Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, not sure if this is a compliant, but just wondering why I can see amazon advertising at the top of threads when I have advertising turned off.

Is this a weasel-way to get around the users paying not to see adverts option or is there another box I need to tick?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you post a screenshot showing the ad you are referring to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you checked your settings?

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekaccount/edit/adblock
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Can you post a screenshot showing the ad you are referring to?

Hi Octavian,

Below are a couple of examples. The below circled in red does not always appear on all threads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oriecat wrote:

Hi Oriecat,

That's it! Thanks for pointing this out to me.

Apologies Octavian. I've not ticked all boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not start off by assuming the best of people?

You could have posted a thread in the 'BGG Help & How To' forum asking why you're seeing advertising and how you can remove it. And your problem would have been solved easily enough. It would have been civil and no one would have ever thought twice about your polite inquiry.

Instead you assumed the worst, made a complaint instead of an inquiry, and then indirectly accused people of "weaseling around" and trying to take advantage of you... and ended up with a bit of egg on your face when it turned out that the issue was your settings were incorrectly set.

Waiting to suss out the situation doesn't take any of your options off the table. You can always invoke your anger later on if it is called for... but waiting until you're sure it is called for is just a good idea. Jumping to assumptions and making accusations is something you can't undo once done and doesn't look so great if it turns out you're wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Why not start off by assuming the best of people?

You could have posted a thread in the 'BGG Help & How To' forum asking why you're seeing advertising and how you can remove it. And your problem would have been solved easily enough. It would have been civil and no one would have ever thought twice about your polite inquiry.

Instead you assumed the worst, made a complaint instead of an inquiry, and then indirectly accused people of "weaseling around" and trying to take advantage of you... and ended up with a bit of egg on your face when it turned out that the issue was your settings were incorrectly set.

Waiting to suss out the situation doesn't take any of your options off the table. You can always invoke your anger later on if it is called for... but waiting until you're sure it is called for is just a good idea. Jumping to assumptions and making accusations is something you can't undo once done and doesn't look so great if it turns out you're wrong.

But what else would people do on the internet? Next thing you know you will expect people to be polite and civil?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh...I don't think the OP post was that negative. I'm just glad we were able to get it worked out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .
Iceland
Reykjavík
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Eh...I don't think the OP post was that negative. I'm just glad we were able to get it worked out.

It's the complaint department. The place people come to in order to complain about posting valid questions in the wrong forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies to all.

Any ill will garnered from my OP was not intended. "Weasel" was a bad choice of descriptive and was typed (before coffee) with Amazon in mind, not BGG. And yes Bryan, this being Amazon, I do not expect the best. In general, am willing to take any amount of egg if it results in a problem being fixed.

It is good members jump to the defence of the BGG, though mis-reading intent within the internet is apparently not restricted to myself.

As to this choice of forum? I picked the most obvious (to me anyway) forum option. I did think that the most likely cause of the issue was myself - an unticked box.

Again, Thank you to Oriecat and Octavian in confirming I am the cause of my troubles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damjon wrote:
Apologies to all.

Any ill will garnered from my OP was not intended. "Weasel" was a bad choice of descriptive and was typed (before coffee) with Amazon in mind, not BGG. And yes Bryan, this being Amazon, I do not expect the best. In general, am willing to take any amount of egg if it results in a problem being fixed.

It is good members jump to the defence of the BGG, though mis-reading intent within the internet is apparently not restricted to myself.

As to this choice of forum? I picked the most obvious (to me anyway) forum option. I did think that the most likely cause of the issue was myself - an unticked box.

Again, Thank you to Oriecat and Octavian in confirming I am the cause of my troubles.

I would like to complain that this reply is far too humble, polite, and conciliatory, and not entertaining in the least. You’re not going to get any good forum fights going at this rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Damjon wrote:

That's confusing to me... if I think I'm doing something wrong and want to know how to fix it, I'd post in a question/how-to forum rather than a complaint forum.

But all's well that ends well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
Damjon wrote:
Apologies to all.

I would like to complain that this reply is far too humble, polite, and conciliatory, and not entertaining in the least. You’re not going to get any good forum fights going at this rate.
He did get that "mis-reading intent" jab in there though. I mean, yes... it's a fairly forceless comeback, but at least he tried. We should give him points for effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:

Ah, sorry. After apologising for pretty much everything negative in this thread I don’t really have a leg to stand on.

If you’ve had a hard day, or just feel the need to argue, throw in a random niggle and we can work something out. I warn you, I resort to Monty pythonisms under pressure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Damjon wrote:

That's confusing to me... if I think I'm doing something wrong and want to know how to fix it, I'd post in a question/how-to forum rather than a complaint forum.

Meh, I made a mistake and apologised for it. Not much else I can do.

russ wrote:

Damn right it has. My mistake has led me to discover a whole BGG sub-culture residing within the Complaints Forum - a place I'd not ventured to before.

I am now subscribed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Damjon wrote:
russ wrote:

Damn right it has. My mistake has led me to discover a whole BGG sub-culture residing within the Complaints Forum - a place I'd not ventured to before.

I am now subscribed.

GOTCHA!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Also, make sure you ask someone about the leader-board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Damjon wrote:
russ wrote:

I am now subscribed.

I wonder how many little subcultures there are scattered around BGG. An internet anthropologist could probably write a whole book documenting them all and their various little local customs and traditions etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Damjon wrote:
russ wrote:

I am now subscribed.

I wonder how many little subcultures there are scattered around BGG. An internet anthropologist could probably write a whole book documenting them all and their various little local customs and traditions etc...

Just ask anyone on the Anthropology sub-board............
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
russ wrote:
Damjon wrote:
russ wrote:

I am now subscribed.

I can think of at least a dozen very distinct cultures on BGG. They do of course have some population overlap, as do all networks (and that's how I'm visualising this right now), but they tend to be surprisingly discrete given that they are all chunks of the one web site. Separate behaviours have arisen, and you can see users who frequent different areas enough to absorb the culture of those areas behave accordingly in each area.

Chit Chat
RSP
Complaints
Feel The Love
Village Square
Rainbow
Women & Gaming
Wargames
Geekquestions
Geekmod
Hot Deals
Design

Of course there will be more that I don't know of or can't bring to mind right now.

But those are just the cultures that surround the general forums (plus a couple of oddities). Guilds form a world of their own (and there are over 3000 of them) which can tend to be invisible to outsiders, and then you have the sub-forums of specific games (at least when they become popular enough to qualify as life-style games, like X-Wing).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
russ wrote:
Damjon wrote:
russ wrote:

I am now subscribed.

I can think of at least a dozen very distinct cultures on BGG. They do of course have some population overlap, as do all networks (and that's how I'm visualising this right now), but they tend to be surprisingly discrete given that they are all chunks of the one web site. Separate behaviours have arisen, and you can see users who frequent different areas enough to absorb the culture of those areas behave accordingly in each area.

Chit Chat
RSP
Complaints
Feel The Love
Village Square
Rainbow
Women & Gaming
Wargames
Geekquestions
Geekmod
Hot Deals
Design

Of course there will be more that I don't know of or can't bring to mind right now.

But those are just the cultures that surround the general forums (plus a couple of oddities). Guilds form a world of their own (and there are over 3000 of them) which can tend to be invisible to outsiders, and then you have the sub-forums of specific games (at least when they become popular enough to qualify as life-style games, like X-Wing).

I demand a Venn diagram!

EDIT: Also, another very important sub-culture: people subscribed to Octavian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That link has gotten me to buy four times already!

Pete (is an advertiser's dream)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
... Guilds form a world of their own (and there are over 3000 of them) ...

Most of those guilds aren't active/substantial, though. I haven't counted, but I'd guess more like 30 guilds, and surely no more than 300, are of significant size and sustained activity to really have/be a 'culture'. A couple of the major ones I'm familiar with are thrifters (where most activity is in Geeklists, not the guild forum) and the 1-player guild.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:

What’s the leader-board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Damjon wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:

What’s the leader-board?

Well, that depends on whether or not you embrace the culture that has emerged in the Complaint Department...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.