5 Posts

Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Sleeving & Storing Talisman + expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Taylor Sandahl
msg tools
Officially my first post on BGG!

A two part question..with possible subparts.

1. I love sleeving most of my standard board game cards, but sometimes they take up soooo much extra space. Now, having Talisman, 4 of its expansions and no universal storage inserts for the box, I'm wondering if it's worth sleeving any/all of Talisman's cards? I'm trying to think of it from aspects such as storage space and general deck height & stability.

2. On the topic of box inserts, are there any recommended inserts or separate storage unitels for Talisman and any number of its expansions? I've only ever bought Broken Token inserts and they're wonderful, but sadly they have no products for Talisman. I hate resorting to rubberbanding just for the sake of keeping the cards from scattering around the box.

Thanks for your inputs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taysand wrote:
Officially my first post on BGG!

Welcome!

Taysand wrote:
1. I love sleeving most of my standard board game cards, but sometimes they take up soooo much extra space. Now, having Talisman, 4 of its expansions and no universal storage inserts for the box, I'm wondering if it's worth sleeving any/all of Talisman's cards? I'm trying to think of it from aspects such as storage space and general deck height & stability.

My Talisman (a complete FFG 4E set) is completely sleeved, including the character cards. i generally prefer thick sleeves, but i wouldn't really want them for this game because of the space and stacking problems. With thin (a.k.a. "penny") sleeves, Talisman still stores easily, as we'll demonstrate in answering your next question...

Taysand wrote:
2. On the topic of box inserts, are there any recommended inserts or separate storage unitels for Talisman and any number of its expansions? I've only ever bought Broken Token inserts and they're wonderful, but sadly they have no products for Talisman. I hate resorting to rubberbanding just for the sake of keeping the cards from scattering around the box.

Don't use rubber bands - those will likely bend the edges of your cards at some point. Here's a card trivial card storage solution using stuff you already have:

That is one of the big-box expansions (i think it's the Highlands) with the included inlay flipped over and couple "swim lanes" added using spare cardboard. The separators are also spare cardboard. That's all of the small-sized cards for all of the expansions, sleeved using thin sleeves. My characters cards are stored in a separate (much smaller) box.

You can use that approach for a partial set, just fill in any empty space with crunched-up paper or (nicer) kitchen sponges (my local 1-Euro shop carries them in packs of 12 or 16 per Euro, and they're great for taking up slack space in card storage boxes).

My own personal sleeving recommendation (what i use) is docsmagic.de-brand sleeves:

https://www.docsmagic.de/100-Docsmagicde-Mini-American-Board...

They also make thick sleeves, which cost exactly twice as much but still cost only a fraction of FFG-brand sleeves:

http://www.docsmagic.de/50-Docsmagicde-Premium-Mini-American...

They have a fantastic price and are of high quality (i've used literally tens of thousands of that brand of sleeve over the past 3 years, starting (incidentally) with Talisman). The shipping costs are not bad if you're in Europe, but it would surprise me greatly if there's not an equivalent "FFG clone" brand in the States (it's not clear which region you're in).

FWIW, i don't recommend Mayday brand sleeves unless you've got no other alternative - i've had no end of grief with those, primarily due to inconsistent sleeve sizes.

The company smiling-monster.com has Talisman character card sleeves (they also work perfectly for Eldritch Horror characters), but their site is currently down for maintenance, so i can't provide a link. (When they're back online, a search for "talisman" should find the sleeves.)

"The stack height problem" is quite real with Talisman, whether using sleeves or not. To work around that i made, using cardboard/cardstock i had laying around the house, holders like these:

PS: i "really would", just for the sake of pedanticness, like to re-sleeve my Talisman with thick sleeves, but (A) it would require expanding the storage solution to include two boxes and (B) the idea of re-sleeving 1400+ cards isn't all that appealing. Also, the Adventure Card deck would likely be a meter tall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have struggled with this same question, and I finally decided that the time and the expense that it would take to sleeve the cards is probably not worth it to me. I love Talisman, but being on a strict budget makes it very tough, and a rarity, to buy new games, much less additional gaming accessories. If such a time comes that I have to then I will do so, but since it's impossible to riffle shuffle those tiny cards anyway, it seems unlikely to me that they will be damaged in shuffling, and I keep drinks and food away from my games. To this point, the only game that I have sleeved is King of Tokyo and that is because one card did get a bit damaged and I had to sleeve it to prevent additional damamge.

I have been trying to think, myself, about storage solutions though, and had toyed with trying to make one of my own out of foam core, but I just haven't undertaken the task yet. Someone told me about an art supply box that can be bought at Hobby Lobby that will supposedly hold all of the cards and boards comfortably, and as soon as I have the money, I'm going to try that out with some foam core.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy Mayday sleeves on sale. a pack of 100 for less than $3, perhaps less than $2 & they are on sale often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DomaGB wrote:
Buy Mayday sleeves on sale. a pack of 100 for less than $3, perhaps less than $2 & they are on sale often.

@OP: if you're in Europe, see the links i included in my response: that brand is 99 cents per hundred and qualitatively better than i've ever experienced with Mayday (100% consistent sizing) .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls