1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Complaint Department

Subject: captchas for file downloads --> I will be cutting my funding. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
H, Gua
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just went to download some PnP files and I was met with captchas . I contacted the admins and they said that it was to prevent scraping of content by robots. I sympathize, but not so much.

I won't pretend to know whether there are better ways of dealing with the problem, but I will vote with my feet/$. I will be cutting my monetary support for the site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hibou
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Like a stream that meets a boulder halfway through the woods.
badge
Born to be a king, I ask one thing in return: a front seat to watch Earth burn.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does that matter to you? Not attacking, just curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hamigua2000 wrote:
I just went to download some PnP files and I was met with captchas . I contacted the admins and they said that it was to prevent scraping of content by robots. I sympathize, but not so much.

I won't pretend to know whether there are better ways of dealing with the problem, but I will vote with my feet/$. I will be cutting my monetary support for the site.

What's the problem with captchas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .
Iceland
Reykjavík
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
Hamigua2000 wrote:

What's the problem with captchas?

Maybe he is a robot... robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear that this has impacted your enjoyment of the site.

Captchas have been part of the protection of the site when it comes to downloads since at least 2009.

They effect all user the same (including me), it's not personal it's just fairly simple and successful solution to the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H, Gua
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's extra steps. I'm getting older (read: I'm on my way to becoming a cranky old man). My vision is getting worse. In general my "captcha" success rate/ability is decreasing over time. So it is a source of frustration for me.

I have said my piece, and I'm glad to have had the opportunity to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I rarely download files so I wouldn't know, but don't captchas only occur after so many downloads in one session?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
Hamigua2000 wrote:

Thats your call, though a few seconds and a few clicks is a small price to pay for security.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I also hate captchas, and get them wrong half the time. But I thought on this site they only appeared if you weren't logged in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've never seen a captcha any time I've downloaded something from here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zuludawn wrote:
I also hate captchas, and get them wrong half the time. But I thought on this site they only appeared if you weren't logged in.

They will appear if you are logged in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damjon wrote:
zuludawn wrote:

I just tried it - no captcha. I've only ever seen them here when I wasn't logged into my account.

Couldn't be a browser issue, could it? I wouldn't think so, but I can't understand why you're seeing them and I'm not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just downloaded a file, no captcha. I know I've seen them come up, not often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I don't know this for an absolute fact, I think captcha frequency can be set by the website. I know one website I use I will get it about every 2-3 months and another website I get it maybe once a year. The other issue is that types of activity can trigger it. A single download probably will not. Five or six downloads within a ten minute frame probably will, because at that point you look start like a bot. This can be problematic if you are on a large network or something else that uses a proxy server. If five different people download one file, but they are all sharing the same IP, this can also look like a bot. Some websites can also get a bit sophisticated. Bots tend to click on links in very precise ways (typically the exact center of a link) whereas real humans are relatively imprecise. So some websites can figure out if you are human by how you click on links and even the frequency with which you move from page to page. So some website can figure out if you are human without using capthca and only use it as a secondary test, but not all websites do this. I also just did a quick Google and apparently certain kinds of viruses and spyware can trigger captcha when they try to "phone home" their data, so if you are getting a lot of captchas, it might be a good time to break out your MalwareBytes. Finally, again something I don't know for a fact, but it wouldn't surprise me if some of the checks are just random. But the ultimate point here is that there is no single algorithm to the captcha system, and its probably good that there isn't. After all, if the captcha algorithm were known, you could program a robot to circumvent the rules, which kind of defeats the point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike G
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've downloaded tons of files over the past 9 years. The only time I've ever seen a captcha is when I wasn't logged in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zuludawn wrote:
Damjon wrote:
zuludawn wrote:

I just tried it - no captcha. I've only ever seen them here when I wasn't logged into my account.

Couldn't be a browser issue, could it? I wouldn't think so, but I can't understand why you're seeing them and I'm not.

I'm logged in and.....

I downloaded the doc 3-4 times though. Perhaps that's the trigger?

From (admittedly spotty) memory I see Capcha when downloading a number of documents at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Damjon wrote:
I downloaded the doc 3-4 times though. Perhaps that's the trigger?

From (admittedly spotty) memory I see Capcha when downloading a number of documents at once.

This.

I often download files here, and I very rarely see captchas. (I honestly don't even remember the last time I saw one, and I download multiple files per week.)

From what I recall of past admin posts on the subject, and my own direct experience, it's only when you download multiple files in a short time that a captcha appears.

Considering I normally never see captchas here, it would be a really strange reason for me to stop supporting BGG. But if the OP often downloads lots of files in a short time, I guess his experience is different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
From what I recall of past admin posts on the subject, and my own direct experience, it's only when you download multiple files in a short time that a captcha appears.
From personal experience it’s something like at least three files within five minutes or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a timing trigger. Too many, too fast = captcha.

Slow down and things will be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Harding
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." - Salvador Dali
badge
Mostly harmless
mbmbmbmbmb
bongoHerman wrote:
Maybe he is a robot... robot

https://i.redd.it/7p7auph1x1a01.png
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .
Iceland
Reykjavík
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zuludawn wrote:

They also show up if you download a lot of things in a short time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .
Iceland
Reykjavík
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:

So he just has to go on aging a bit more and he'll be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .
Iceland
Reykjavík
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hamigua2000 wrote:
...In general my "captcha" success rate/ability is decreasing over time. ...

So you're having increasing trouble hitting a checkbox with a mouse click? I'm starting to get worried.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bongoHerman wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

So he just has to go on aging a bit more and he'll be fine.

If they are old enough, they will possess the wisdom to know the answer to that question is Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bongoHerman wrote:
Hamigua2000 wrote:
...In general my "captcha" success rate/ability is decreasing over time. ...

So you're having increasing trouble hitting a checkbox with a mouse click? I'm starting to get worried.

The captcha solve issue is real, partic the old school alpha-numerical flavors. Those have always sucked, but as your eyes lose their abilities, they suck even more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.