Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Weber
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Why Is A Song The World For Me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it? I havent played either game, but the tile placement looks similar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balaji Iyengar
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
Valandil (God-friend)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Viceroy and can only talk about it.

Looking at both of the games from a VERY BROAD perspective, there are some similar elements like building a pyramid, and having a very tight economy.

BUT

Viceroy has a blind bidding mechanism which Orbis does not have at all.
also,
in Viceroy, each card may be placed in any level. The benefits would depend on where it's placed. You had that much of freedom at least.

In Orbis, I believe it's a lot tighter. There are color restrictions of cards regarding where they can be placed. Also, the way each and every card scores on the upper level depends on what's around them. Most importantly, you can flip a card to it's barren side and use it as a placeholder.

So.. different mechanics, tighter economy, different rule sets. But yeah you are building a pyramid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Weber
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Why Is A Song The World For Me?
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, thank you for your thoughts

i wanted to pick up orbis, but today got viceroy on a whim cause i saw it for 10€.

so now im wondering if i should still go for orbis. yes the way you are acquiring the tiles is different, but the main focus in both seems to be on the laying of the tiles.

and from watching videos of the two, it looks like there are more things to consider and more interesting decisions to be made in viceroy.

like you say, orbis looks to be tighter, this is my impression, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Avelar
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Orbis and haven't played Viceroy. I loved Orbis and just saw Viceroy on Kickstarter. I think Orbis would be easier for me to get to the table. I also don't think I could have both in my collection even though the Viceroy Kickstarter looks good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both. I wouldn't say Orbis is tighter. In fact if anything, it feels a bit weird how easy it is to get cubes. And while Orbis does have a general restriction of placing tiles 9have to match the color of one of the tiles below it), most tiles don't really have much spatial significance., whereas in Viceroy it felt harder both to get the resources you need, and more factors to consider in choosing the location for tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.