Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Stokes
United States
North Augusta
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Duck Season!
badge
I also believe that you met the King of the Forest, Mei, and meeting him is a sign of good luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
Facebook wrote:
"Chef! Some of our guests are asking for ketchup. Do we have any?" "We don't serve ketchup in this company." "Also they are asking if the restaurant will expand anytime soon? There's a restaurant in the new quarter and with all the roadworks lately it is getting a lot of traffic." "Can't you see I am working on my new masterpiece? How can I concentrate like this? I need that Michelin star! And this new sushi dish is just the thing. Or maybe if I combine kimchi with icecream..." "But chef. Your guests are not asking for fancy stuff; they want ketchup and coffee. And better decorations. And a new menu." "Get out of my kitchen. Now!"

The Ketchup Mechanism & Other Ideas is an expansion for Food Chain Magnate. Help playtest it at the Splotter booth at Spiel, Essen, 2018! First come, first served.

Decipher time!

Ketchup: This one is obvious, its a catch-up mechanism.
Coffee: Not sure about this one
Better decorations: There are two camps, I love the art/I hate the art. New stuff for the latter group?
New menu: New mechanics or just a revamp of the current menu?

Speculate away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
mbmbmbmbmb
... & Other Ideas: modular expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rees
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roadworks...

Blocking roads between restaurants and houses... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Taylor

Alabama
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkrees wrote:
Roadworks...

Blocking roads between restaurants and houses... ninja

Or, possibly a new worker that would allow you to place new road pieces on the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Hollander
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds to me like we may be serving breakfast in the new expansion?

My guess is the roadworks refers to new tiles (hopefully compatible with the current tiles).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Plassard
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I hope there isn't an artificial ketchup catchup mechanisms added. That would be anti-Splotter. On the other hand, if they do things to tweak the balance of the cards, that would be more interesting.

One thing I would like is some degree of starting asymmetry or a way to derive it more quickly.

Here are some previous threads that the Splotter team has commented on - https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1558334/idea-my-son

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1485551/coffee-variant

My hope is that they blow us away with ideas we haven't speculated about, things outside the scope of what the game currently does. More cards, starting asymmetry, other differentiations in that space would be nice, but I hope they go for things literally outside the box.

Given that they have already referenced that there could be an Antiquity 3e sized box associated to fit the base game an expansion, it sounds like there could be a lot in the expansion.

One other idea would be some sort of franchising or international, etc component where there is a larger scope of the game and you can expand in more and interesting ways. Another cool idea would be to incorporate some 18xx style concepts - instead of owning a company outright, you can buy and sell shares in companies or something.

That's all rampant speculation though. Fortunately we should get some clarity into this around Essen since people will be openly playtesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the only vibe I'm getting out of that description that I'm confident in is the roadworks bit. Seems likely, we'll be able to manipulate the roads somehow, either by adding them or rotating tiles?

Also, I really hope ketchup doesn't refer to a catch-up mechanism as that could be disappointing, unless they figured out a way to do it in a Splottery way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stokes
United States
North Augusta
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Duck Season!
badge
I also believe that you met the King of the Forest, Mei, and meeting him is a sign of good luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
aplassard wrote:
I hope there isn't an artificial ketchup mechanisms added. That would be anti-Splotter.

Well, expansions were anti-splotter if I remember reading something somewhere that they would rather make new games than rehash old game, but anyone can change their mind.

From the facebook page comment section

Enrico Mazzardi wrote:
"Ketchup mechanism"? Splotter, is it a pun to tell us you're testing an expansion with a catch-up mechanism for FCM?
Anyway, can't wait to find out the answer by myself!

Splotter wrote:
Did we misunderstand what people were asking for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Canada
GTA
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming this is at all like & Cetera, it will be various modules that can be added to the game. No one will be forced to play with an expansion module... Not sure what the issue would be
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
s3kt0r wrote:
Yeah, the only vibe I'm getting out of that description that I'm confident in is the roadworks bit. Seems likely, we'll be able to manipulate the roads somehow, either by adding them or rotating tiles?

Also, I really hope ketchup doesn't refer to a catch-up mechanism as that could be disappointing, unless they figured out a way to do it in a Splottery way.

Even if they do implement a ketchup mechanism, nothing says you have to use it. Meanwhile, some of my friends would be very happy to even have the option
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaworu17 wrote:
s3kt0r wrote:

Even if they do implement a ketchup mechanism, nothing says you have to use it. Meanwhile, some of my friends would be very happy to even have the option

Just to be clear, if the expansion is modular (which seems likely, given the title), I am well aware of the ability to not use it, though I'll try anything from them once.

That doesn't mean I can't hope that "ketchup mechanism" isn't some big troll on Splotter's part ("we don't serve ketchup in this company") and that it refers to something else that I would use all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Larchenko
Russia
Ivanteevka
Moscow region
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope for solo rules. With random new restaurants (infinite food and fixed prices), random additional marketing, and may be growing town.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Sullivan
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The part I latched on to was the Michelin stars. I could see a way to give restaurants longer term bonuses that can grow and decay. But it would be have to be less related to '$ made this turn' or that feature would probably make you win more. My best guess is a 4th tier chef that makes fewer than 8 of the food, but has a Michelin star that changes your attractiveness to customers somehow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gómez
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
Aquí irá una frase ingeniosa
badge
No me toques los meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they are trolling us

"Chef! Some of our guests are asking for ketchup. Do we have any?" "We don't serve ketchup in this company."
I read: Designer! Some of our players are complaining they don´t know how to win, they want catch up mechanisms. Do we have any? We don’t design catch up mechanisms in this company.

"Also they are asking if the restaurant will expand anytime soon? There's a restaurant in the new quarter and with all the roadworks lately it is getting a lot of traffic." "Can't you see I am working on my new masterpiece? How can I concentrate like this? I need that Michelin star! And this new sushi dish is just the thing. Or maybe if I combine kimchi with icecream..."
I read: I want to design new games, not expansions.

"But chef. Your guests are not asking for fancy stuff; they want ketchup and coffee. And better decorations. And a new menu." "Get out of my kitchen. Now!"
I read: But designer. Your players are not asking for fancy mechanics; they just want games. And better graphic designs and components. Get out of my table. Now!

Anyway, I’ll pay attention to whatever Splotter will do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Daniel, your interpretation is spot on. Yet, I'm sure, they don't "troll" as far as adding the expansion to the BGG database and announcing playtests in Essen this year without actually working on this expansion.

"Combining kimchi with ice cream" is imho a tongue in cheek remark about "modern game design" of mixing as many different mechanisms as possible, no matter, if they fit together or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mls5stokes wrote:
Facebook wrote:
"But chef. Your guests are not asking for fancy stuff; they want ketchup and coffee."

Decipher time!

Better decorations: There are two camps, I love the art/I hate the art. New stuff for the latter group?

Speculate away!

Ketchup: Yup
Coffee: Faster play time
Better decorations: Sigh, yup new art.
New menu: Tougher. Could be anything from new rules variants to new foods to new employees to all of the above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
mbmbmbmbmb
I think coffee might be just a new product, which provides the "first to market drinks" bonus, yet is produced like a burger or pizza, not bought on the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gómez
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
Aquí irá una frase ingeniosa
badge
No me toques los meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonwocky wrote:
mls5stokes wrote:
Facebook wrote:
"But chef. Your guests are not asking for fancy stuff; they want ketchup and coffee."

Decipher time!

Speculate away!

New menu: Tougher. Could be anything from new rules variants to new foods to new employees to all of the above.

I actually like your interpretation about coffee and it matches with my theory that the description is a big joke, although I agree that they are actually working on an expansion.

Again, Splotter games don't need coffee (aka faster play time). Have that said, in a game that ends when the bank breaks (twice) you can make the game as short or as long as you want easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Membrillo wrote:
jasonwocky wrote:
mls5stokes wrote:
Facebook wrote:

Decipher time!

Speculate away!

I actually like your interpretation about coffee and it matches with my theory that the description is a big joke, although I agree that they are actually working on an expansion.

Again, Splotter games don't need coffee (aka faster play time). Have that said, in a game that ends when the bank breaks (twice) you can make the game as short or as long as you want easily.

I'm just thinking about the theme of the write-up..."What are (many but not all) players asking for?" And I feel like "shorter play time" is a good candidate for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Plassard
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Let’s hope this is the Roll-and-write, legacy expansion we’ve all been hoping for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Wilhm
United States
EDMOND
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
TokenCon: Oklahoma's First Board Game Convention!
badge
Living my best life
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! I love FCM and I love to speculate about things! Win-win!

Ketchup: we all agree that this us a catch-up mechanism, but how will it be implemented? Here's my guess: if multiple players can provide for an order, but they don't make the sale, they get a ketchup token. If after dinner they are the only player not to make a sale, they get a ketchup token. During future dinner phases, if a player plays a ketchup token they can either a) double the value of that sale or b) force the sale to go to their restaurant. Discard the Token afterwards. If you miss out on a sale due to a ketchup token, you do not get one as a consolation. If multiple players play ketchup tokens on a turn, the tie is resolved by turn order track.

Coffee: what if the coffee wasn't for customers, but for employees? Each player gets a coffee stand marker to place on the beginning map before placing restaurants. You collect coffee like other drinks, but you can give it to your employees so they can either work faster (be trained and do their job on the same turn), or work longer for their salary (discard a coffee token instead of paying the $5 salary). As a drawback, they crash after the coffee and call in sick the next day - can't be used for a turn.

Better Decorations: not for the game itself, but works like the discount employees but for subtracting distance from the value instead of price (people will drive farther for a nicer looking restaurant).

New Menu: new employee cards and a new training structure, or new items to market and sell. I can't decide which one I like better.

Can't wait for this expansion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coffee: Our players don’t want to stay up so late playing our game!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Fooled you!
badge
Click to edit.
mbmbmbmbmb
Susumu wrote:
I think coffee might be just a new product, which provides the "first to market drinks" bonus, yet is produced like a burger or pizza, not bought on the map.

So now we can have a Starbucks franchise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kerenza
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Speculation about Michelin stars is that it's another route to win the game by but I have no idea about the mechanics other than it dosen't generate as much income but provides other traditional players some thing race against similar to the wonder spammer in R&B.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really speculation but just a thought I had based on the "decorations" comment.

It might be interesting if they added seasons and seasonal items to the game. Decorating your shop for the holidays as a marketing ploy, roads being snowed in so you have to use alternate routes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.