Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Nearing Weathertop
mbmbmbmbmb
We played ASLSK scenario 1, Retaking Vierville, again this week. We tried it last week, essentially nothing more than trying to grasp the mechanics, and this saw a comfortable win to the US paratroopers who fended off the German attacks.

This week we switched sides, with me taking the Germans. The Germans begin off board and have to advance in from both sides and have at least one unbroken unit in at least one of four buildings at the end of turn five to win. Learning from Roger's experience last week that there is no sense dallying, I moved my turn one reinforcements in at double time and managed to get into the N6 victory building by advancing up the road, out of sight of the four paratroopers in the centre of the village. If it could just stay that way for four more turns, I'd win. Yeah, right

The rest of my eastern reinforcements scurried into the building at Q6, which commands the northern approaches to the town. This is where the US reinforcements come in from, and it looked like a lovely place to lay down some serious fire and make their advance uncomfortable.

My western turn 1 reinforcements scurried in at double time and moved into the building adjacent to the L3 (?) victory building. During the advance phase, I slipped in and was now holding two buildings.

The next three turns was basically driven by the four on-board US squads sniping it out with my squads in the victory buildings, while my stack at Q6 harried the US reinforcements coming in from the north. They were very successful at this, aided by some more German reinforcements entering on T2/3 supported by an excellent 9-2 leader.

The US troops drove my Germans out of N6 and continually harried this stack until they routed into Q6. During this late stage in the five turn scenario, the northern reinforcements had finally broken Q6 stack and could advance past it and concentrate on evicting me from the remaining victory building at L3 - 12 firepower factors sitting under a 8-1 leader.

I thought I was secure for the win, however a lot of fire was directed into this building, which broke my leader and one squad. Two squads were pinned there and left to face our first close combat/melee. It came down to two dice rolls, one at 2-1 and one at 3-2 and they both came off. The two good order German squads were eliminated on turn five, giving victory to the US.

This was a blast to play, took about 2:45 hours, and we can say it literally did come down to the last die roll of the game ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chachere
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrhRipping yarn! I Could almost smell the cardboard!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.