Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: vassal [+] [View All]
Greg Denysenko

Rochester
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is it that I can download and play Vassal modules that are .mod, but others like shifting sands that are.zip - when I press Play Module- and select- says not able to play. Even when I rename the file to .mod it does not work- it gives me an IOC (?spelling) error.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had success when I unzipped the .zip files before trying to have VASSAL access them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Denysenko

Rochester
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I try to unzip any of these files- cyberboard, vassal- it always tell me my system is not configured to properly view this file- what do I do? This is driving me nuts!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A .mod file is a .zip file renamed. However, sometimes people ZIP the .mod file, so that there's a .mod INSIDE the .zip and Vassal cannot find the expected files. In that case, you need to unzip the .zip into the .mod inside. Confusing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Denysenko

Rochester
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes- very confusing-

So when I download the SS file- what do I do with it- it downloads as "shifting"-

do i open it, rename it, move it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Denysenko

Rochester
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should tell you I download onto my desktop- so it appears as a file as a piece of paper with a fold in the right hand corner and a window in the middle of the piece of paper ( can you tell I'm a computer novice?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just looked at the module, and got it to work.

- You have Shifting.zip on your desktop.

- Unzip it to your desktop. You will end up with "Shifting Sands" (no extension) and a .doc file.

- Rename "Shifting Sands" to "Shifting Sands.mod".

- Load VASSAL and select this .mod file, and it should work fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some computers have Zip software preinstalled. Others don't. It sounds like you might need to install some software to deal with Zip files. I have used 7Zip with some success. As a bonus, it's free.

http://www.7-zip.org/

To be specific, download and run the top 7-Zip file at the site above. Then doubleclick on the file and follow the prompts to run it. Then find the 7Zip program in your Start menu, under All Programs, and run it. Finally, use the Open option to find your zip file and the Extract option to unzip it. Save the unzipped file to your VASSAL Modules directory, and you should be set to run VASSAL with the module.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Denysenko

Rochester
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hey guys- thanks for your help. I got it to work at last. Now to figure it out. I actually got cyberbox to work- I think 7 zip was the answer.

thanks!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.