Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
1413 Posts
[1]  Prev «  53 , 54 , 55 , 56 , 57  Next »  [57] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » PBEM » Werewolf

Subject: Experimental - Corruption WereWolf - Day 3, Wolf Cub, 1 Enlightener Down rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhanddom wrote:
I'm not thrilled about the premature end, because it seems like evil could have corrupted at least one more of us as a courtesy? But that's all right.

Not unless one of you was at a 4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So does that mean Korte was our (original) sorcerer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Westwood
Kansas
flag msg tools
Smile!
badge
Smile!
mbmbmbmbmb
ortho_ wrote:
Yeah, we were going to have Tough Wolf call for the newly corrupted person to NF on Syntax.

I think Ludes made the right call ending the game.

Good game, everyone. It seems like good had some bad luck/evil had some good luck with the Corrupts/Enlightens.
at least I got something right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Westwood
Kansas
flag msg tools
Smile!
badge
Smile!
mbmbmbmbmb
xandryyte wrote:
Samool wrote:
Awoooo
ditto

Were you in fact evil?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terri K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Good golly people... my username has a lower case x!!
badge
Females play board games too!!! ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
I was not prepared nor expecting the game to end so quickly...

I do want to apologize to backpacker for my blowup. And apologies to all the players too for what happened after. I deeply regret how I said what I said pretty much immediately.

I am sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Sit tight, but the revolution's years away /I'm losing faith and I'm running low on things to say
mbmbmb
RoyalApe wrote:
ortho_ wrote:
Yeah, we were going to have Tough Wolf call for the newly corrupted person to NF on Syntax.

I think Ludes made the right call ending the game.

Good game, everyone. It seems like good had some bad luck/evil had some good luck with the Corrupts/Enlightens.
at least I got something right

Hahaha, yeah. When I turned evil, my first thought was that I was just basically a useless unaware aux. Since I read you as good, I thought my best use would be to goad you into a big fight that would suck up most of the attention of the day.

Then, I slept on it and realized that I actually probably had more value as a potential deep wolf, so I changed tactics mid-day.

But at the time when you NFd me, I was acting super evil. It was a good call on your part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Westwood
Kansas
flag msg tools
Smile!
badge
Smile!
mbmbmbmbmb
xandryyte wrote:

I do want to apologize to backpacker for my blowup. And apologies to all the players too for what happened after. I deeply regret how I said what I said pretty much immediately.

I am sorry.

I accept it. But I will have hard time with mid game sympathy again.

I think backpacker’s comments were very fair.

I think that concludes my commentary on the matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RoyalApe wrote:
xandryyte wrote:

I am sorry.

I will, without a doubt, never come back.

Goodbye.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucky Me, Lucky Mud
msg tools
badge
mb
xandryyte wrote:

I am sorry.
That's thoughtful of you, xand. But I still stand by the legitimacy of your initial protest (though replacing out is perhaps a bit strong, but I get that there's context, so even that seems legit enough) and especially of your objection to how TheFallen characterized it. You shouldn't have to point out the problems with that. Did the best I could, and while I'm open to critiques on how I went about that, silence simply wasn't an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhanddom wrote:
xandryyte wrote:

I am sorry.
That's thoughtful of you, xand. But I still stand by the legitimacy of your initial protest (though replacing out is perhaps a bit strong, but I get that there's context, so even that seems legit enough) and especially of your objection to how TheFallen characterized it. You shouldn't have to point out the problems with that. Did the best I could, and while I'm open to critiques on how I went about that, silence simply wasn't an option.

You're just spare parts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucky Me, Lucky Mud
msg tools
badge
mb
TheFallen wrote:
RoyalApe wrote:
xandryyte wrote:

I am sorry.

Goodbye.
Honestly, Shush, I think you're a better person than that. There's nothing here worth ragequitting a whole community over. Call me a Social Justice Warrior if you want, slang me up down and sideways, whatever. But nobody's out to gaslight you or harangue you or invalidate your own perspective on life. It's a difference of opinion, with some data to back it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhanddom wrote:
TheFallen wrote:
RoyalApe wrote:
xandryyte wrote:

I am sorry.

Goodbye.
Honestly, Shush, I think you're a better person than that. There's nothing here worth ragequitting a whole community over. Call me a Social Justice Warrior if you want, slang me up down and sideways, whatever. But nobody's out to gaslight you or harangue you or invalidate your own perspective on life. It's a difference of opinion, with some data to back it up.

Time and time again this community tolerates personal attacks when they are shrouded in indirect comments and passive aggression.

No more. You people are insufficient. You are lacking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucky Me, Lucky Mud
msg tools
badge
mb
TheFallen wrote:
Rhanddom wrote:
TheFallen wrote:
RoyalApe wrote:
xandryyte wrote:

I am sorry.

Goodbye.

Time and time again this community tolerates personal attacks when they are shrouded in indirect comments and passive aggression.

No more. You people are insufficient. You are lacking.
I would agree with you that that happens in this community. I've been on the other end of it, and I didn't like it at all. I don't think that this situation fits this pattern, but I'm open to being persuaded. Courtesy is preferred but I can't enforce it on you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terri K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Good golly people... my username has a lower case x!!
badge
Females play board games too!!! ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
RoyalApe wrote:
Were you in fact evil?
Yeah...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucky Me, Lucky Mud
msg tools
badge
mb
Also willing to make some extra allowances for you on the basis that that's a real thing and you're sensitized to it for real reasons. But I think you forfeit a lot of moral standing (not to say personal dignity) with intemperance in the face of a really fairly mild critique. You generalized beyond your data, you personalized the criticism with the use of a personal name and a gender, and the identification of the criticism as being of a kind that is routinely leveled at women is one that most netizens would find uncontroversial. I called out that criticism — not you as a person — as being (paraphrasing here) needlessly unkind. You can disagree with every single point in that list and I'll listen. But if the way I handled that is a "personal attack", is there any way of saying "yo, dude, not cool" that you'll respond temperately to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for running this, Ludes. I did terribly, of course, but that seems to be the pattern for my seer play in your games. (Curse of Avin *shudders*).

I'd be interested in seeing it tried in a larger format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucky Me, Lucky Mud
msg tools
badge
mb
TheFallen wrote:
backpacker wrote:
xandryyte wrote:
backpacker wrote:
OK.
I think you've made very few posts actually hunting for wolves
Congratulations, you've made me hate Werewolf again.
This seat is up for replacement again and will remain silent until such time that it isn't vacant.
Terri will be sticking to VS, BGA, and playing on my Switch for a while now.
My answer to my lingering question was, yes... yes, it was too soon since last game. soblue
So its all on me, then? Geez I hate when I do that shake So sorry.
Let the record show, I know nothing about your last game nor any of your 900. All I saw were 11 posts...

Terri's great, but she shouldn't be playing if she can't handle being confronted. There's nothing wrong with not wanting that, but it is an integral part of this game and maybe that's just not for her anymore.

It's not on you.

I mean, I'm open to anybody's advice on how this could have been handled better, or how I could have lodged the substance of my protest in a way that's even less of a personal attack. (Even "be less of a fount of polysyllables and tortured syntax" is within bounds, though ... have you met me?)

TheFallen wrote:
Rhanddom wrote:
I'm going to say that "Terri can't handle being confronted" doesn't fit the situation accurately as I see it (yes, I realize there was an "if" in there and all that, but I think it's a fair paraphrase anyway), and it's also a classic disrespectful putdown of women, whether it's intended that way or not. Any sympathies I may have with the position that "it's a conflict-intensive game, deal with it" are quite firmly overridden by that reality.

I'm going no farther with that in this thread, out of respect for xandryyte's preferences; and I'm not tarring backpacker's push on xand (which I think was at worst context-unaware) with that brush. Just, being sensitive to a particular kind of confrontation at a particular moment is something that happens to all of us. There are ways to allay backpacker's concerns about what may seem to him like a disproportionate reaction without throwing a gender-freighted slam in xandryyte's direction. Let's practice those, shall we?

I'm a misogynist because Terri theows a temper tantrum and rsge quits over someone questioning 11 posts in two game days and I say that is her not being able to be confronted?

That is utter and complete bullshit. And that is as polite as I can be.

This game is off the rails. I can't play with you anymore, Because that is absolutely abhorrent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucky Me, Lucky Mud
msg tools
badge
mb
And with that I'll stop talking and listen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madeline B
msg tools
No mountains, no valleys
badge
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level and then beat you on experience.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhanddom, in response, I would say that Fallen's post was addressed to backpacker. At least in my dialect of English, it's hard to refer to xand multiple times at once without using some kind of pronominal referent. So I'm not really sure what else you were expecting him to do there.

-

Looks like a challenging set. I was thinking about how I might have played it. I think there is a case to be made for enlighteners to not share the name of someone who reaches level 7. (Moves away from werewolf and towards awkward social gaming.)

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Suppose the two enlighteners die early. What is to prevent people from being like "welp, let's all [no lynch] and ask the wolves to [no kill] and convert us all so we can all win?" People need to be playing to their current win cons to prevent that/or paranoia about going back on a deal. I think "someone might be at level 7 and unable to convert with us" is a good precaution against this edge case and keeps things more on the werewolf side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Westwood
Kansas
flag msg tools
Smile!
badge
Smile!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think aux corruptor would be more interesting and balanced than wolf corrupters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
RoyalApe wrote:
I think aux corruptor would be more interesting and balanced than wolf corrupters

I agree with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucky Me, Lucky Mud
msg tools
badge
mb
I don't have a problem with:
* the wish to support backpacker's position in the conflict
* the use of a personal name (especially immediately after xandryyte referred to herself by name)
* the use of the word "she"; I mean, c'mon, totes normal
* the opinion that, generally speaking, players of social deduction / elimination games should be committed to wearing their asbestos skivvies for the duration

I do have a problem with:
* piling snideness atop sarcasm (in an already tense situation)
* doubling down on the directly personal aspect of the conflict by intentionally (as I read it) addressing person rather than persona
* generalizing beyond the immediate context to a blanket "can't handle being confronted"
* willful obtuseness about how that's a thing that men say about women all the time

Obviously these are all matters of interpretation, not "you used the N-word while grabbing for the underwear zone!" offenses. And interpretations legitimately differ. I thought I proportioned my response accordingly. Nu?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madeline B
msg tools
No mountains, no valleys
badge
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level and then beat you on experience.
mbmbmbmbmb
In this particular case, I felt like a generalization beyond the immediate context was appropriate, because it was referencing a pattern of behavior within different games. That's the same thing that other players had been trying to do when providing context for the read earlier. In the same way we might say "A often posts lots of gifs" or "B often snipes votes near dusk time," I think it has to be fair to say "C often reacts poorly to direct suspicion."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eeyore
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a terrible way to read Korte FWIW.
badge
Korte is STILL a black hole on d3.
mbmbmbmbmb
Samool wrote:
So does that mean Korte was our (original) sorcerer?

Bingo arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucky Me, Lucky Mud
msg tools
badge
mb
As a dispassionate assessment of how much or how little stimulus it routinely takes to achieve that level of response to an in-game ding on that person's play, for sure and certain that's in-bounds. As a reason why maybe that person shouldn't be playing this game at all, it's ... borderline? Certainly a bit presumptuous; but I'm sometimes presumptuous with my friends, sometimes even with people I don't know that well. I think it's probably always an error in a public forum, though hardly a hanging offense. But context matters; and when xandryyte had already said "it's not you, it's me" and started the process of stepping away, I don't think "don't let the door hit you on the way out!" is the kindest response.

Having said that, I think you're right, generalizing to a degree (even to a degree that makes it only, like, 80% true) is legit and on the level. So I'll shift that to the "things I don't have a problem with" list, and put "generalizing to a degree that one could have reasonably expected the subject of the generalization to find offensive" in its place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  53 , 54 , 55 , 56 , 57  Next »  [57] |