Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myladies, Gentlemen,

Welcome to the 24 hour contest October 2018.

Before participating, please read the

basic rules-/discussion-/subscription thread

We still have got supporters!
Standing ovations for

Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb

who offered to tip 10 for the winner of a month's contest.

Also

Nancy Hutchins
United States
Harvard
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

donated 1000 to be tipped in steps of 100 beginning from March 2018 through December 2018! YAY!

And many thanks to

Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

who offered 10 for each contest from September 2017 - September 2018!

And due to a most generous tip by

michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
designer
playtesthub.firebaseapp.com
badge
patreon.com/theTrueMikeBrown
mbmbmbmbmb

you can win 20 from February 2018 up to March 2020!!!

For possessing three bunnies,

Jeff Clarke
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Enjoy Your Life!!
badge
Game On!
mbmbmbmbmb

donated 100 wow

So, for this month 230 have been tipped! YEEEHAW!

And we've got a microbadge you can buy, if you want to show the world, that you participated in the 24 hour contest:

24 Hour Contest participant

Thanks to

'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

for creating the badge!

October has started ..
Did you know, where October has its name from?
From the Latin word "octo". Means "eight". For the Romans, October has been the 8th month of the year - not the 10th as it is for us.
So, this month's requirement is:

eight

Remember: The requirement is just a requirement - not necessarily a theme! It's up to you, how you involve it in your game!
(Bonus points for totally not including Han in your game ...)

Happy designing and kind regards,
Kai

p.s.:

In the behaviour rules (see link to basic rules thread above) I've written:
Quote:
Please create a second posting in that thread to present your creation.

Please do present your game along with a short description in a posting. The reason I ask you to do this is simple: Creating geeklist entries becomes easier for me because from time to time copy-n-pasting from PDFs produces unexpected results (such as copying only odd symbols into the clipboard ..)
Thanks a lot

And if you'd like to spread the word of this contest, feel free to tweet about it:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
The Evil... The Chaotic... The Wallaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Started today about an hour ago. Here's a finished prototype. AHA! A 2-8 player dice deduction game.
In AHA! you place dice in your collection and a shared pool, trying to gain points based on a rule your neighbor knows. When you determine the rule, you spend your points to purchase a guess. Any player to guess the rule correctly in the same round wins.

As its name implies it has a maximum of 8 players. It also uses an 8 sided die to determine 8 rules. Technically, if you have enough D8's you can play using just D8's, but I recommend D6's since they are easier to acquire.

(No printable components. Just dice.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XendoBreckett wrote:
Started today about an hour ago. Here's a finished prototype. AHA! A 2-8 player dice deduction game.
In AHA! you place dice in your collection and a shared pool, trying to gain points based on a rule your neighbor knows. When you determine the rule, you spend your points to purchase a guess. Any player to guess the rule correctly in the same round wins.

As its name implies it has a maximum of 8 players. It also uses an 8 sided die to determine 8 rules. Technically, if you have enough D8's you can play using just D8's, but I recommend D6's since they are easier to acquire.

Wow, that was quick! Good work!

Don't forget to format your entry post as per the rules so you don't get missed out for the voting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Easiest theme yet.
I design most of my games based on the number 8 already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
polyobsessive wrote:
XendoBreckett wrote:

Wow, that was quick! Good work!

Don't forget to format your entry post as per the rules so you don't get missed out for the voting.

Thanks Rob. I'm going back today (I started late last night) to create the cards, so that I can remove the D8 requirement. Then the game will play with any dice. That will help me to have some way to include the details he needs for the entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! A number! I like this requirement. I hope to get a game in for this, this month!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AHA! Version 1.0 of printable components. This is 16 cards, including 8 player aids and 8 scoring cards.

(FOR GEEKLIST ENTRY)

AHA! is a very simple yet cerebral dice deduction game for 2-8 players. Each player receives a rule that applies to how his neighbor scores points. Your objective is to score points and spend them to guess which rule applies to you. The game plays over a maximum of 3 rounds in about 8 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Thul
msg tools
Eight... Hmm. Such a good number, when there are 8 bits in a byte, octaves in music, the name Octavius if you want to go Roman... Plus less inspiring things like an octopus, an 8 ball in pool/billiards, or 8 slices in a pizza.

I'm gonna have to give this a go, albeit later, when I have time to mull over ideas a bit more and see if I can use deck-building without shuffling or some other sort of programming / sequencing in something computer-esque. And maybe not about hacking? I've never played a good game about hacking or seem a good rendition of it in a movie because real hacking is so incredibly NOT cinematic or cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Walker
United Kingdom
HANTS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider me in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Walker
United Kingdom
HANTS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please accept my entry into this month's competition

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gkzhfxuklvm2cyk/AAAbi4TGYdVRwsQqM...

My game is 8-Bit Battle, a simple dice based Monster Battle Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Thul
msg tools
Starting now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, I discovered a typo in Aha! that makes the game broken. We playtested last night and did still enjoy it, but those typos must be fixed. Therefore, I am going to withdraw my entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Anstey
Wales
Barry
Vale of Glamorgan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an idea that's probably over-ambitious. Let's see... Starting now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Thul
msg tools
Well no game will be forthcoming from me. Lessons learned though:

1) Probably have some experience with solo games before trying to make a solo game, even if playtesting sounds easier.

2) I had a system where bad cubes were being dumped on the player at varying rates, but there was almost zero tension because you could remove any cube with actions. Basically, it was Pandemic without the spacial element of having to go where the disease cubes are to cure them, so it just became a slow grind of removing cubes and performing your turn with what actions were left.

3) Going backwards feels really bad. The concept was that the player represents an artificial intelligence that is nearing self awareness, trying to grow, remove certain safety protocols, explore the network to find the internet, and hopefully not be deleted by a virus on said network. I thought that playing cards in numerical sequence to improve your stats could be cool, because you might have to “refactor” and remove some cards to get a number into a gap you previously skipped. But undoing your work to do it better felt not-fun because you had to go backwards to make forward progress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Anstey
Wales
Barry
Vale of Glamorgan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've "finished". Not much playtesting and no proof reading, but I think it's playable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Anstey
Wales
Barry
Vale of Glamorgan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Otto VIII

A historical two to three player print and play game based on the late Holy Roman Empire.

1648 in the Holy Roman Empire of the (fictional) Otto VIII, descendant of the (real) Otto I. The states are highly fragmented. You repressent one of the factions trying to unify the states. Each turn you will roll dice to determine the actions available. These include gaining esources, trade and industry, using political influence, fighting the French and supporting the arts. The winner will be the player with the most points, mostly from unification, but also from the arts.

Map sheet / Dice action sheet / Player sheet:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ljoSvEX4BKdNkanrFbwRVo89-Z...

Rules:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Wsj26-iF-U951Ye1oJTo25MFg7...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sjoerd Slagman
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starting now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor O'Brien
msg tools
Bits
What a fun theme! This is the first time I've tried one of these (or shared any game design for that matter).

Here is Bits. You use logic gate cards to manipulate bits until there is a full byte (8-bits) on the table. Then you score points based on how many of your target numbers are present in the final sequence. (For example, you would score 10 points if the pattern DARK - LIGHT - DARK - LIGHT appeared in the final sequence).

There are 56 logic gates cards and 255 number cards. It is definitely possible to play with less than all 255 number cards, so you may want to selectively print pages from the PnP to match your needs.

Cards
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ECSecL1mYKIqQHEiKiFVVcHqG-_...

Rules
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1chQk3aDCxiIsex-kD4dbGJC1cob...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sjoerd Slagman
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SjoerdS wrote:
Starting now.

Here it is:
Pl8est

Making a game about a bunch of kids escaping a castle, how difficult can it be? But, what if, they design the game themselves? So many things to agree upon: number of players, length of the game, size of the gameboard, number of cards… The kids decide that it is best to agree to disagree and just use all the rules they came up with. Time for playtesting!

Goal of the game
Starting in the middle of the castle the players have to escape, swim the moat and run to the green meadow on either corner of the gameboard, the one who reaches the meadow first will be declared the winner. However, getting there is not so straightforward as the rules of the game change each round and you might not have the same amount of playing time as your opponents have. Strategically changing board size, hand size and how often players get to play their turn will win you the game!

Rules:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m1jrvkv6360d3ln/Pl8est%20-%20rules...

PnP components:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/unlb9861ck9cvce/Pl8est%20-%20print...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Restart now.

RULES SCRATCHED. SEE LINK BELOW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor O'Brien
msg tools
tlrobrn wrote:
What a fun theme! This is the first time I've tried one of these (or shared any game design for that matter).

Here is Bits. You use logic gate cards to manipulate bits until there is a full byte (8-bits) on the table. Then you score points based on how many of your target numbers are present in the final sequence. (For example, you would score 10 points if the pattern DARK - LIGHT - DARK - LIGHT appeared in the final sequence).

There are 56 logic gates cards and 255 number cards. It is definitely possible to play with less than all 255 number cards, so you may want to selectively print pages from the PnP to match your needs.

Cards
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ECSecL1mYKIqQHEiKiFVVcHqG-_...

Rules
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1chQk3aDCxiIsex-kD4dbGJC1cob...

Shoot, copy-paste error on the NOR card. I'm outside my 24 hours now, so I'll let my submission stand. The link to the fixed cards is below for completeness, but should not be considered part of the 24-hour design for voting purposes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YAKPs0IIlfPUvbNzdasj0TOmlwL...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules changed/simplified. Theme changed. Name Changed. Crazy few hours. Sometimes, you see some really cool CC0 artwork and you just get inspired.

OBSCURITY PDF

INFO: Obscurity is a simultaneous selection card game that can be Cooperative, All-vs-1, or Team depending on the round. The first player to score 40 points wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Walker
United Kingdom
HANTS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amended as there was a spelling/grammar error
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a few rules clarifications. (Naturally, I designed this late last night so there were a number of steps missing.) Components are the same.

If you have the opportunity to give feedback, particularly in the next few hours, please post in this thread: Obscurity: Seeking Testers/Proof Readers. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XendoBreckett wrote:
Unfortunately, I discovered a typo in Aha! that makes the game broken. We playtested last night and did still enjoy it, but those typos must be fixed. Therefore, I am going to withdraw my entry.

And, for the record, this design contest is about getting ideas out there for me, and I don't worry about winning as much as designing a fun gaming experience. That said, I updated the components for Aha! so that the game can be played again. (Remember, it is not a part of this contest. It may have taken 5 minutes to correct, but by doing so, I feel it would be cheating. Anyhow, I think it is an enjoyable gaming experience, but I highly recommend giving your attention to the designs in this contest first.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.