Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to be swamped during the time we normally do this, so we're going now!

First and foremost, the #1 rule by far is:
This is just for fun!

For the past four years we've run the 1-Player Guild's People's Choice Top 100 Solo Games List. It was a lot of fun both to run as well as see the results. So we're back again this year. We increased from 86 to 477 people voting during this time as well as listing 812 different games last year!

If you are interested in the results of last year's list, it is here: 2017 People's Choice Top 100 Solo Games (100-1) +(101-200) Bonus

The inspiration for this comes from the Dice Tower's People's Choice top 100 Games.

I believe the volume is still manageable so we'll ask for entries to be sent via Geekmail (to me). Put 2018 Top 100 Solo as the subject please. Also, if you send your list and want to revise it, just send me a new list but please point out that it's a revised list.

What we're looking for is a list of your top (up to) 20 games in order from #1 to #20. While perhaps there are better ways to do this, scoring is simple. Your #1 choice gets 20 points, #2 gets 19 ... If you have less than 20 games that's fine, but I'm going to cut it off at a minimum of 5.

Note that say you have 5 games, you have list them 1-5. You could weigh them yourself (e.g. #1-GameA, #5-GameB, #10-GameC... So GameA=20pts, GameB=16Pts, GameC=11pts.)

The first tie breaker this year will be average score, followed by Total # of votes for the game. The third if applicable will be how many #1 votes did it receive. If still tied, I'll break the tie and note it.

Please be specific in the game you're voting for. "Legendary" isn't specific enough. Often the person meant Marvel Legendary, but sometimes they meant Legendary Encounters.

We are looking for physical board games you play solo. So if you love a game where you play both sides, feel free to include it. If you play a Co-op game playing multiple characters, include it. We don't want computer games or implementations of a board game where you play because the device provides an opponent.
Some examples:
- Eclipse on an iPad where the device provides opposition doesn't count.
- Ghost Stories on an iPad would count because it's exactly the same as playing the physical game.
- Suburbia on a device doesn't count because it's not the same game, but if you play the suburbia solo mode with the physical game then count it.
- Physical games with apps like Mansions of Madness, XCom, Descent count.
- Print and Play games are definitely welcome.
- Do not vote for expansions. If you believe an expansion makes the game, you can mention that in the comments when the games are revealed.

We'll reveal the results slowly starting in November.

Deadline for submissions: Oct 31st Nov 4th, 2018. (because of vacation)

Send me (kerskine) a geekmail with the subject "2018 Top 100 Solo" with your votes from 1-20 (1 is your favorite). If for some reason you change your mind then send a new geekmail with a clear note that you want this to count instead of your original vote.

Put each game on a different line.
e.g.
1-Solitaire
2-
3-Arkham Horror (1987 Version)

Lastly, anyone can vote. You don't have to be a member of the 1-Player Guild. But if you aren't, we hope you'll consider joining. It's truly a fantastic group of people.

Note: If you're asking me a question in Geekmail, give it a subject different than Top 100 Solo so I look at it immediately otherwise I'll do them in batches.

And finally, one last reminder that I can't stress enough.
This is just for fun!

Thank you everyone who participates, I know a lot of people really enjoy this and the final product turns into a great list to help people new to solo gaming.

===================================================================
Note: As far as combining games, if a game is pretty much just an expansion of the same game (e.g. The two core boxes of Shadows of Brimstone), I will combine them. If it's a completely different game then I'll leave them separate and you can vote for both. (e.g. Pandemic and Pandemic Legacy Season 1) I'll try to be fairly consistent, but if I mess up some, please refer to rule #1!

For more fun go over to Morten's Blog and join in his contest!
The 2018 People’s Choice Top 100 Solo Games Meta Contest
List is up:
2018 People's Choice Top 100 Solo Games (100-1) And Bonus (101-200)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty "on a short summer break" Malone
United States
Mansfield
Texas
flag msg tools
Knowledge is light
badge
Be the Change
mbmbmbmbmb
Already submitted my votes.

Let the fun begin.

Thanks so much Kevin for starting this and maintaining the tradition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Auxier
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I only have like 30 games I want to get played this month before I submit my list. That's doable, right? I love putting this list together and seeing the results so much each year. Thanks for putting in the work to do it again, Kevin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang, you people are fast!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
kerskine wrote:
I think a lot of us are sort of working on our list all year now. Getting my votes in now has two benefits:

1. It lightens your burden toward the end of the month.
2. It saves me from driving myself crazy, micro-adjusting my rankings over the next month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lSweetJusticel wrote:
kerskine wrote:
I think a lot of us are sort of working on our list all year now. Getting my votes in now has two benefits:

2. It saves me from driving myself crazy, micro-adjusting my rankings over the next month.

Much appreciated. I seem to get a lot the first two days and the last week. The middle part is a steady amount every day.

The worst part is a see a red number and I think "Oh I have Geekmail!" and of course, it's just another vote
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oda
msg tools
But if it were me, I'd really wanna be, a giant woman.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Votes in, thanks Kevin!
(My 2018 Top 20 Solo Games)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone going to put together a Meta GL? That was fun last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
ORVAULT
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang, the site I used to sort my list is down : [geekurl=http://gimli.morningside.edu/~tra001/sites/BracketSort.html][/geekurl]

how am I gonna my list ?????????
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Auxier
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flaeryn wrote:

I agree. It was great last year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haplo92 wrote:
Dang, the site I used to sort my list is down : [geekurl=http://gimli.morningside.edu/~tra001/sites/BracketSort.html][/geekurl]

Use this one instead:
https://www.pubmeeple.com/board-game-ranking-engine/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
ORVAULT
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kerskine wrote:
haplo92 wrote:

Use this one instead:
https://www.pubmeeple.com/board-game-ranking-engine/

many thanks to you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kerskine wrote:
lSweetJusticel wrote:
kerskine wrote:

Much appreciated. I seem to get a lot the first two days and the last week. The middle part is a steady amount every day.

The worst part is a see a red number and I think "Oh I have Geekmail!" and of course, it's just another vote

LOL, I have that reaction to geekmail too! (Today, though, I got an actual star!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Bartlett
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WTH happened to 2018! My year disappeared before my eyes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Bartlett
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slowmow wrote:
Can't wait to get my votes in! First time for me! Important stuff:
1. Meet with my boss (in progress)
2. Make top 20 list of solo game
3. Feed spawn (aka child)... (Pending vocal alarm)

I def feel like my 1 and 2 Y/O son's are spawns these days! They are trouble for sure, cant wait for these terrible two years to be done.. But you know what they say, enjoy all times and ages because you cant get that time and period back... They will be grown men before I now it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Bartlett
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oduh wrote:
Votes in, thanks Kevin!
(My 2018 Top 20 Solo Games)

Im not sure if I should look at this or not! Your lists have cost me $$ in the past! lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bartlett82 wrote:
Slowmow wrote:

I def feel like my 1 and 2 Y/O son's are spawns these days! They are trouble for sure, cant wait for these terrible two years to be done.. But you know what they say, enjoy all times and ages because you cant get that time and period back... They will be grown men before I now it...

I feel like parents say to enjoy those ages because so much time has passed and they don't remember being in the thick of it. From birth to 2 years old were definitely a fog for me. There was a lot of enjoyment, but a lot work as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Bartlett
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
usfbrown wrote:
bartlett82 wrote:
Slowmow wrote:

I feel like parents say to enjoy those ages because so much time has passed and they don't remember being in the thick of it. From birth to 2 years old were definitely a fog for me. There was a lot of enjoyment, but a lot work as well.

Yea for sure, I both enjoy these times and dread them.. I wish we had more people that could watch them for us, we def need a much needed breather... A few more years they will calm down some, I just need to remember to remain calm and be a good role model for them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ting Lawrence
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flaeryn wrote:

Wow - you guys are fast this year! I will post a Meta GL tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, my list didn't change too much from last year. I've been doing a fair bit of solo gaming, but apparently not much in the way of acquisitions. It'll be interesting to see what 2018 titles people have gravitated toward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yikes, I'm not ready for this yet! Where did the year go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark K.
Austria
Vienna
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy to participate for the first time this year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason (sans nation)
Germany
March
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bartlett82 wrote:
WTH happened to 2018! My year disappeared before my eyes!

Tell me about it. Seems like a good opportunity to wish everyone a Happy Christmas...

Thanks, as ever, for doing this, Kevin - and for bringing my favourite time of the year forward. With our emigration coming up I was going to have to do this early... I guess I’ll just draw a line under anything that Games Quest had promised to deliver a sodding month ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty "on a short summer break" Malone
United States
Mansfield
Texas
flag msg tools
Knowledge is light
badge
Be the Change
mbmbmbmbmb
my list is drastically different.

Kevin has already GM'd me back to make sure I didn't make a mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
You can go off and rule the universe from beyond the grave.
badge
Or check into a psycho ward, which ever comes first, huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ran through my probable rankings and it looks like I have 23 that stand above the rest. Plus, I have close to 10 other games I need to play and rank. (Setting up Apocalypse Chaos right now, in fact.)

Looking forward to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [15] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.