Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Webster
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of our group had recently returned from the Mensa Mind Games Gathering, and had a lot of new games, including Tongiaki. He was the only one of our group of six who had played before, so he sat out the first game and oversaw developments while the rest of us learned.

Several players were very gung ho to discover new islands, and had no qualms about sending a group of their own 3 boats into unknown waters. Needless to say, they lost boats at an alarming rate, but this tactic also had the side effect of plowing through the stack of tiles at an even more alarming rate. After losing many of their boats, the option to start over was an attractive one, allowing them to turn over even more tiles. I believe in my first game I had <6 turns before the game ended, hardly enough to get a decent strategy going. The first game winner (NOT one of the mad explorers) had a paltry 15 points, with the rest of us barely hitting double digits.

The second game was a more of the same, although a little better. The game owner stepped back in to make it a full six players, which meant we had to wait even longer between turns. There was still some reckless exploration, but it seemed to pay off more often than not, so the point totals were a little higher. The winner had around 22 points, with most of us fairly close. His strategy was to establish a good number of boats (4+) on an island while the others sailed off into oblivion, then send a few off to explore on their own, which luckily paid off as he kept drawing island tiles.

The general feeling at the table was that the game was overly lucky, but I feel that this impression was heavily influenced by the strategies of the players. Properly played, this game seems like it would have great depth (pun intended). I'll wait to pass final judgement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasen Robillard
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Session Report
AZGreg (#35898),

I agree. I've introduced this game twice to two different gaming groups. One group was fairly new to gaming and they were overly aggressive in exploring, resulting in a game very similar to yours. When I introduced this to my seasoned gaming group, they were much more patient. However, we were six playing and the game felt quite random. I think the new 6 player rules (3 teams of 2) would make for a vastly improved game. With the new rule variants, I'd hazard to guess that the optimal number of players is now 2,3 or 6 players - quite unique!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.