Root» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Riverfolk problems rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seb

-
msg tools
mbmbmb
I've played all factions at least a couple of times, and the Riverfolk 4 times now. Every game with them I lost with 15-18 points scored. Other players bought a grand total of 4 to 8 funds worth of services per game, no matter my prices or what factions they were playing. They simply said they did see the need for buying my stuff, apart from a few exceptions (1 riverboat and 1 mercs in 4 games, and 2-4 cards bought per game, when they were important to them).

I'm not giving up yet and I came up with an idea for my next game:
- Get my 2 free funds every turn
- Try to get 2-4 extra funds from other players (which I usually manage to do early)
- Never build Trade Posts (to keep my funds safe)
- Never play (apart from 1 single move, battle or craft for VP when I have an odd number of funds)
- Have something like 15 funds and 24 VP by turn 7
- Spend all the funds to craft or build Trade Posts for VPs and get to 30 by turn 7

My main issue is this mean basically not playing the whole game. The bright side is it would get me double the points I usually get by actually doing stuff every turn.

Am I missing something or this this impossible to counter (ableit very boring)?

Edit: Removed crafting during the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin C.
France
Annecy
flag msg tools
Not a traitor
mbmbmbmbmb
you can't craft without building trade posts. this will make your funds vulnerable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't score any Dividends if you have no trading posts on the map, so you need at least one, and if you try this strategy, don't expect it to survive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seb

-
msg tools
mbmbmb
Good point, remove the crafting from my list (apart from the last turn).

I think it would still work though, crafting is a minor part of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seb

-
msg tools
mbmbmb
Damn it, I guess I'm back to my 15 points per game then ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or do a better job selling your services!

Riverfolk is an advanced faction for a reason. You need to show other people how they can get what they want, all for the low price of...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rav
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I played Riverfolk, I made sure to point out to each player at the start of their turn which of my cards for sale would be great for them, where/why they should use my rivers, or show that with my mercenaries, they could have control over key locations X, Y and Z.

Park a bunch of warriors in a sawmill heavy place to make the cats pay you to control it, so they can get their wood out. Or entice others to pay you to be able to smash it all on their turn. Force eyries hand by blocking something in their decree unless they buy your mercs (Build in Clearing X, control that clearing).

You have to be much more active to get sales, and when you do, immediately turn them into more tradeposts. You get 2vp, the tradepost on the board and a warrior to go along with it. Riverfolk are amazing crafters because even if that tradepost is destroyed, they can still craft with it. As long as you're using all of your actions each turn and not relying on dividends, the loss of a tradepost won't cost you anything. You lose half of your funds, which are the warriors in your funds box. It doesn't affect those in the committed box (I believe?)

Quote:

11.2.4 Funds. To take many actions, the Riverfolk commit
and spend funds: warriors in their Funds box.
11.2.5 Trade Posts. The Riverfolk score victory points
when they build trade posts.
I Trade Disruption. Whenever a trade post is
removed, the Riverfolk remove half of their
funds
, rounded up, and return the trade post
to the box.

So, once the tradepost is on the board, I stop caring about it because I never saved funds for dividends. Its loss didn't affect me. And I still ended with 25pts, in 2nd place in a 5p game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Mezzotero
msg tools
designer
I swear
badge
Running on last click
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, establish a protection racket! Everybody who doesn't buy at least 1 fund of stuff from you on their turn, gets attacked ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also want to point out to OP that trade posts have to be built with funds from the clearing's ruler. If all your funds are otters and you have no presence on the board, you won't be able to build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ravendas wrote:

Park a bunch of warriors in a sawmill heavy place to make the cats pay you to control it, so they can get their wood out. Or entice others to pay you to be able to smash it all on their turn.

You don't want to get too carried away trying to get sales over points. Why let another player claim those points when you can smash it all yourself?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The prices you charge should be based on the other factions in the game. If the Eyrie or Lizard Cult are in the game, the base price for cards for sale should be priced a little higher. But not too high.

If the MdC is in the game, recruit/move some warriors into a clearing with one of their sawmills and price your mercenaries at a point where they would rather pay you than attack you, using one of their limited actions, to get their wood.

You need to constantly remind other factions what you have on offer that will benefit them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moonwalkr wrote:
Also, establish a protection racket! Everybody who doesn't buy at least 1 fund of stuff from you on their turn, gets attacked ;-)

Yes, and to add to what Ravendas said, extortion is also a viable tactic. Can't get wood out (or move warriors out if you're Eyrie) if you control the clearing with your mercenaries.... but control is yours for the low, low cost of x funds (current turn only, future prices may fluctuate, future control of these same mercenaries cannot be guaranteed, other terms and conditions may apply)! This may also be helpful to move Riverfolk mercenary warriors into "hot spots" in the middle of the board (which also happens to typically be near the river for added movement flexibility!) to help swing control of a clearing to help another faction build in a clearing, etc. The Riverfolk may work best if ran almost as if they are an organized crime family - make the other factions use your services.... or else!

I haven't played the Riverfolk enough to be any kind of an expert on them but in addition to being an "advanced faction" you probably need to be playing with people that are not just beginners to Root. Playing with Riverfolk seems to me to require all of the players being pretty familiar with the game as the faction seem to require quite a bit of finesse (and overall player familiarity with the game) to win with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Peterson
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only played riverfolk once, and perhaps people were too generous in buying from me - but it is my second win to date.

Make sure you are explaining the mercenary rules correctly to the people you are selling to. This in particular seemed incredibly valuable in my game - by spending guys out of their reserves they were able to up their attack power drastically and have dominance in areas they were not even present. Along with my promise to spend their units allowing them to return to their supply almost immediately made it so I was almost always getting a couple sales a turn.

The fact that they say they do not see the value seems very odd to me considering it is essentially free units and domination for them unless they think they are going to run out of reserves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UtopianComplex wrote:
Only played riverfolk once, and perhaps people were too generous in buying from me - but it is my second win to date.

Make sure you are explaining the mercenary rules correctly to the people you are selling to. This in particular seemed incredibly valuable in my game - by spending guys out of their reserves they were able to up their attack power drastically and have dominance in areas they were not even present. Along with my promise to spend their units allowing them to return to their supply almost immediately made it so I was almost always getting a couple sales a turn.

The fact that they say they do not see the value seems very odd to me considering it is essentially free units and domination for them unless they think they are going to run out of reserves.

Running out of reserves can be an issue for a Charismatic-led Eyrie. Otherwise, yeah, it's an attractive deal for the Marquise and Lizards most of the time, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G S Bach
msg tools
mbmbmb
Please note the rule 11.2.7.III, by the way..

Essentially, the buyer "cannot" count Riverfolk's Mercenaries toward dominance victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.