Subject: A few questions about the 2-player game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David sokoloff
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
I just started playing this with my wife and we both like it alot. We are both new to these kinds of games, so the novelty is getting the better of us. Here are our questions:

1. When you play the aqueduct card, does that mean you have protected every resource in every region? Does a principality constitute every single city/settlement a player owns?

2. Is it a good strategy to pick a scout in your initial three (if the card is in your deck)? Should you play a double-produciton card (ie, mill, foundry...) at the beginning of the game, or should you delay playing it until you can plant the same resource next to it (after you have another settlement)? What are the best cards to pick at the beginning of the game?

3. Is there a site somewhere that gives good strategy for the 2-player game?

4. What other games can you recommend that are similar strategy games that you all like?

Thanks alot for your help!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Re:A few questions about the 2-player game
dsokoloff wrote:
1. When you play the aqueduct card, does that mean you have protected every resource in every region? Does a principality constitute every single city/settlement a player owns?

Yes, the principality consists of your entire set of cards on the table.

2. Is it a good strategy to pick a scout in your initial three (if the card is in your deck)? Should you play a double-produciton card (ie, mill, foundry...) at the beginning of the game, or should you delay playing it until you can plant the same resource next to it (after you have another settlement)? What are the best cards to pick at the beginning of the game?

Getting an early scout can be a very strong play. Getting both of the ore producing cards out of the terrain deck can be crippling to your opponent if he doesn't know how to compensate.

I feel the best early plays are Scouts, Garrisons, and the 2x production buildings.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Davis
Australia
Forst Lake
QLD
flag msg tools
I dont know if drawing a scout card to start is a good idea. remember you cant play a scout card until you both have at least three victory points. My question is this, does placing that settlement give you the available VP straight away? even if it does the other player needs to have 3 VP before you can play it anyway so there for you would have to wait til they build a settlement first. This would take away your edge as you would need to wait around for the other player to make the first move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
alldougout (#49835),

Without having the rules here in front of me I am pretty sure that it ignores the VP requirement and can be played at any time a new settlement has been built.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian (#49859),

The Scout dodges the 3 victory point requirement. You can play it any time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
I feel the best early plays are Scouts, Garrisons, and the 2x production buildings.

Would the Abbey be a good addition to this list? It seems rather useful to have an extra card in hand early in the game.
I'm curious what cards other players try to get early on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.