Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not saying that Matt should in any way take this into account when doing his job, but I get a lot less entertainment from knowing that a train has wrecked than I do from actually watching it wreck.

Pete (misses the spectacle)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
plezercruz wrote:
I am not saying that Matt should in any way take this into account when doing his job, but I get a lot less entertainment from knowing that a train has wrecked than I do from actually watching it wreck.

That's part of the point.

I too (sometimes) enjoy watching the train wreck, but I enjoy a forum where the train wreck doesn't derail the threads all the time even more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Take it easy baby, take it as it comes ... (The Doors)
badge
Enjoy Life! Just do it!
mbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

I too (sometimes) enjoy watching the train wreck, but I enjoy a forum where the train wreck doesn't derail the threads all the time even more.

After a while now, I have come to the same conclusion.
Generally I still don't like censorship, but lurking in RSP intensively lately, I started to appreciate some kind of moderation.

What really feels bad is having a thread locked and/or being dumped into a "distant" forum.
At least the forum should be more visible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

True, but the tail might be wagging the dog here. Sure, RSP and its ilk might need more aggressive moderation, but if the measures taken to get those groups in line expand and affect our standard gaming forums...well that kind of sucks.

Pete (thinks private moderation was working quite well in most of the forums on this site)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Pete (thinks private moderation was working quite well in most of the forums on this site)

In threads which touched certain topics (which prove to be lightning rods for disruptive posts) (and I'm sure you can think of some such topics) it was not working well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

In threads which touched certain topics (which prove to be lightning rods for disruptive posts) (and I'm sure you can think of some such topics) it was not working well.

Exactly. Some contagions spread slowly, while others go from infection to death at lightning speed. Having walked the plains for a long time, I'm glad that latter are being dropped the moment they start to exhibit, as I have witnessed many virtual interactions- and they all share the same basic plotlines. It is pretty easy to read which way they are headed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This film's crap, let's slash the seats
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
True, but the tail might be wagging the dog here. Sure, RSP and its ilk might need more aggressive moderation, but if the measures taken to get those groups in line expand and affect our standard gaming forums...well that kind of sucks.

I can tell you haven't been active in RSP for a bit. These days it's mostly self moderating; moreso than the rest of the forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

I can tell you haven't been active in RSP for a bit. These days it's mostly self moderating; moreso than the rest of the forum.

I think most of BGG could be self-moderating. Most of the internet is (or maybe I just go places where most people think, "hmm - that's his/her opinion; and, since he/she isn't actually a senator, their opinion really isn't worth getting worked up over."

But, with self-moderationg, there's no public flaying or pound of flesh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
plezercruz wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

This didn't come from RSP. As has been noted many times, RSP tends to be a much nicer place than the general forums.

Quote:

And in this you are simply wrong. Let's start with the basic issue - the aggrieved never, ever got to see any form of redress. The abuse against them was left to pollute the forum forever, no matter how vile, and there was often nothing to suggest that anything had been done by the admins (because Octavian's big red notes are far less common than most people think).

And then there's the big issue - that previous moderation policies did absolutely nothing to prevent derailing of threads. We can already see that the new policy does prevent this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:

As has been noted many times, RSP tends to be a much nicer place than the general forums.

Well, once we banned like 20 racists anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This post has been removed by a moderator.
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.