Barry Zimmerman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
Holy Terror
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have any ideas for a campaign system?
Also, we've been playing "giant" games with four boards and more than the usual custom heroes. Only done a couple so I don't have any good thoughts on it yet other than it's alot of fun having such a large area. Anyone else tried this or have thoughts pro or con?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Estes
United States
La Vergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried a couple of games on multiple boards but ultimately decided that we preferred single-board games. It's really pretty amazing how expansive those 64 spaces seem in a game of Capes & Cowls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Zimmerman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
Holy Terror
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What didn't you like about multiple boards? We're only using them when we start using 6+ characters a side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think when you consider the movement rates, ranged attacks, and the game timer, that multiple boards isn't the best idea. Sure, when you try to field larger teams the small board gets a bit crowded, but then the game scale is at least consistent. If you want to field larger teams, here's an idea to consider. Set up multiple objectives, sort of like all of those adventures with the Grandmaster. Have each player draft a team of 9 characters. Then they secretly make three sub-teams of three. Then play the games one at a time and see who wins 2 out of 3 or play all three games at once if you can handle it! I think that's a better solution for those who want to play with larger Avengers style teams without throwing off any of the game balance issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Zimmerman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
Holy Terror
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What if you say "open space" refers to spaces up to a maximum of 7 spaces away? Or you add 1 to the defense of someone who is attacked from more than 7 spaces away?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Zimmerman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
Holy Terror
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thought (not play tested just random thoughts at this point):
Knockback: If your attack total is 2 or more than your opponents defense total they are "knockbacked" 1 square in the direction opposite of the attack. If knocked off a roof or into an object space take one extra POW. If knocked into a wall, roof edge (from the ground), or tree, stay in your starting square but take an extra POW. If knockback would take you into another character no knockback is taken.

OR
Knockback: Anytime you are hit roll one die + the difference between your attackers attack total and your defense total. If the result is 6 or more you are "knockbacked" 1 square in the direction opposite of the attack. If knocked off a roof or into an object space take one extra POW. If knocked into a wall, roof edge (from the ground), or tree, stay in your starting square but take an extra POW. If knockback would take you into another character no knockback is taken.

I think I like the second option. It adds more dice rolling but the idea is to give another layer of strategy and give a way to give a bit of disadvantage to people just camping on 4 spaces. Gives it a slight risk and makes what direction you attack people from important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Estes
United States
La Vergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, but knockback is already a character-specific (Golden Rocket's Human Missile) aspect of the system. Attaching the power as a tag-along effect to all other characters would not only diminish the unique appeal of the Golden Rocket, but could also make for an extremely chaotic and fiddly game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Knockback is very much a superhero battle characteristic, but it becomes a problem with this abstract system. When you have people like Diablo Azul who make it a very bad idea to be on a certain color, knockback seriously increases the value of these characters. As much as I'd like to visualize someone getting knocked through a wall, it's sadly something that doesn't work here.

Some more thoughts on multi-board problems :

Blink becomes a lot better.
Anyone who only gets a bonus after travelling a certain distance gets a lot better.
Time Meister's ability to send you back to your starting area becomes a lot better.

So much of the game takes into consideration the restrictions on the board's size that you really have to re-work more than you think to keep things even.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Zimmerman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
Holy Terror
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good points. I think custom, "advanced", rules would, like custom characters, only be used outside the official game. The official game is just too well balanced and thought out to try messing with.
I'm thinking these are rules more suited to just custom characters and games (see some of the DC Heroes I posted in the files.)
Although, as some have stated elsewhere, this game has certain characters that sure seem to be more powerful than others and it's just a part of the game to know they're coming at you or who to take against them. For my custom characters, for example, I know Superman is far more powerful than other character so if you're playing him you want an equivelent character (Captain Atom, Doomsday) or characters specifically designed to neutralize him (Batman, Luthor).
I'm also trying to figure out a way to do a point system which would balance things out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I worked out formulas for converting Heroclix to C&C and you could just as easily make a formula for converting the point value too. It probably would be a good idea for conversions. I put all of my conversons on hold though once I realized that every character I converted was really just a version of a regular C&C character (or vice versa). Sure, the Heroclix have more visual appeal and the conversions would be an easier sell when convincing others to play, but I'll probably just stick with the regular C&C cast until I get totally sick of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
Knockback is very much a superhero battle characteristic, but it becomes a problem with this abstract system. When you have people like Diablo Azul who make it a very bad idea to be on a certain color, knockback seriously increases the value of these characters. As much as I'd like to visualize someone getting knocked through a wall, it's sadly something that doesn't work here.

Some more thoughts on multi-board problems :

Blink becomes a lot better.
Anyone who only gets a bonus after travelling a certain distance gets a lot better.
Time Meister's ability to send you back to your starting area becomes a lot better.

So much of the game takes into consideration the restrictions on the board's size that you really have to re-work more than you think to keep things even.

I haven't tried multi-boards or even had much of a desire to, but two (or more) boards where victory on any one board equals victory in the game seems like it might work. Travel between boards would only be allowed by characters with flight or speed>10, and they'd have to sit out a round to get there. (Plus they'd have to both leave from and arrive in their starting zones.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.