GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,439 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Where to buy games FLGS or book chainstore? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Turfrey
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well here I am on the horns of a small dilemma. Where should I recommend the new folks at work who have just got into gaming buy their latest 'Euro' fix.

FLGS in Nottingham (UK) or Waterstones?

FLGS - well it is what it says and we should support them all right? Well yep but it hardly ever has decent stock. Oh so I can buy as many game expansions as I would like but not the base games? Ooooh thanks, very useful. "Can I order the games?" "Yes but we get a delivery once every 2 weeks and we can't guarantee that the game you want will come." Maybe the guy didn't understand what 'ordering' a game meant .

Waterstones - Big UK bookstore chain that refreshignly now sells Settlers, TtR (and other Days of Wonder titles), Carcassonne, PR and even Caylus. Brilliant thinks me - euro games now getting into the mainstream shops can only be good.

So which to go for?

FLGS with very poor service

or

Promote the euro games in the mainstream in the hope that larger games sales means that more people will get to see those games = more games sales = more money for great designers = more great games coming everyones way?

tbh it just frustrates me when your FLGS can be that short sighted about a hobby that helps to pay their bills. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K K
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell people its available at both places.
They'll choose whichever is better for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Point them to wherever they can get the games they like / want. Who cares whether it's a "book" store or a "game" store? You're trying to support people who sell better boardgames, not just trying to support any old mom & pop shop just for the sake of it. If you can find the games you want better at the bookstore than at the "game"store, go to the bookstore. Don't feel bad about it. You're still supporting the right stuff: Getting better games out into the marketplace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.