It's not like everyone has a laser cutter, but 3D printers are popping up everywhere. There were even several Kickstarters that offered STLs as rewards.

Craft patterns have also been offered for years (cross stitch, embroidery, etc). I'd be happy to pay for foamcore or balsa insert design files as well, for example.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shropshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cdburgess wrote:
I took some inspiration from some 3D Printed ships I saw online and finally created my own versions. These are printed in two colors (some of them 3 - the cruise ships). They hold the dice nicely and prevent accidentally knocking them off the cardboard versions.









Thanks Chuck. Just received my package this morning in the uk. They are beautiful. I am chuffed!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Burgess
United States
Cedar Hills
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so glad you like them! They are some of my favorite components to print. I was able to play with my set last weekend at SaltCon.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shropshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I am probably thick but how do you tell which battleships are from which country? I had to keep the card ones as reference. I know there is probably a simple explanation that I have overlooked. It is so nice not worrying about knocking the dice across the table.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Burgess
United States
Cedar Hills
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
diceman56 wrote:
I know I am probably thick but how do you tell which battleships are from which country? I had to keep the card ones as reference. I know there is probably a simple explanation that I have overlooked. It is so nice not worrying about knocking the dice across the table.

The banner across the bottom matches the color of the country flag... sort of. For example, the China ship is red, the US West has a black bottom and the US East has a white bottom. So while it's not exactly a "flag match" if you look at the country icons, it will make sense.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any additional questions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shropshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cdburgess wrote:
diceman56 wrote:
I know I am probably thick but how do you tell which battleships are from which country? I had to keep the card ones as reference. I know there is probably a simple explanation that I have overlooked. It is so nice not worrying about knocking the dice across the table.

The banner across the bottom matches the color of the country flag... sort of. For example, the China ship is red, the US West has a black bottom and the US East has a white bottom. So while it's not exactly a "flag match" if you look at the country icons, it will make sense.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thats brilliant thanks Chuck.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls