flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:
tumorous wrote:
I don't have any time, nor willpower, but I do have Python.
I have Cats, but they don't ever count anything even though they have toes. How does a Python count past 1?
It doesn't. But it can count to one lots of times, and it knows how to translate that into all sorts of human numbers.

Pete (just described most digital computing)

a python programming course

Looks like a Cobra course to me.
Why don't you like fun?

Pete (laughs)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:
tumorous wrote:
I have Cats, but they don't ever count anything even though they have toes. How does a Python count past 1?
It doesn't. But it can count to one lots of times, and it knows how to translate that into all sorts of human numbers.

Why don't you like fun?

Pete (laughs)

Cobras is also a programming language, so there was no reason to say python.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:
tumorous wrote:

Why don't you like fun?

Pete (laughs)

Cobras is also a programming language, so there was no reason to say python.
I was actually unaware of that...

Pete (has to admit that you added fun instead of subtracting it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:
tumorous wrote:

Diversity mandates
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
Except -- in the past, when someone posted something offensive; most (not me; but most others, I hear) would get an email saying, "you *will* be moderated, unless you remove this offensive content." That provided an element of restorative justice.

Now, it would appear, that opportunity is lost.

Not always... if it was a recurring antagonist, they were insta-modded and only found out post-modding. So, at that point, the incentive for restorative justice was reduced to zero.

And most disruptors, partic the sock and alt accounts, don't give two shits about the moderation - they just want to leave that mark.

This is a phenomenal change in the way the threads are managed. I will be a sum of cash money that the level of disruptions drop, as there is now zero lasting effect of the effort (by the grenade lobber).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Lemur wrote:
Except -- in the past, when someone posted something offensive; most (not me; but most others, I hear) would get an email saying, "you *will* be moderated, unless you remove this offensive content." That provided an element of restorative justice.

Now, it would appear, that opportunity is lost.

The benefit of the old system is that you could look at the moderated posts and thing, "ooh, that guy really had it coming." Now you're left to wonder if he had it coming or not if you didn't see it.

Of course, that's the whole point. In some cases what's said is so bad that maybe we don't want to see it at all. But with all the "evidence" deleted, when that person comes whining to the complaint forum, we won't know for sure if we need to make fun of him or not.

Pete (is not positional at all on the change, but sees some of the problems it might cause going forward)

As if the mod's needed our OK. That is just ego strokin'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

95% of collapsed posts get disciplinary action.

I haven't run the numbers (I don't think they can be run, actually) so I don't know how accurate it is. My guesstimate is that it is too high a percentage.

And my guesstimate is that you're wrong!

Don't ban me pls.

But seriously, I almost never come across a collapsed post that didn't violate a rule. But I don't see every thread.

Every plonked thread is collapsed, so how would you account for that factor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

I haven't run the numbers (I don't think they can be run, actually) so I don't know how accurate it is. My guesstimate is that it is too high a percentage.

Don't ban me pls.

But seriously, I almost never come across a collapsed post that didn't violate a rule. But I don't see every thread.

I have very few plonked people. Only 1 that I ever see post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

Don't ban me pls.

But we can agree that you and others are not the same, therefore the collapsed posts for some may be different than yours?

Anyway, I started to read this silly side-road discussion on P1, and now realize that even this post is a waste - in response to the discussion, but you know.. had to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:

But we can agree that you and others are not the same, therefore the collapsed posts for some may be different than yours?

I think everyone assumed we were talking about posts that are collapsed for everyone, not people from our plonk lists. I know I certainly was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This film's crap, let's slash the seats
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Whose guess is more correct is secondary to the larger point that collapsed posts are only a fraction of total moderated posts. So using collapsed posts as a metric of what is allowed is not only not a complete picture, but in some instances could be a misleading one.

In fact, from personal experience I can say that there seems to be at least a correlation between moderated posts and posts that I got a large number of thumbs for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

Don't ban me pls.

I've never blocked anyone. And, I have my threshold turned off. I'm solidly confident in my ability to read most anything; and I'm blessed with perspective to realize that someone with a different opinion than I, with no power to put his/her opinion into "law" isn't really worth being upset over.

But, I've - obviously - been unhappy with the moderation in the past (not to me -- I've been moderated twice, and both times - after the moderation was up, I was told, "Yeah, you shouldn't have been suspended for that!" - but, of course, since no one can actually turn back time; that does me little good.

So, I'm dubious that this is a good thing, personally. I was really just trying to reconcile it with the "official" policy I'd been told in the past (and, now, when I look at certain threads; I see 2 posts, then 2 "removed by" then 1 post, then 1 "removed by" and so on and so on. Seems ... inelegant, at best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:

But, I've - obviously - been unhappy with the moderation in the past (not to me -- I've been moderated twice, and both times - after the moderation was up, I was told, "Yeah, you shouldn't have been suspended for that!" - but, of course, since no one can actually turn back time; that does me little good.

I've went back to our geekmail exchanges to confirm that this is not true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:

I've never blocked anyone. And, I have my threshold turned off. I'm solidly confident in my ability to read most anything; and I'm blessed with perspective to realize that someone with a different opinion than I, with no power to put his/her opinion into "law" isn't really worth being upset over.

So, I'm dubious that this is a good thing, personally. I was really just trying to reconcile it with the "official" policy I'd been told in the past (and, now, when I look at certain threads; I see 2 posts, then 2 "removed by" then 1 post, then 1 "removed by" and so on and so on. Seems ... inelegant, at best.

Where do you draw the line? If I come into threads on the Agricola to tell them that I hate Agricola and that we shouldn't be discussing the game apart from how much it sucks would that be ok? Because I think the situation with the thread in the W&G forum was similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:

All my suspensions had the reason "because you're too sexy for this world" in the emails.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
Octavian wrote:

All my suspensions had the reason "because you're too sexy for this world" in the emails.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More seriously, I do approve of the new "warnings not suspensions" shift.

I can honestly say it's more effective, at least as far as I'm concerned.

I tend to take a warning as a polite "shut the hell up now" and I'm a lot more likely to take note of it, even if I don't agree with it.

The problem with suspensions is that they're after the fact and so don't really alter my behaviour. I'm not going to try and second guess moderation so all they achieve is removing me from the problem thread for a few days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Lemur wrote:

You'll need to look harder, I guess.

Jan 1, 11:28pm

I had written a list of things I thought should change re: moderation. My #2 was "warnings could be issued, rather than just one-day suspensions"

Your reply was:

I completely agree with #2 - that was a mistake. We will sometimes jump someone up a step in severe cases, but yours was by no means a severe case.

I don't know how else to interpret that except the way I did -- you're suggesting I either lied about it or it was intended a different way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
You were moderated twice. In the first you called another user "dumb". In the second you made a political joke in a non-political thread. Both resulted in a one day suspension.

The discussion you are citing happened after the second incident. The discussion did not happen both times, and the second violation would normally have resulted in a one day suspension anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
The good news is that the new moderating policy we are finalizing gets us away from the short suspensions model entirely. For most violations the result will be the offending comment being removed by the moderator and a warning message sent to the OP to help prevent it from being repeated in the future. Suspensions will be reserved only for particularly severe incidents or frequent repeat offenders.

I think the new system has already been a positive change. It has come about after a lot of discussions with a number of people who have persuaded me that some things needed to change with our moderation policies. I am the first to admit that it took me longer than it should have to listen. I am very thankful for their patience and persistence in dialoguing with me to get me to better understand their points of view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacq L
New Zealand
flag msg tools
What are YOU lookin at?
badge
poof
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
I will be a sum of cash money that the level of disruptions drop, as there is now zero lasting effect of the effort (by the grenade lobber).

Me too, and it'll go right into BGG at the end of year drive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacqland wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
I will be a sum of cash money that the level of disruptions drop, as there is now zero lasting effect of the effort (by the grenade lobber).

I was confused by my own post, but then I realized that my comment should have been...

"I will bet a sum of cash-money that..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
Jacqland wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

I was confused by my own post, but then I realized that my comment should have been...

"I will bet a sum of cash-money that..."

All good. We were working with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Octavian wrote:
For most violations the result will be the offending comment being removed by the moderator and a warning message sent to the OP to help prevent it from being repeated in the future.

If a reply quotes something that was mod-deleted and also makes some other points, will you delete the entire quoting post or just the quote (and I guess any direct response to the quote)? Does the quoting user get a chance to amend their post first or is it immediate deletion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
You were moderated twice. In the first you called another user "dumb". In the second you made a political joke in a non-political thread. Both resulted in a one day suspension.

The discussion you are citing happened after the second incident. The discussion did not happen both times, and the second violation would normally have resulted in a one day suspension anyways.

Correct. The first time - I received a message that if I removed my post (where I quoted someone who insulted me) that I would have my suspension removed/reduced - or, at the very least, it would be expunged from my record.

Having never received even a warning, I was shocked. I did the deletion. Of course, I never heard anything back until after the suspension had completed; and - clearly - it wasn't expunged.

You're right - the second incident was the one I was quoting. Again, I'll quote:

ME: #2: Warnings could be issued, rather than just one-day suspensions

YOU: I completely agree with #2 - that was a mistake. We will sometimes jump someone up a step in severe cases, but yours was by no means a severe case.

So ... if you DIDN'T mean it shouldn't have been a suspension, what did you mean by "it was a mistake?"

This is all, mostly, secondary to my OP, but I think it does speak to the concern some have (including me) - that moderation now will be even less measured than previously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.