Recommend
54 
 Thumb up
 Hide
189 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 

Concordia Venus» Forums » General

Subject: Differences between Concordia Venus and the Venus Expansion for Concordia rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
PD-Verlag
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Concordia Venus (standalone, box is 7cm deep)

GAME MATERIAL

233 Wooden Pieces
• 90 houses
• 18 sea colonists
• 18 land colonists
• 6 scoring markers
• 100 individually shaped units of goods
• 1 playing order marker

Cardboard Pieces
• 6 storehouses
• 30 city tokens
• 24 bonus markers
• coins (as 1, 2, 5, 10 Sestertii)
• 1 card display
• 1 Praefectus Magnus

110 Cards
• 102 personality cards
• 6 player aids
• 1 Concordia
• 1 Praefectus Magnus

• game boards: Ionium/Hellas + Imperium/Cyprus
• game rules
• quick intro


Venus Expansion for Concordia (base game is needed, box is 5cm deep)

GAME MATERIAL

42 Wooden Pieces
• 15 houses
• 3 sea colonists
• 3 land colonists
• 1 scoring marker
• 19 individually shaped units of goods
• 1 playing order marker

Cardboard Pieces
• 1 storehouse
• coins (as 1, 2, 5, 10 Sestertii)
• 1 card display
• 1 Praefectus Magnus

110 Cards
• 102 personality cards
• 6 player aids
• 1 Concordia
• 1 Praefectus Magnus

• game board: Ionium/Hellas
• game rules
• quick intro

Note: The Imperium/Cyprus map is not included in the expansion, but Imperium/Italy is already in the base game.
56 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Griffith
Indiana
flag msg tools
It's probably not as good as everyone says it is....
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there going to be price differences?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously so...
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for supporting both old and new players in this way!
44 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Griffith
Indiana
flag msg tools
It's probably not as good as everyone says it is....
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
Obviously so...

Maybe I should have said significant price differences. That's what I'm hoping for.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Lynch
Canada
Canning
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Any word if one of the maps will be excellent two player as some of the exspansions have been.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolai
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
Hidden trackable information in games sucks!
badge
I play games for fun and pursuing the goal to win the game is fun! :)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank Lamprecht wrote:

Note: The Imperium/Cyprus map is not included in the expansion, but Imperium/Italy is already in the base game.

That sounds as if buying the standalone Venus game is going to be the only way to get the Cyprus map. Is that true?
No offense, but I really don't like that! Why did you do that?
I want to have all maps, so this practically forces me to buy the full Venus package although I already own most of its probably pricey content from the Concordia base game. (I assume if the price difference weren't noticeable, you wouldn't offer a Venus expansion at all.)

This also has the disadvantage that if I want to bring all maps to a gaming evening to have the full selection available, I need to carry more weight than would have been necessary (Imperium+Italy and Imperium+Cyprus could have been four maps). (Bringing all of Concordia along by bike is already quite a weight challenge! )

Also, will the old Italy map go out of print then (assuming you won't reprint the old base game)?

Why didn't you simply keep the Italy map in Venus and save up one of the three new maps (either Ionium, Hellas or Cyprus) for the next map expansion?
26 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Darador wrote:
Frank Lamprecht wrote:

Note: The Imperium/Cyprus map is not included in the expansion, but Imperium/Italy is already in the base game.

That sounds as if buying the standalone Venus game is going to be the only way to get the Cyprus map. Is that true?
No offense, but I really don't like that! Why did you do that?
I want to have all maps, so this practically forces me to buy the full Venus package although I already own most of its probably pricey content from the Concordia base game. (I assume if the price difference wouldn't be noticeable, you wouldn't offer a Venus expansion at all.)
...
Why didn't you simply keep the Italy map in Venus and save up one of the three new maps (either Ionium, Hellas or Cyprus) for the next map expansion?

I feel the same.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJ
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I was saving to become a doctor or lawyer...but this was a chance for world peace.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll happily take two new maps over one, at a cheaper price point with all those extra expansion goodies, and doubt I'll feel like I am missing anything of note. Speaking as an avid Concordia player.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rontuaru wrote:
I'll happily take two new maps over one, at a cheaper price point with all those extra expansion goodies, and doubt I'll feel like I am missing anything of note. Speaking as an avid Concordia player.

Read again - it's 2 new maps over 3...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Griffith
Indiana
flag msg tools
It's probably not as good as everyone says it is....
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be disappointed if I have to buy the full game to ensure I don't miss out on a map.
21 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kozz84
msg tools
What am I supposed to do? Sell my old base game and buy the new standalone box?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bulhões
Brazil
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
JustinRRizzo wrote:
I'll be disappointed if I have to buy the full game to ensure I don't miss out on a map.

yeah, this stings
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fiomtec
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
Watcha looking at?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Darador wrote:
Frank Lamprecht wrote:

Note: The Imperium/Cyprus map is not included in the expansion, but Imperium/Italy is already in the base game.

That sounds as if buying the standalone Venus game is going to be the only way to get the Cyprus map. Is that true?
No offense, but I really don't like that! Why did you do that?

Imagine why yuk
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Baum
msg tools
kozz84 wrote:
What am I supposed to do? Sell my old base game and buy the new standalone box?

Sounds like that's what the company wants you to do. Manufacturers know about our hobby's completionist tendencies, and rather than including a $1.00 piece of cardboard in a box (and charging an extra dollar), they'll make you go out and spend an extra $20.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
da baum wrote:
...rather than including a $1.00 piece of cardboard in a box (and charging an extra dollar)...
That's not how that works.
57 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vega777
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure there will be a way to get the Imperium/Cyprus map separately. If they so desperately wanted to trick you into buying the standalone game, they wouldn't be offering the expansion.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I for one am fully intending to (persuade somebody else to) buy the full Venus (I mean, you wouldn't want one with the arms missing now, would you?). I already own everything that I can get my hands on (and it's a lot) but I want

(1) to support PD Verlag and Mac Gerdts
(2) the deeper box
(3) to absolutely ensure that all the cards match perfectly (though it would only matter for aesthetic reasons)
(4) (as an unexpected bonus) the Cyprus map

I was fully intending to get "the full Venus" before I knew that there was another map, this just clinches it. Man, I am so excited!
9 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not seeing the Venus expansion listed under the core Concordia page. Is it on BGG yet?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Leroux
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I am hoping they improve with this standalone game is the card art and iconography. I know most diehard concordia players wont agree with me, but I always found the art of this game quite unintuitive. Having to explain each god suites to new players is unecessarily made more complex due to the graphic design.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Griffith
Indiana
flag msg tools
It's probably not as good as everyone says it is....
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad Jensen wrote:
da baum wrote:
...rather than including a $1.00 piece of cardboard in a box (and charging an extra dollar)...
That's not how that works.

I'm not in the industry, and therefore do not know costs, but I am inclined to agree with David. Paper is cheap. The cost of adding one more board to the "expansion" version, both to print and ship, cannot be high.

I'm confused by this note in the OP "Note: The Imperium/Cyprus map is not included in the expansion, but Imperium/Italy is already in the base game."

Did they just rename the Italy map to Cyprus? Or are we actually missing out on the Cyprus map if we buy the expansion?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinRRizzo wrote:

Did they just rename the Italy map to Cyprus? Or are we actually missing out on the Cyprus map if we buy the expansion?

You are misisng out on Cyprus.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fiomtec
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
Watcha looking at?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to read Mac's take on this.

Putting a map from the base game, removing the other, and adding a new one that you can only get if you buy the full box is, if correct, a big FU to those of us who have supported Concordia from the beginning.

What's worse, given the date I doubt that they can correct it before the launch, assuming they wanted to.

If it ends like this, I'm going to be really disapppointed in PD-Verlag. It would be a classical case of "hey, we did the separate expansion because we're thinking of everybody", but they manage to make it worse than if they had only sold the base Venus game.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Spath
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:

(3) to absolutely ensure that all the cards match perfectly (though it would only matter for aesthetic reasons)


This isn't a comment way either way on whether the expansion or standalone version is better, but to this point, my reading of the OP is that Venus replaces all cards for all players anyway, since both versions seem to come with the same 110 cards.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinRRizzo wrote:
Chad Jensen wrote:
da baum wrote:
...rather than including a $1.00 piece of cardboard in a box (and charging an extra dollar)...
That's not how that works.

I'm not in the industry, and therefore do not know costs, but I am inclined to agree with David. Paper is cheap. The cost of adding one more board to the "expansion" version, both to print and ship, cannot be high.
Maybe not, but $1 on the manufacturing is likely to be $4 on MSRP, which might put it outside the acceptable cost that they believe that they can sell it at. As to the hobby's completionist aspect, that's certainly not a universal feature, so the price hike necessary to appease the (estimated) 10% of owners of the base game that have everything may not be justified.
Quote:
I'm confused by this note in the OP "Note: The Imperium/Cyprus map is not included in the expansion, but Imperium/Italy is already in the base game."

Did they just rename the Italy map to Cyprus? Or are we actually missing out on the Cyprus map if we buy the expansion?
Perhaps they thought that it was important to include a new map board in the expansion (and so they put it in the full game too) and maybe they felt that they needed a map that could cope well - out of the box - with the full player range of the full game; something that they don't need for existing owners as there are plenty of maps available via existing expansions, so they didn't include it in the expansion. I don't see the issue (or the conspiracy), but then I'm buying the full game anyway.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] |