Zombicide» Forums » General

Subject: New Miniature Painter - Brush on Sealants rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
E H

Iowa
msg tools
Hello All,

My partner and I are new miniature painters and we're trying out painting up some minis from Zombicide Season 1 as our first game. So far the zombies are looking awesome, but am wondering what type of sealant to use to keep them looking their decayed best.

We live in a high humidity climate in the US and I've seen and read horror stories about miniatures becoming frosted and ruined due to sealing them up in high humidity with a spray sealant. We typically average between 60 - 80% humidity daily. Even indoors with AC, we're still in the 60 - 70% range. From what I've read, and feel free to correct or share your experiences, a brush on sealant would work best given these conditions.

I'd like your recommendations for a brush-on gloss and matte sealant for these awesome minis! Links to your favorite brands highly appreciated!

Pictures of our progress so far! I'll post the finished product when we get them all done!

My First Mini:

Partner's First Mini (he's clearly a better photographer!):
-

Group Shots:
Fatties:
-

Assorted Group #1:
-

Assorted Group #2:
-

Assorted Group #3:
-

Close Ups:
-

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey
Singapore
flag msg tools
Twilight struggling to find time to play
badge
Twilight struggling to find time to play
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Vallejo brush on matte varnish.
it both protects the mini and removes the gloss from the dip I use.
https://boardgamegeek.com/image/1958622/heishiro1976
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm no professional, nor have i been painting for years, but so far (just a tick more than a year) plain old white glue (a.k.a. PVA) has served me well. i typically first apply a thinned-down layer (1:2 water:glue) then, after that dries, a layer of undiluted glue. Oftentimes i'll go back and add a 3rd layer to "hotspots" - those places most likely to be handled by fingers.

Granted, it's possibly not as quality as special-purpose spray varnishes, and is probably not as water-resistant, but each mini typically only needs a couple drops of glue, so a single inexpensive bottle will last practically for generations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worthwhile to try a spray varnish on a sample you don't care about. I'd be surprised if you get any frosting as long as you apply it correctly (which basically means light coats). In 40 years of painting, I've faintly frosted exactly one mini, and it was my fault for using an ancient can and over-applying the finish.

San Diego is a lot drier than wherever you are, but we get our muggy days and its been fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dann Stinard
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotta think like a gamer, or maybe a project manager:

Cost: The price of a small can of varnish and possibly one frosted mini.
Benefit: Anywhere from none (if the varnish frosts) to the time saved by using a spray.

The minis are looking great, by the way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls