United States
Rensselaer Falls
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Game Board designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't tried it yet, but was wondering if anyone else tried playing Die Zombie Die! with the advance cards? Does in affect play balance? I'm asking because I was thinking of the time (Ok, I'll admit it, I'm lazy) I'd save not picking out all the advance cards out of the card deck every time to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Shaw
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes -- its ok. Die Zombies Die is actually one of the ones where it theoretically DOESNT matter if you use 40 or 60 cards -- however, in a couple of the other scenarios, you have to get a couple to a few scenario-specific items (keys and gasoline, or 4 townspeople for instance). I was apprehensive about using all 60 cards, but their addition is balanced, particularly with the inclusion of 2 "Just What I Needed" cards.

I mixed in all the cards from the start -- have played 6 times, different scenarios, record is 3-3 heroes/zombies.

Love this game!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hill
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb

It's true, 'Die Zombies, Die!' was designed to be played either as the Basic game (40 card decks) or Advanced Game (with all 60 cards). It works well both ways. It is designated as the 'Basic Game Scenario' because the premise is easy to understand, the victory conditions are straight forward, and it plays rather fast. All in all, a good intro to the game mechanics.

That being said, using the Advanced cards with 'Die Zombies, Die!' makes it that much more interesting as a head-to-head battle scenario.

- Jason

Jason C. Hill
Flying Frog Productions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pratt
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Just admit it already, Small World is not a fantasy wargame...it's a Mancala variant!
mbmbmbmbmb
sshawmd wrote:
Yes -- its ok. Die Zombies Die is actually one of the ones where it theoretically DOESNT matter if you use 40 or 60 cards -- however, in a couple of the other scenarios, you have to get a couple to a few scenario-specific items (keys and gasoline, or 4 townspeople for instance). I was apprehensive about using all 60 cards, but their addition is balanced, particularly with the inclusion of 2 "Just What I Needed" cards.

I mixed in all the cards from the start -- have played 6 times, different scenarios, record is 3-3 heroes/zombies.

Love this game!!

It's been our experience that the Escape in the truck scenario is wayyyy too easy. The heroes have won it four times, and always before the sun track has hit 8. Next time we play, I think I am going to make the heroes find Jeb the mechanic to fix the truck before they can leave !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
vladdswrath wrote:
It's been our experience that the Escape in the truck scenario is wayyyy too easy. The heroes have won it four times, and always before the sun track has hit 8. Next time we play, I think I am going to make the heroes find Jeb the mechanic to fix the truck before they can leave !

-vladd

We came up with an alternate idea to run this scenario. Use the 8 numbered counters. Place one on each building. Remove a gas and keys from hero deck. Pick two numbers and those are the keys and gas. This way the heroes have to run from building to building instead of just doing endless searches in a single one. There's still a chance to find the keys or gas in the normal searching but the checking buildings gives them a sure method. If you really want to make it hard, just remove all keys and gas from the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Brown
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
actually, I hear that Jeb likes to be refered to as Jeb, the garage attendant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.