Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like the other thread did something that someone didn't like (and was locked).

I know - from conversations with moderators, I was told "Our general policy of not deleting even offensive posts and at worst locking a thread is probably one of the least invasive forum moderation policies around for a forum as large and active as ours."

Looks like that's no longer the case?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
Looks like the other thread did something that someone didn't like (and was locked).

I know - from conversations with moderators, I was told "Our general policy of not deleting even offensive posts and at worst locking a thread is probably one of the least invasive forum moderation policies around for a forum as large and active as ours."

Looks like that's no longer the case?
I noticed the same thing (after following our friendly moderator through subscription). A lot of things have been changing lately in the forums where troublemakers strike...I guess this is just another one.

Pete (is surprised the "rules" held as long as they did)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't understand the rationale behind deleting other people's posts. Every one of us has the option to hide things we don't want to see. Those that don't want to see something can "make it so", while leaving the posts there for others to see if they want to. That should be enough to satisfy everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't like the new policy in general. You're only going to open yourself up to skepticism.

The old system was fine. We saw the offending post. It was 99.99% obvious and uncontroversial as to why the offenders were banned. Now people will speculate.

More transparency is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .
Iceland
Reykjavík
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about it a bit due to the recent thread in W&G getting a lot of deletions. I think the problem with the old method is that it still allows people to constantly rekindle the flames by replying to or quoting inflammatory posts. Sure, they could lock the thread, but that would also kill the discussion.
Now it seems to me that despite the usually very strict rsp rules, current policy is to give posts in subforums like w&g some leeway in order to provide much-needed space for discussion concerning e.g. inclusivity in gaming. Which means that the old methods of pushing threads into rsp or locking them aren't adequate in order to foster this kind of discussion. Ergo, deletion.

It is late here and I'm tired, but I hope this isn't gibberish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacq L
New Zealand
flag msg tools
What are YOU lookin at?
badge
poof
mbmbmbmbmb
As a regular in w&g, I'm happy with the deletion. Seeing a deleted post evokes two negative feelings at first:

1. a small curiosity/annoyance, a "nrrrgh, I wish I had seen that." This passes quickly - I just have to remember some of the posts I did see. (one example from that thread is a picture of literal human feces).

2. A feeling of "I wish I knew who said something warranting deleting so I could block them. However, the chances here are that I've already plonked them, or they're a throwaway, in which case I don't mind.

Both of those feelings are not outweighing the frustration of seeing so many good threads (on w&g specifically) going off the rails and eventually derailed into getting locked. It doesn't quite mitigate the issues whereby the regulars abandon ship, but even with the current thread I can see that it's helping!

While in general I kinda understand the trepidation with more heavy-handed moderation, I honestly think in this case it's great to see moderation in w&g be a bit more proactive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacqland wrote:
As a regular in w&g, I'm happy with the deletion. Seeing a deleted post evokes two negative feelings at first:

1. a small curiosity/annoyance, a "nrrrgh, I wish I had seen that." This passes quickly - I just have to remember some of the posts I did see. (one example from that thread is a picture of literal human feces).

2. A feeling of "I wish I knew who said something warranting deleting so I could block them. However, the chances here are that I've already plonked them, or they're a throwaway, in which case I don't mind.

Both of those feelings are not outweighing the frustration of seeing so many good threads (on w&g specifically) going off the rails and eventually derailed into getting locked. It doesn't quite mitigate the issues whereby the regulars abandon ship, but even with the current thread I can see that it's helping!

While in general I kinda understand the trepidation with more heavy-handed moderation, I honestly think in this case it's great to see moderation in w&g be a bit more proactive.

I very much agree with this. Over time I've come to at least some understanding of how wearing it is to have to go through the same explanations and arguments over and over when particular issues come up.

I don't think it's necessary for the mods to add a note as to why a post was deleted though. A simple "this post has been removed" is enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacqland wrote:
This is a really good point, and a consequence of deleting. How will one know who to block?

wrote:
(one example from that thread is a picture of literal human feces).
I... don’t even know what to say about that. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Take it easy baby, take it as it comes ... (The Doors)
badge
Enjoy Life! Just do it!
mbmbmbmbmb
My thread got locked?
I didn't even know that....

Thanks Lemur for openin a new one, let's see how long it will last.

Has anyone here an idea WHY my thread was locked?
There was derailment, but I tried to put it back on track.

Do admins don't like/want this issue to be discussed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
I don’t know why that thread was locked.

Normally the admin doing the locking adds a message as to why, but not in this case.

Odd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am curious as to how this new policy will play out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .
Iceland
Reykjavík
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maho wrote:
My thread got locked?
I didn't even know that....

Thanks Lemur for openin a new one, let's see how long it will last.

Has anyone here an idea WHY my thread was locked?
There was derailment, but I tried to put it back on track.

Do admins don't like/want this issue to be discussed?

it's weird that there was no note from Octavian this time, but i assume it was locked down because it started mirroring the W&G threat and they wanted to snuff out the flames preemptively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the W&G thread that was deleted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
15 Keys
United States
Living in the Delco
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it ironic that the thread about Deleted Posts was locked but allowed to remain visible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
badge
Enjoy Life! Just do it!
mbmbmbmbmb
fifteenkeys wrote:
I find it ironic that the thread about Deleted Posts was locked but allowed to remain visible.

The question is: how visible?

I originally posted it in the General Gaming forum.
Maybe it was not the right place, but what is?
The problem with the "complaint department" is that it is just not visible for people who don't know that it even exists.

So, my thread being locked - and I still don't know why actually - AND being thrown into the complaint department makes me feel a bit disturbed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Noch gibt es dies Land nur im Geiste, doch stehen wir wachsam bereit. Am Feuer erklingen die Lieder für eine bessere Zeit.
mbmbmbmbmb
maho wrote:
fifteenkeys wrote:

The question is: how visible?

I originally posted it in the General Gaming forum.
Maybe it was not the right place, but what is?
The problem with the "complaint department" is that it is just not visible for people who don't know that it even exists.

So, my thread being locked - and I still don't know why actually - AND being thrown into the complaint department makes me feel a bit disturbed.

General Gaming is "General discussion about the gaming hobby". Doesn't seem particularly pertinent to that thread.

Correct place for such a thread to be opened would be BGG General ("Post and discuss improvement site suggestions here"). Nonetheless, the conversation in that thread moved quickly from "what's going on" to "look at what happened", which is a complaint, and thus the thread was moved there.

If you believe the thread was placed in the wrong department, or that a moderation done was not done properly, please contact Octavian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
badge
Enjoy Life! Just do it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Understood.

I think that the complaint department should be more visible.
Honestly, I discovered it only after 4 years or so!

Stuff there gets only discussed amongst those who know that it exists and are subscribed to it.
Not enough input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Noch gibt es dies Land nur im Geiste, doch stehen wir wachsam bereit. Am Feuer erklingen die Lieder für eine bessere Zeit.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a good point, Marion. If you want something to have more visibility, best way to do so is starting a thread in the Suggestions section of the site.

I agree that the site's structure is not the best to navigate, tho :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nope nope
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I had actually thought your original post was in the right place, the description of BGG General States:
Post general questions and comments about the BoardGameGeek website here.

Seems like concerns about new moderation fits there. However, that was without knowing of a "Complaint Dept." because it's listed under "Everything Else". It's not a complaint about everything else, it's a concern about the site. I don't even go that far down the list because I don't come to BGG for "everything else".

Best solution depending on difficulty would be moving "Complaint Department" under the BGG Category if that's its purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
FWIW at every forum site I use (i.e. not just BGG but many others too), one of the earliest things I do is look at the list of forums (which is usually easy to do, e.g. by clicking the "Forums" link) to see what forums are available. I highly recommend this habit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .
Iceland
Reykjavík
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maho wrote:
fifteenkeys wrote:

... being thrown into the complaint department makes me feel a bit disturbed.

No reason to be disturbed. The complaint department, as I only discovered recently myself, is one of the best places in BGG if not the internet as a whole!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoya wrote:
[q="Jacqland"] 2. A feeling of "I wish I knew who said something warranting deleting so I could block them. However, the chances here are that I've already plonked them, or they're a throwaway, in which case I don't mind.
This is a really good point, and a consequence of deleting. How will one know who to block?

](one example from that thread is a picture of literal human feces).
[/q wrote:
I... don’t even know what to say about that. shake
Options:

That stinks.
I hate that crap.
How shitty!
What a waste!
Poop!

Pete (admits to running out of ideas on that last one)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

If you never see offensive posts from user X, why regret that you don't know to block user X?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me say I am a fan of the new policy of deleting posts, which is consistent with most moderation in other online forums. Why allow a disruptive, offensive, or mean-spirited post remain, still visible to anyone who wants to read it (even if collapsed), and still collecting thumbs, which only serve to reward and reinforce such behavior?

From my perspective, it's really jarring and upsetting to be minding your own business, casually reading about a game, only to suddenly have to read some bigoted or offensive piece of garbage, even in a collapsed or quoted post. It can really ruin my morning/afternoon. Having such content removed helps make everyone else's experience better here.

There is another bright side to this: if someone's posts get deleted, hopefully they will learn quickly what kinds of behavior are tolerated here, and will adapt. No thumbs or encouragement for them. The upshot is that after moderation, if they're able to control themselves, they will be able to participate civilly in conversations without other users having plonked them (since their posts were removed). It's a win-win: we don't have to read their garbage and they won't become community pariahs for the disruptive things they say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Except -- in the past, when someone posted something offensive; most (not me; but most others, I hear) would get an email saying, "you *will* be moderated, unless you remove this offensive content." That provided an element of restorative justice.

Now, it would appear, that opportunity is lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.