Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Let's get one thing straight about Talisman... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew R
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
There has been much debate on here as to whether Talisman has any strategy or if it is just pure luck. You are missing the true purpose of Talisman.... It's an RPG lite that is intended to be mixed with drinking. Is there a trigger where one must take a drink? No. You just drink and play and keep drinking and playing deep into the night. Sure there are few nasty fights over the rules that sometimes come to blows but in the end, no one can remember who exactly won anyway. End of story.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
talisman_stl wrote:
There has been much debate on here as to whether Talisman has any strategy or if it is just pure luck. You are missing the true purpose of Talisman.... It's an RPG lite that is intended to be mixed with drinking. Is there a trigger where one must take a drink? No. You just drink and play and keep drinking and playing deep into the night. Sure there are few nasty fights over the rules that sometimes come to blows but in the end, no one can remember who exactly won anyway. End of story.


I disagree, I love Talisman and do not drink. gulp yuk
20 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DomaGB wrote:
talisman_stl wrote:
There has been much debate on here as to whether Talisman has any strategy or if it is just pure luck. You are missing the true purpose of Talisman.... It's an RPG lite that is intended to be mixed with drinking. Is there a trigger where one must take a drink? No. You just drink and play and keep drinking and playing deep into the night. Sure there are few nasty fights over the rules that sometimes come to blows but in the end, no one can remember who exactly won anyway. End of story.


I disagree, I love Talisman and do not drink. gulp yuk

Same here, but I see where the OP is coming from. Many of those who dislike the game may do well to think of it as more of an old school beer and pretzels Ameritrash game than something of modern design philosophy.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Mullin

Belfast
N.Ireland
msg tools
badge
I'm Agricultured!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a mixed opinion on Talisman, but at the very least I owe it for bringing me into the world of boardgaming. I can definitely see where the OP is coming from - take this famous talisman tale:
https://therewillbe.games/articles-rants-a-raves/5790-apples
4 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Magius wrote:
DomaGB wrote:
talisman_stl wrote:
There has been much debate on here as to whether Talisman has any strategy or if it is just pure luck. You are missing the true purpose of Talisman.... It's an RPG lite that is intended to be mixed with drinking. Is there a trigger where one must take a drink? No. You just drink and play and keep drinking and playing deep into the night. Sure there are few nasty fights over the rules that sometimes come to blows but in the end, no one can remember who exactly won anyway. End of story.


I disagree, I love Talisman and do not drink. gulp yuk

Same here, but I see where the OP is coming from. Many of those who dislike the game may do well to think of it as more of an old school beer and pretzels Ameritrash game than something of modern design philosophy.

Exactly! If you're playing Talisman to try to get a modern design out of it then you're going to be disappointed. Personally, I was tired of overly complex, convoluted rules and deep thinky gameplay. I don't mind those things, but it seems to be that there's a ton more of those that people go for now, and I wanted something lighter. That's what drew me to Talisman and caused me to fall in love with it. Yes, with expansions the rules can get more convoluted, but the game is never hard. It's meant to be a fun Mt. Dew and Pretzels game for us non-drinkers, lol.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
Roll 1d6 and consult the table below.*
badge
*If you encounter the squid in the desert, it is a flying squid.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can count on a single, table-saw-truncated hand the number of games that have made me feel like this:

TALISMANGLER II: THE RETALISMANGLING

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reilly
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
I can count on a single, table-saw-truncated hand the number of games that have made me feel like this:

TALISMANGLER II: THE RETALISMANGLING


Your tales are truly nothing short of bardic extravagance. I loved reading them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Beijer
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is more luck than strategy. But having a plan and playing to your characters strengths certainly matters.

Experience is a valuable tool too. Rarely does a newcomer win straight away, at least not without anyone overguiding him or her. Just picking up some tricks by playing alot is no doubt valuable in terms of increasing your odds of winning.

No alcohol needed 🗿
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I love gloomhaven, but sometimes I just want to play a game without my brain exploding from rules and action tracking, that’s why come back to talisman timea and again (since 1986). Llike many others it was my gateway to the board game world, so will always hold a special place in my collection and 4th Edition was my re entry to modern board gaming.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathias van butsele
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes if you are lucky during the game you may have a few strategy
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls