51 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Complaint Department

Subject: Deleted posts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marion
msg tools
Take it easy baby, take it as it comes ... (The Doors)
badge
Enjoy Life! Just do it!
mbmbmb
Is it new policy now to just delete posts "by administrator" when they got enough "x", or maybe even without ?
Instead of having those posts still "available to read" if one clicks "show" (as it was before).
Just asking.
Not judging.

I'm not sure if one is better than the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Noch gibt es dies Land nur im Geiste, doch stehen wir wachsam bereit. Am Feuer erklingen die Lieder für eine bessere Zeit.
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the new functions implemented on the site is the ability for a moderator to obliterate the text of a message. It's not an automatic thing, and it's not necessarily tied to the amount of 'x's that message got (for example, some messages could be 'x'ed for reasons not necessarily tied to the provocative nature of the post). It's true that the fact that we had a message is visible, but on the other hand the removed content will prevent the thread for being flamed further / at a later time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Or the fact that noone can see what was deemed bad will make people repeat the mistake over and over again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just about to start a thread asking the same thing, as today was the first time I saw “This post has been removed by a moderator.” So I was going to ask if it was new, and since when.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
It is new. Octavian started using it on the weekend. Apparently they're still working on things, and there will be an announcement once that's done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I looooove this new policy!

They can just excise the drama completely*. It really helps keep thread derailment under control. I had a couple of posts removed for quoting deleted content, and that also makes so much sense. You can be sure I won't be quoting rule-breaking content in future.

Keep up the good work mods!

* well, never completely, but far more effectively
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Or the fact that noone can see what was deemed bad will make people repeat the mistake over and over again...

Hah. Nobody "learns" in the time it takes for a thread to implode. As long as the content that required moderation is there, someone will be tempted to comment on it, and round and round the merry-go-round goes.

The offender gets a warning from the mods and time and space to consider whether or not they will heed the warning, the content gets deleted, the replies quoting the content get deleted, everybody (else) wins.

Nobody really benefits from leaving it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Take it easy baby, take it as it comes ... (The Doors)
badge
Enjoy Life! Just do it!
mbmbmb
Hm.
Still don't know if this is good or bad .....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
maho wrote:
Hm.
Still don't know if this is good or bad .....

Me neither.

I can't decide how I feel when I see threads that look like this:

At least you can follow that people stood up against the bad stuff - which is not so apparent when people just quietly red x stuff.

But it does look and feel a bit more Big Brother-ish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
entwife wrote:

I can't decide how I feel when I see threads that look like this:

The transition period is going to be a bit ugly. Everyone with an ounce of sense has been saying "don't respond, flag" regarding rule-breaking content for a long time, but we've all been guilty of quoting for posterity, responding, etc.

Once the new moderation starts actually changing how people respond to rule breaches, the flood of moderation will slow, and threads will look less ugly.

Lots of sites have been enacting similar policies for years, and they haven't suffered for it. There's no need to fear "chilling effects" as long as the moderators can be trusted. I think Octavian and co. have earned that trust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is it weird of me to wonder how many different ways they have of categorising 'bad' posts. E.g in the example above they stated the posts were bigoted (which I agree with, having seen the original posts), but presumably there'll be many different such explanations for deletion. How nuanced will they be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Given what was in those posts, how might you suggest responding in a way that did not immediately derail the thread (and in part validate the racist bullshit by considering it worthy of discussion)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
Given what was in those posts, how might you suggest responding in a way that did not immediately derail the thread (and in part validate the racist bullshit by considering it worthy of discussion)?

But if one completely ignores comments (hoping that moderators will remove them) it might look as if the community implicitly approved of them, or at least tolerated them. At least one person jumping in to say "Hey, that's not OK" lets everyone know that those sort of comments are not being accepted by everyone.

Clearly quoting those comments isn't a good plan (particularly now) but I'd personally rather someone posted something to the effect of "The above comment is hugely inappropriate and I hope the moderators step in to remove it". For instance as a woman reading a thread with a blatantly sexist comment that seems to be being ignored, I wouldn't be able to tell whether that's a) because nobody cared, and didn't see it as inappropriate or b) everybody was appalled, and hoping for it to be deleted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
entwife wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:

But if one completely ignores comments (hoping that moderators will remove them) it might look as if the community implicitly approved of them, or at least tolerated them. At least one person jumping in to say "Hey, that's not OK" lets everyone know that those sort of comments are not being accepted by everyone.

Only until they are deleted. And how did it look in the old regime where anything, no matter how vile (yes, really), was let stand?

Quote:
Clearly quoting those comments isn't a good plan (particularly now) but I'd personally rather someone posted something to the effect of "The above comment is hugely inappropriate and I hope the moderators step in to remove it". For instance as a woman reading a thread with a blatantly sexist comment that seems to be being ignored, I wouldn't be able to tell whether that's a) because nobody cared, and didn't see it as inappropriate or b) everybody was appalled, and hoping for it to be deleted.

But you can tell. Flagging the post in question hides it (when a small handful of people have done so). And there's nothing that keeps anyone from responding indirectly without quoting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
entwife wrote:
But if one completely ignores comments (hoping that moderators will remove them) it might look as if the community implicitly approved of them, or at least tolerated them.

For attention-seeking posts any reply is a win, so I see that ignoring and flagging and especially not replying is still the best course of action.

If people flagged it, it is collapsed, and you know you're not alone.

I don't think just saying "inappropriate" has much value without explaining why, but a "real" reply very easily results in thread derailment. So, consideration is needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
But you can tell. Flagging the post in question hides it (when a small handful of people have done so).

Rather, it hides it for people who have their account configured to hide sufficiently-flagged posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
russ wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:
But you can tell. Flagging the post in question hides it (when a small handful of people have done so).

Rather, it hides it for people who have their account configured to hide sufficiently-flagged posts.

I used to have things configured so they appeared hidden, but then I found that I always used to click on them to see what was said, and that they even drew my attention far more (in a morbid, car crash watching sort of wayblush), so now I see it all, and miss out on knowing what's been sufficiently flagged.

Personally I could do with an in between position of having things marked as having been flagged (so I could see other similarly felt a comment was 'bad'), but without hiding it (until a moderator stepped in).

Clearly that's just my own peculiarity though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This will prevent continuation / response of the offending behavior/material in follow-up posts/quotes, as you know that your prose will now get nuked with the offending material. In short - self preservation of one's work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sean
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
badge
You wanted the best, You got the best, The hottest band in the World..KISS!
mbmbmbmbmb
Unbalanced moderation on;
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/30104352#30104352

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
silverfox63 wrote:
Unbalanced moderation on;

I'm not sure if you wanted to report a problematic moderation. If this is the case, please send a geekmail to the Community Manager to clarify the situation:
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
entwife wrote:
Is it weird of me to wonder how many different ways they have of categorising 'bad' posts. E.g in the example above they stated the posts were bigoted (which I agree with, having seen the original posts), but presumably there'll be many different such explanations for deletion. How nuanced will they be?

I've just seen what may be the first "Removed for personal attacks".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
silverfox63 wrote:

Please, do elaborate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Wrede
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
silverfox63 wrote:

I agree with you on that. I just sent this mail to Octavian:

Quote:
I'm not sure if I'm right about this, but I wanted to tell you this nevertheless. Please, just decide for yourself.

I want to report problematic, unbalanced moderation in this thread:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/30104352#30104352

A lot of posts have been deleted already, even those I found to be constructive and topic-related. It's a discussion about "mansplaining". While in fact there were several posts that were probably derailing the discussion, I think that many posts were deleted unjustified.

Some users think that the term "mansplaining" itself is sexist. It should be allowed to state that. To clarify, nobody wants to play down the problem that is called "mansplaining". Men treating women in a condescending way is sexism. But: It should not be allowed to counter sexism with more sexism. Both are wrong. It's not a solution to say that this problem should be discussed somewhere else. If someone uses sexist terms, it can't be a solution to address that problem somewhere else.

Kindest regards
Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
silverfox63 wrote:
Unbalanced in the same way that a librarian moderates loud visitors more than quiet ones?

You might not agree with the librarian when she hushes you and feel that there's no reason you need to speak quietly. Regardless of whether you think it's appropriate or not, that space has been established with a particular set of guidelines about what is and what isn't allowed. Either you follow those guidelines or you go somewhere else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alingex wrote:
Some users think that the term "mansplaining" itself is sexist. It should be allowed to state that.
In discussions about how to handle a problem, stating "There's no problem" or "Prove to me it's a problem" derail the discussion by pushing the topic away from "solutions" to "establish there's even a problem". This has been deemed detrimental to those discussions.

And as those discussions are viewed as being worthwhile discussions, the management has stated many times that they will no longer allow those types of derailments. So no... they are not allowed to state that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.