Pierre-Luc Thiffault
Canada
St-Laurent
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico user review by dwarf.

Puerto Rico is a game from Rio Grande. One of the best in the last few years. I've played Puerto Rico many times. Am always happy when Puerto Rico hits the table.

It's a funny story.

When I first heard of Puerto Rico, it was from an Inquest Gamer magazine. I don't recall the issue. I would need to check it out.

When I first mentioned Puerto Rico to my cousin, he told me that he heard some good on Puerto Rico. When he told me why, I mentioned that Puerto Rico was the game of the year for 2002. He asked me to check it out and I did.

Shortly after, I had bought a copy of Puerto Rico. This game says 3-5 players. So my cousin, brother and me decided to give it a try.

As I recall we read about half of the rulebook. So, for three people playing this game for the first time ever, we did some mistakes.

For example, whenever the craftman's was played, we each took a barrel for every plantation which had a colonist on it,regardless if we had a building that did the production. It was so funny. laugh

We did a few others things that we didn't suppose to do. It was when we refered to the rulebook for details that we discover the mistakes we did. As I recalled it was midnight when we tryed it out. Not sure if we did a complete game or just stop once we realize our mistakes. Nevertheless, we had a blast playing Puerto Rico for the first time.

With the proper ruling this time, we decided to start a second game, with the rules more familiar to us and the different roles.

The second time around, it went smoother and faster. We had alot of fun with this game. I am glad today that this game is part of my game collection.

Since then, I've read the rulesbook a few times, cover to cover. laugh laugh

We played maybe a dozen times since we tried it for the for time.

One last thing. Am not sure if it just me or just imaging this or not, but the last 2-3 games I've played, I felt that I had abit less fun because I noticed that the start of the game is basically the same. I know that it can be different a bit if you don't always play with the same people but still.

An example would be the builder. The one who picks the builder first always takes either the construction hut or the hospice. We believe these two are the best violet buildings in the game. So with one down, it's the rush for the others. Then, there would be a good chance the the mayor went next (if didn't already) to actived these buildings.

I just feel that the first times we played, we had the best fun ever. Now the fun is a bit reduced because it's more or less the same.

Maybe that's why Puerto Rico hasn't been on the table as often lately. I don't know.

I would like to hear comments about this review if you experience something familiar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sorbello
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Re:Quick Comments
dwarf (#35646),
I'm still new to the game so I'm still in that "wow" phase! laugh
But it seesm like there's different strats that work maybe you need to look for a new one or find some different players.
I find if a game gets to lag i like to try out different strats to see if thay are stronger. Especially when I lose!
Good article btw!
lexen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Munoz
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
dwarf (#35646),

I think the reason you are starting to get bored with the game may be because you are playing with the same players each time. It sounds like your group has developed a few strategies which it sees as "winning", and has not really branched out yet.

I would suggest either playing online or with some new players for a while to see what other strategies people use, or deliberately change your own game just to see what happens (i.e. is there a building that your group thinks is worthless? If so, buy it and try to develop a strategy that works with it!)

I think you'll find that the game is deep enough to keep coming back to the table.

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Maloney
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dwarf (#35646),
There are many, and I mean MANY, people who would disagree with your contention that Contruction Hut and Hospice are the two best violet buildings in the game. I think you'll find that as you expand your play, you'll discover this on your own.
Money, you see, is VERY important in the early stages of the game, becomes less important in the middle and takes a definite back seat to VPs near the end. This, I think dictates other violet building choices. In the games I've played against experienced players, Construction Hut happens once in a while, Hacienda rarely and Small Market, Small Warehouse, much more frequently. In the 200+ games I've played of this, I've found that the early scramble is for Small Market. Then, Factory, Harbor, and Wharf. There are other buildings that people utilize to win, but I'd venture to say that a statistical analysis of every game of this played would turn up those four WAY ahead of either Construction Hut or Hacienda.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sample
United States
Pelham
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Bright, brilliant colors are to be seen everywhere, the stones and pigments undimmed by the passage of decades. The floor of the corridor is a colorful mosaic of stone, with a distinct, winding path of red tiles about 2' wide.
mbmbmbmbmb
dwarf (#35646),

I would have to echo Skip's comments on a lot of things. True, the beginning does seem to be similar in most games, but I think that it really does branch out from there pretty quickly. I have only played the game about 50 times, but I have had the luxury of playing it with different people almost every time (I play on BSW).

You should join us on BSW (www.brettspielwelt.com) for a few games to see how different it can be sometimes. I am sure that you have read the bulk of the articles on this site all ready, but there are some good articles about early strategy and tactics.

Happy gaming! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, its rare that the small markets wont go out in the first build phase, and usually even the first two builds of the first build phase!

Early emphasis should be on production and income.

Buildings like small market and production buildings for your goods, then things like Factory, Harbor, Warehouse, and to a lesser extent, Large Market and Wharf. Then the large buildings later in the game.

Hospice is very bad. Its not as bad in 5 player, but otherwise it should never be bought early in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Luc Thiffault
Canada
St-Laurent
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffmunoz (#35750),

jeff

I think that couse be it. Same group of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Luc Thiffault
Canada
St-Laurent
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dwarf (#36333),

I guest opinion's differ. When I am going to play this next time, I'll try something. Recall in one game I didn't have contruction hut and hospice and won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heinz Kiosk
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pierre,

Opinions may differ, and some opinions are more valid than others. My opinion is that you are right to take the advice of this group to look for better early buys than hospice and construction hut. Novice players frequently find these buildings very attractive. Skilled players with high winning percentages in online play rarely buy them. Hospice is possibly the worst building in the game, though university may run it close.

There is a recent thread with a lot of excellent reasonably condensed advice.

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Luc Thiffault
Canada
St-Laurent
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tom.mcclelland (#36338),

Thank you Heinz. I would keep that in mind. I will try other possiblities next time the game is out on the table. Sorry for the late reply. Not used to checking if I got a reply in my articles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.