GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,269 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades » Game Valuations

Subject: Impulse buys that you're ambivalent towards, later. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Hubbard
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Mark Hubbard
(paracletus3)

Sometimes life puts us weird places, and we get faced with odd choices.
In this particular instance, I am referring to seeing a game that I knew nothing of, in a place I'd never be able to go back to, knowing that if I didn't pick it up NOW, I'd never get another chance...a classic Now or Never situation. (This was years before I found out about the Geek and it's informational resources).

On vacation, I wanted a time-filler: something small and flat that could fit into luggage.
I saw a game called Battle of Bunker Hill, by Chatham Hill Games. I picked the packet up, and was pleased with the theme of American War of Independence. Ooooh look! It looked like there were chits or tiles inside. *drool* Small, flat, inexpensive..."Dad! DAD!!! We gotta go!!!!!" Like I said, Now or Never...

Took it to the hotel room that night after kids were asleep, and found that this game had NOTHING to do with the ACTUAL Battle of Breed's/Bunker Hill. Yes, it was a similar time-frame game called "Asalto", and it does recreate the tension of a small fighting force holding off a larger invading force, but...I'm ambivalent about it.
Yes, there is a disclaimer about the game being "Asalto" right on the front of the game (in little letters), but for all I knew, I was buying a simulation of the real-deal. How was I supposed to know what "Asalto" was? I had to buy the thing in order to read all the fine print inside...classic case of "Catch 22", if I ever saw one!

Anybody ELSE want to 'fess up about being ambivalent towards impulse buys?
Your Tags: [Add Tag]
Tag:
Popular Tags: [View All]

Posted On: 0000-00-00 00:00:00
Edited On: 2007-09-10 02:56:48
Add Favorite | Comment | Hide All Comments | Add Item | Edit Header | Edit Items | Delete

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
50% less stuff = 50% more game time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gee, see my trade list. laugh

Off the top of my head:

JSCH, a tile laying, area enclosing tile game from Family Pastimes. It's got a New Age aliens to save the world theme pasted on it. It's so New Age that there are pieces that have no purpose.

Age of Napoleon, which is beautiful to look at, but I can't wrap my head around the diplomacy/insurrection/neutrality rules. And, I'll always need an opponent for it. I don't think I can get any solo value our of it. But it's a heavy thing to ship, so I can't trade it just anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.