Root» Forums » Strategy

Subject: what is your birds fav starting decree? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pedro Sequeira
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, the most experienced player suggested that birds start with the despot leader, mostly because of the *wilds* in move and build which you kind of need to do early i guess

I decided to go with charismatic, because I had a wild to go in move, and because filling the maps with birds sounded like a good plan to be able to carry on even after an early turmoil

I got another card on recruit, matching the start area, and proceeded to get 4 birds a turn until I went in turmoil a few rounds later with almost all the birds on the board

After that I went with despot for additional points to win the game

What is your most used 1st leader? And second?

It was just my first time playing the birds, but the other 2 didnt seem nearly as good for either 1st or 2nd leader
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin
msg tools
mb
It depends on starting hand really. If I can put a bird card into build I like starting charismatic. Despot is a safe pick for a bad hand and makes the most out of dealing with WA which can be helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Charismatic or Despotic, depending on my mood. The other two don't seem like very strong starting leaders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Despot because you get a wild in Build and you need to build to get points. However, this can be bad if you don't draw good starting cards to put in Recruit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also like Charismatic -> Despot. Charismatic to get the board full of birds, Despot to use them to score extra points.

Starting with Despot is convenient for Decree, but it seems a waste of his ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ottaway
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends both on your starting hand as well as the composition of factions. Played a Eyrie/Vagabond match the other day, and you really can't have anything in battle so commander and charismatic are out. Builder was my first leader for that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Bramlage
United States
California
flag msg tools
Charismatic definitely. Getting the extra warriors on the board allow for a nice starting base and if you're forced to turmoil it's manageable because of the numbers you can build up. Charismatic into Commander or Despot goes well together I think, the latter two help take advantage of your numbers and your desire to fight. Only played them once so far but not sure how I'd make use of Builder to be honest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brambleberry wrote:
Only played them once so far but not sure how I'd make use of Builder to be honest.

Builder is for stinkin' Euro players. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ruble
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems the builder is an endgame leader. If you're at a stalemate but you have good cards to craft, maybe you pick the Builder as a 3rd Turmoil leader?

I think the Builder is designed for a player that has formed a coalition with the Vagabond. The Vagabond becomes a henchman. The Vagabond feeds the Eyrie cards and the Eyrie feeds the Vagabond items. The Builder allows that points engine to get off the ground.

I could see picking the Builder if the Builder put a wild bird card in the "Build" slot on the decree, but he doesn't. A wild "Recruit and Build" would make this card more of a contender.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Loki
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Songok wrote:
So, the most experienced player suggested that birds start with the despot leader, mostly because of the *wilds* in move and build which you kind of need to do early i guess

I decided to go with charismatic, because I had a wild to go in move, and because filling the maps with birds sounded like a good plan to be able to carry on even after an early turmoil

I got another card on recruit, matching the start area, and proceeded to get 4 birds a turn until I went in turmoil a few rounds later with almost all the birds on the board

After that I went with despot for additional points to win the game

What is your most used 1st leader? And second?

It was just my first time playing the birds, but the other 2 didnt seem nearly as good for either 1st or 2nd leader

I listened to a pod cast with the game designer and he recommended going charismatic early, holding on to your bird cards and then intentionally getting into turmoil. The only other viable starting leader he suggested is the warrior.

He describes despot and crafter as late game leaders, that help you rack up end game points through fighting or crafting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Guy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Charismatic like everyone else and for the same reasons. I would add that I try to stay off the Combat decree for as long as possible because players can throw you into turmoil by leaving you no one to fight. In particular, very early the Cats are the only faction on more than one clearing and they can use their double movement to run away from your corner of the board. That is hard but possible when you have a wild card in the battle column. It is easy when you have a an individual clearing type there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.