Subject: Harry Potter and the Eighth Horcrux rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Vallina
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
if I'm Andy, is Zack April? seems right...
badge
"When I get bummed out, I take my shirt off because the bad feelings make me feel sweaty."
mbmbmbmbmb
Royalflush wrote:
Tricky game when everyone thinks we shouldn't be collapsing the threads when in fact that is exactly what we should do. shake

Explains why we had all the movers we did!
we knew it was a thing, after Hogwarts collapsed so we tried to sow the fear of SO MANY NKs in one thread.

as if it was any different than that many NKs spread out..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Likens
United States
Cornelius
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Btw, I was hoping to draw the nk. I didn't see my role as contributing that much. The ability to move me or Harry between threads didn't seem that great to me over what others could do. And I didn't know when or if I'd find Ron. And even then I wasn't sure if I wanted to as we'd become lovers and evil would get a 2 for 1 while I wasn't sure we had a great target yet.

So ultimately I figured I was a better choice for nk than some of the other goods which may have been around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abernathy
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
...magic
badge
I have no idea what I'm doing
mbmbmbmbmb
Royalflush wrote:
Tricky game when everyone thinks we shouldn't be collapsing the threads when in fact that is exactly what we should do. shake

I don't think this mattered one way or another in terms of collapsing (other than slowing the game down for views).

I do think we ended up with too many movement roles. There were SEVEN effects that could move people, including 3 primary night actions useable at will. After making sure evils were split up, moving roles was the main thing swapped around in the starting village assignments to avoid what happened at hogwarts, which we were trying to avoid.

I didn't notice that I put the vig kill, the once per game move (errol), the extra wolf kill all in there though, so it collapsed on n1 shake. Plus one mover was blocked and the other killed so no one could move TO hogwarts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abernathy
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
...magic
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryagic wrote:
Other things I enjoyed:
nets and madelineb pretending to be good in slytherin chat when no one else ended up getting to read it.

madeline's rhyming

Discussions about who was actually evil in Harry Potter lore.

nets wanting me to post specific gifs of Bellatrix dying when he died and generally being super excited about everything.

Serwave giffing in a HP game is always great!

Oh also majai's "apprentice owl" claim and RP'ing of pidwidgeon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Freedonia
flag msg tools
badge
When there's nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fire.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just remembered I said this in mason giant chat:

Quote:
zenofkermit Nov 10, 02:26 PM: I want a wand or spell that lets me murder multiple people right now.
zenofkermit Nov 11, 02:20 PM: I wish I had a wand or spell that would let me kill like half this village.

I WANT MY PINK UMBRELLA!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
Smugs wrote:
Netslummer wrote:
also the first time I wasn't a panicky werewolf! laugh

*raises eyebrow*

Those chats are you NOT panicking?

Why do you have a gimp mask as your avatar?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day (she/her)
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I may or may not be a Wolf, but I'm definitely wolfing
badge
I am a cloud
mbmbmbmbmb
twomillionbucks wrote:
Smugs wrote:
Netslummer wrote:
also the first time I wasn't a panicky werewolf! laugh

*raises eyebrow*

Those chats are you NOT panicking?

Why do you have a gimp mask as your avatar?

Lol. It is a dementor mask. But I'm not ashamed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crafting Table
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a terrible way to read Korte FWIW.
badge
Korte is STILL a black hole on d3.
mbmbmbmbmb
I also had no idea what the form was for, I had it open multiple times over the course of signups in various stages of being filled in, couldn't remember if I had submitted it, couldn't motivate myself to put in a bunch of roles that probably were also getting submitted by everyone else, then regretted it immediately when the game started and I didn't have what I thought was information about what roles in the game had to be good or evil. As a result I ended up having really weird and cautious play because I was worried about claiming something that someone else had put on their "must be evil" list....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Netslummer wrote:
Royalflush wrote:

we knew it was a thing, after Hogwarts collapsed so we tried to sow the fear of SO MANY NKs in one thread.

It's not the number of NKs that's the issue there, it's that good knows they lose a lynch every time a thread collapses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terri K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Good golly people... my username has a lower case x!!
badge
Females play board games too!!! ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
Kortemaki wrote:
I also had no idea what the form was for, I had it open multiple times over the course of signups in various stages of being filled in, couldn't remember if I had submitted it, couldn't motivate myself to put in a bunch of roles that probably were also getting submitted by everyone else, then regretted it immediately when the game started and I didn't have what I thought was information about what roles in the game had to be good or evil. As a result I ended up having really weird and cautious play because I was worried about claiming something that someone else had put on their "must be evil" list....
Yeah... almost the same... sadly some of this worry probably shined through and didn't help Team Good find me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abernathy
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
...magic
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also in the things I liked list, the theming of the houses:

Hufflepuff: Loyalty through not targetting fellow housemembers.
Ravenclaw: Learning through vote tallies
Slytherin: Ambition through vote strength
And then Gryffindor was necromancy! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boonta Frederickson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oh, i had fun passing messages to shawna in thread! that was fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Westwood
Kansas
flag msg tools
Smile!
badge
Smile!
mbmbmbmbmb
cvb2009 wrote:
Netslummer wrote:
Royalflush wrote:

It's not the number of NKs that's the issue there, it's that good knows they lose a lynch every time a thread collapses.

Trading a lost lynch for a lost NK is a net positive for Good though (more info) - we just didn't know that was the bargain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hibou
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
With Trigun being this lock consensus good read for so many people, I find it really bizarre that she's alive. There's a threshold where if she's still alive she should probably be murdalated.
badge
Born to be a king, I ask one thing in return: a front seat to watch Earth burn.
mbmbmbmbmb
RoyalApe wrote:
cvb2009 wrote:
Netslummer wrote:
Royalflush wrote:

Trading a lost lynch for a lost NK is a net positive for Good though (more info) - we just didn't know that was the bargain.

It usually isn't.

It was something I wanted to try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hibou
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
With Trigun being this lock consensus good read for so many people, I find it really bizarre that she's alive. There's a threshold where if she's still alive she should probably be murdalated.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way- the Grindelwald flavor was because Abernathy introduced him with the pocketwatch, and I kind of was mentally thinking through a possible prequel and sequel for this game. The prequel would be Voldemort's first fall, and the sequel would have Grindelwald.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryagic wrote:
Also in the things I liked list, the theming of the houses:

Hufflepuff: Loyalty through not targetting fellow housemembers.
Ravenclaw: Learning through vote tallies
Slytherin: Ambition through vote strength
And then Gryffindor was necromancy! laugh

Or the bravery and courage and determination to not let death be the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wario Wario
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
It's a me! WARIO!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like (I’m ministy at least), we had very little chance once 2 evils moved in D2. Even if we had lynched acox on D1, he flips good and we probably mislynch on D2 because of it. Would have taken a perfect game and lynching not only evils but the correct evils.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alabaster
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gg guys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hibou
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People are allowed to feel frustrated when they lose, but the degree to which it turns into game/moderator bashing makes modding games not very much fun sometimes.

Designing games like this with a billion moving parts is really hard, and this game just as easily could have been over Day 4 with a total good steamroll. I've seen it happen before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
SerWave wrote:
Seems like (I’m ministy at least), we had very little chance once 2 evils moved in D2. Even if we had lynched acox on D1, he flips good and we probably mislynch on D2 because of it. Would have taken a perfect game and lynching not only evils but the correct evils.

We had some advantages, but we got lucky too. Consider the implications of one small change to what happened: Syntax claiming aware tinker on D1.

In that world, Vanders doesn't view syntax, probably views Knight instead and gets a clear. Suddenly, we have a much harder time getting our mislynches without Vanders' support.

Also consider a world where Shawna puts two goods in Slytherin, or a world where Mejei's reads aren't as spot-on as they are here. Suddenly evil doesn't have it so easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alabaster
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ljtrigirl wrote:
People are allowed to feel frustrated when they lose, but the degree to which it turns into game/moderator bashing makes modding games not very much fun sometimes.

Designing games like this with a billion moving parts is really hard, and this game just as easily could have been over Day 4 with a total good steamroll. I've seen it happen before.

I didn't get the impression that ser was trying to bash the mods?..
If he feels this way about the balance of the game, regardless of whether it's true, I'm not sure how he's supposed to phrase it in a way that you would consider less aggressive than this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
twomillionbucks wrote:
SerWave wrote:

We had some advantages, but we got lucky too. Consider the implications of one small change to what happened: Syntax claiming aware tinker on D1.

In that world, Vanders doesn't view syntax, probably views Knight instead and gets a clear. Suddenly, we have a much harder time getting our mislynches without Vanders' support.

Also consider a world where Shawna puts two goods in Slytherin, or a world where Mejei's reads aren't as spot-on as they are here. Suddenly evil doesn't have it so easy.

Also note that you had two very strong abilities that never triggered- Harry's and Snape's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawna
United States
flag msg tools
badge
It's not about who you know. Enlightenment comes from within. The Dalai Lama texted me that.
Thank you for the game, mods! And thanks for a fun time to everyone playing.
I had a blast, even though I did terribly, and we got trounced. =P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawna
United States
flag msg tools
badge
It's not about who you know. Enlightenment comes from within. The Dalai Lama texted me that.
I know someone warned about this being a possible thing because it happened before. But I don't really understand why anyone would like this type of thing as a mechanic, especially in thematic character-based games like this one...

"You have your own pack and kill outside of the Death Eaters, but you must put in a character AND player name."

Am I over-reacting to this? It feels like a mechanic I would want to nuke from existence, if I were all-powerful.
Like the thought of that being a concern in future hidden role games upsets me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawna
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I love, love huge games like this, but I never go into them expecting much balance.
It seems near impossible to get a set with so many abilities to be stabilized without potential swinginess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  8 , 9 , 10 , 11 , 12  Next »  [12] |